• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2012 Recruiting Target List

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Harris probably has the most upside of any recruit VT got last year. It figures that there's a chance he'll go elsewhere. This is why VT should move to the SEC so they can let anyone in like LSU genius Claiborne

I like Harris, but I'd argue there are several other guys with bigger upside than him. We did so well recruiting RB that I'm not overly worried. It'd be nice to land another stud this year to make sure we'll be alright.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Who? Everyone else is either too slow, raw or has weight to gain. He's about the only player that you don't have to "project" for

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe it's just me, but I have a far different understanding of "upside". I think Harris is ready to play physically (a good thing of course), which means his HS evaluation was more accurately tied to his college potential. Guys like Coleman (size), Conte (competition), and Estime/Nicolas (experience) are more rough, and therefore have more growth potential.

Maybe I'm crazy.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We better do anything we can to keep drew harris in orange and maroon. kid is a monster

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Of the guys you mentioned Estime and Coleman cannot gain enough weight to reach Harris' upside. Conte is too far away from a talent standpoint to make a claim that he has the most upside. Plus I've read he's a gym rat. Closer to maxed out than you might think? Harris would probably be the starter over Holmes by the fall if he came in early like Coleman. Just skimming over the 2012 list I see about everyone could use 20+ lbs. How are they going to move with that extra weight? We already know how Harris moves with 210-220. I think it's crazy to put anyone over Harris right now as far as potential. I was the most excited about him in the entire class. Not the most needed out the class but I thought he was going to be the best

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You're talking about Edmunds, I presume. His stats are unreal on both sides of the ball, and I don't doubt he'll be a stud for us somewhere. He fits into the same category as Holmes though, in that his numbers are hard to read due to the competition he faced.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Edmunds looks so much better as a RB I don't know why he's listed as a LB. Yes he looks damn good but what about the competition level? Harris gets the nod with me because he was playing against much bigger schools.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Of the guys you mentioned Estime and Coleman cannot gain enough weight to reach Harris' upside. Conte is too far away from a talent standpoint to make a claim that he has the most upside. Plus I've read he's a gym rat. Closer to maxed out than you might think? Harris would probably be the starter over Holmes by the fall if he came in early like Coleman. Just skimming over the 2012 list I see about everyone could use 20+ lbs. How are they going to move with that extra weight? We already know how Harris moves with 210-220. I think it's crazy to put anyone over Harris right now as far as potential. I was the most excited about him in the entire class. Not the most needed out the class but I thought he was going to be the best

I think we're still thinking of two different understandings of "upside", but we seem to agree that Harris will be the real deal.

I disagree a little on Coleman and Dadi, though. They'll never be prototypical size, but both outplay their current weight already and have room for more. Why can't Coleman move further towards a Ray Rice build? If Nicolas is holding his own at 220 or whatever he is (depends on where you look), he could be a monster at even an entry-level DE weight.

I don't think Conte is getting much bigger, but I'm sure his footwork and technique need work. BSH doesn't exactly see James Gayle or Luther Maddy line up on the other side.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What I'm saying is that there's too much projection involved with everyone else. Like I said almost everyone needs to gain weight. You can't assume that they will be able to and you can't assume they will be able to carry it as well if they do.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Are you sure about the measurables with those two? I thought they were fine in that department

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maddy's other offer was Central Michigan, right? We got him because Lafonte p-ssed out and Atlantic HS's coach spoke highly of him. He may end up being the best "get" from that entire class. At this point, he is.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gayle was super skinny and Maddy was short and slow, supposedly. I knew from the day we got Gayle that he would be a beast. You could see it in his film and bloodlines. Maddy was a pleasant surprise though.

HokieStone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not to be a dick but we got Maddy because Anthony chose Clemson! Doesn't matter really but that was what I had thought.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gayle was 6'4" and 220 when he first arrived at Tech....he's 260 now.

Maddy was 6'1" and 275 when he arrived....he's 288 now.

Both players have a very high level of "want to", an intangible that can't be measured in any quantifiable way.

Just a quick note...I hesitate a bit when I hear comments about players that appear to be the most physically ready to compete at the FBS level before they even arrive. I wish I had a nickel for every player in that category who never played any meaningful snaps for Tech, and another nickel for those players who became starters despite a lack of interest when recruited.

We've had plenty of players with million dollar bodies and ten cent heads. Give me the guys with high football IQs and a burning desire to turn themselves into outstanding FBS football players.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've had plenty of players with million dollar bodies and ten cent heads. Give me the guys with high football IQs and a burning desire to turn themselves into outstanding FBS football players.

i.e. Cody Grimm and Danny Coale off the top of the head

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just found this the other day, been lurking for about a week. Great forum, guys. I'll stick my head in here and ask a question or two...

Going back to the discussion of who preps/greyshirts... nobody mentioned Alston Smith, that I saw. I thought I'd heard he was probably in that category a while back. That wrong?