• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Utah Jazz - Los Angeles Clippers Game Thread.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta rebound and settle down. This is where we miss Mike most.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jazz playing terrible after a time out.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wheels on the bus are falling off. Sexton isn’t moving the ball and keeps getting trapped in the corner or under the trees in the paint. Teen wolf killed took the steam out of the game too, can’t guard a true big and dumb turnover.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hardy giving sexton some wisdom on the bench

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get olynik off the floor please

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be cool if Hardy puts Collin in after the lecture and then for Collin to go raging bull non stop for 3 minutes. Unlikely with their interior d tho

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That call broke the game off. Oh well, they fought

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I guess it wasn't a blowout.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sexton needs to keep studying film with Conley. Develop a change of pace other than bonsai!!!

Well, he’s working on his handles, passing, pick and roll, etc.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he’s working on his handles, passing, pick and roll, etc.

I have my sound on, so I watched this video.

Why did he always take exactly 3 dribbles, in the earlier exercise? That's not realistic.

I did like other parts of the training exercises.

However, the skeptic in me says that other players like him have done similar training exercises, and once the regular season games start, they don't really do what they've practiced. For various reasons.

Still, this beats most of my "Training Camp Stories" posts.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have my sound on, so I watched this video.

Why did he always take exactly 3 dribbles, in the earlier exercise? That's not realistic.

I did like other parts of the training exercises.

However, the skeptic in me says that other players like him have done similar training exercises, and once the regular season games start, they don't really do what they've practiced. For various reasons.

Still, this beats most of my "Training Camp Stories" posts.

You are right, he’ll be better at it if he doesn’t practice. No use doing it. He should totally just take one dribble and not practice, just shoot. But actually on second thought, the regular season game he’ll probably still miss and so why practice that either? Plus, I don’t think they should show us anyway because you know if that fans don’t have any reason to see it.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes I think in basketball, more than other sports, people do things in practice, then never use them in games. I don't know if it's a comfort thing, confidence thing, or if there are other reasons.

I am also now wondering if there's videos like this for a player on every team. If there are, then it unfortunately another line item for the Training Camp Stories thread.

I remember one year when a major story was that Okur was working on a floater. I don't think he ever used it once the regular season started, or if he did, it was probably less than 0.5% of FGAs.

What are some tangible assist or passing stats we should see from Sexton, as an indicator of improvement?

He made 30.9 passes per game last year:

In prior years:

2021-2022: 28.1
2020-2021: 49.2
2019-2020: 38.7
2018-2019: 45.5

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes I think in basketball, more than other sports, people do things in practice, then never use them in games. I don't know if it's a comfort thing, confidence thing, or if there are other reasons.

I am also now wondering if there's videos like this for a player on every team. If there are, then it unfortunately another line item for the Training Camp Stories thread.

I remember one year when a major story was that Okur was working on a floater. I don't think he ever used it once the regular season started, or if he did, it was probably less than 0.5% of FGAs.

What are some tangible assist or passing stats we should see from Sexton, as an indicator of improvement?

He made 30.9 passes per game last year:

In prior years:

2021-2022: 28.1
2020-2021: 49.2
2019-2020: 38.7
2018-2019: 45.5

OK, but what’s the alternative? I mean, I get that you can say that you are what you are, but one has to do something as professional athletes. there’s only so much weight, lifting, stretching, and shooting want to do before they want to improve something else even if they don’t do that exact move in a game, having that confidence, versatility, and maybe a tool to use somewhere is good. I understand that we wouldn’t wanna spend too much time on something that is not common, but I feel that if you can improve your passing skills, learn the plays well, you can maybe use some passing lanes that you want normally use.

This isn’t exactly him practicing trick shots or playing football. Maybe posting it for people to see it could be a training camp story, but assuming that he is genuine, he’s trying to get better at something.

I mean, I understand your point, but it seems a bit unnecessarily negatively cynical. Just my opinion. I know it would be ridiculous if I were to act like he is going to be the next Jason Williams.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, but what’s the alternative?
Apply what you've learned in games.

Or, work on FT%. Everyone who is a sub 90% FT shooter could work on that until they can shoot it 90.01% or better.

If working in passing skills, put up some assist or "passing stats" goals that you want to see this season.

Have the passing skills thing be integrated into two new or current regularly run plays.

I think what is often missing is some goal benchmark for the upcoming season, for the skill they are practicing. Whether it is an individual or team goal, something.

At this point, there are stats out there for 3-pointers created by assists. So whatever Sexton had last year, either per game or per season, let's see if he can do more.

There are probably even more detailed stats as to how many were to wings, how many were to corners. See if there is a specific area that's less than the others, and if those can improve.

There are probably stats as to player assist tandem.

See what Sexton's numbers are. Maybe see if the 2nd best combination with Sexton can improve (as long as it's still a good option).

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn’t exactly him practicing trick shots or playing football. Maybe posting it for people to see it could be a training camp story,
Lol that is one training camp story I don't want to see.

NBA Player: Player L is working on his golf swing.
NFL player: Player E is working on shooting basketballs.

I don't mind the one where Gordon Hayward plays tennis with random people on the internet, because I think the cardiovascular is similar between the sports.

I can't find the article right now, but there was an article about how Hayward would play tennis with random people in Utah. They didn't know it would be him, until he showed up.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apply what you've learned in games.

Or, work on FT%. Everyone who is a sub 90% FT shooter could work on that until they can shoot it 90.01% or better.

If working in passing skills, put up some assist or "passing stats" goals that you want to see this season.

Have the passing skills thing be integrated into two new or current regularly run plays.

I think what is often missing is some goal benchmark for the upcoming season, for the skill they are practicing. Whether it is an individual or team goal, something.

At this point, there are stats out there for 3-pointers created by assists. So whatever Sexton had last year, either per game or per season, let's see if he can do more.

There are probably even more detailed stats as to how many were to wings, how many were to corners. See if there is a specific area that's less than the others, and if those can improve.

There are probably stats as to player assist tandem.

See what Sexton's numbers are. Maybe see if the 2nd best combination with Sexton can improve (as long as it's still a good option).

I get it, but they can do both. They can track their stats as well as practice an ability to pass the ball. Gain some muscle memory. This just sounds like you’re saying that one cannot learn.

I understand that the game is more important than off-season. But what is he supposed to do in the off-season besides shoot free throws? How does he improve his assists to the three-point line… besides passing to the three-point line? You know, by practicing left and right handed passes. Trying to improve foot speed. Maybe watching video and getting taught about passing lanes and learning the offense through and through.

I feel that all you have said is how you measure it. We don’t need to measure his improvement outside of a game. I’m not measuring his improvement by a training video. But this is how he practices and I’m sure he does much more as well.

There’s no need to crown him or praise him, but the cynicism that all this is for naught/not seems like a bad take to me. I know that players can have a bad off-season program, and while there’s no right way of doing it, there probably are some bad ways of doing it. But this nihilistic outlook that it’s not going to improve is weird.

By the way, I agree on training camp stories as far as what people say about it. I’m just talking about the actual practicing.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 14.3 ppg is only on isolation plays, correct?

What were his TS% and PPT on isolation plays in some other years?