• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USA Today Coaches Poll

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True.

My only complaint is being behind ASU. Really Notre Dame killed themselves by losing to a weak Michigan team. Plain and simple.

I think ND will remain ahead of ASU in the BCS and that's all that matters.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say it over and over.

Rankings are not just about who would and did beat who. You can't look at rankings in terms of this team beat this team and so on. You'd end up in an infinite loop if you did it without bias/considered all games.

Rankings are about the kind of season the team has had. And that means even though that team would have won 9 out 10 times, they didn't this season. It's a rank on the season, which is in reflective on how good a team is, but how good a team is is not the only factor.

Cawt damn right 4d20.

Amazes me how folks argue over who is #20.... What does it matter other than a boost to the ego at that point.

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rankings are not just about who would and did beat who. You can't look at rankings in terms of this team beat this team and so on. You'd end up in an infinite loop if you did it without bias/considered all games.

Rankings are about the kind of season the team has had. And that means even though that team would have won 9 out 10 times, they didn't this season. It's a rank on the season, which is in reflective on how good a team is, but how good a team is is not the only factor.
Interesting observation, and the military offers a parallel: Rank in the Army is granted on potential, vice accomplishments.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think ND will remain ahead of ASU in the BCS and that's all that matters.

I don't know. Struggling to beat Navy doesn't help anything.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter what could happen, only what did happen. Losing to ASU is going to be what likely keeps Wisky out of a BCS game.

And what did happen is Wisconsin got fucked over by referee crew whose conference had to issue a formal apology. If you aren't going to consider circumstances, then just use pure computers.

If you really believe "a result is solely what the final score indicates," get the fuck out of this thread, because you don't believe in human polls. If not, then quit being a blatant hypocrite troll.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what did happen is Wisconsin got fucked over by referee crew whose conference had to issue a formal apology. If you aren't going to consider circumstances, then just use pure computers.

If you really believe "a result is solely what the final score indicates," get the fuck out of this thread, because you don't believe in human polls. If not, then quit being a blatant hypocrite troll.

He's a Bulls, Yankees and Oregon fan.

Lol

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazes me how folks argue over who is #20.... What does it matter other than a boost to the ego at that point.

There's this thing called the BCS which ten teams play in at the end of the season. And they use this ranking system called the BCS rankings. And part of the BCS rankings is the Coaches' Poll. Coaches don't like to change up their rankings. So how teams ranked around #20 are perceived can directly affect who gets a BCS bowl.

Get it?

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i guess in NDs case it matters as they arent in a conference and their is no other way of measurement.

In ASU, Wisky, Texas, and the others that constantly argue over poll positioning I laugh. ASU and Texas still control their destiny for a conference title and a BCS berth.

To me that is all that really matters. Anything extra is just icing on the cake.

Before Oregon got thrust into the NATTY debate every year for the last 4 seasons (which kind of sucks as far as message boards go) I was just hoping for a conference title and said screw the rankings.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i guess in NDs case it matters as they arent in a conference and their is no other way of measurement.

In ASU, Wisky, Texas, and the others that constantly argue over poll positioning I laugh. ASU and Texas still control their destiny for a conference title and a BCS berth.

To me that is all that really matters. Anything extra is just icing on the cake.

Before Oregon got thrust into the NATTY debate every year for the last 4 seasons (which kind of sucks as far as message boards go) I was just hoping for a conference title and said screw the rankings.

Sometimes I wish we were in a Conference, but more times than none, I enjoy being independent.

Being Independent allows us to get some teams on the schedule like ASU this year. And hopefully a match up with the Ducks in Jones World to kick off the season!

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cawt damn right 4d20.

Easy to say when you are sitting at 2 after a bye. People care where their teams stand and the rankings do matter. If not, then why do we rank them?

That comment smelled a bit of elitism.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are top 8 - and Texas is not even ranked.:bullshit:

Texas deserves to be ranked in the top 25 no doubt by now. If you were an SEC team you'd be a top 15 team.

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we end up winning out and losing to Oregon in the conference championship game I think the Rose Bowl would select ASU over Stanford, but we would have to be in the top 14 of the BCS.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we end up winning out and losing to Oregon in the conference championship game I think the Rose Bowl would select ASU over Stanford, but we would have to be in the top 14 of the BCS.

Well somebody from the PAC better end up in the rose if Oregon ends up in the NATTY.

What a nightmare having Fresno in the Rose...:L

That is worse than TCU in the Rose.

Disgraceful

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not a bad thought process, But:

1. Ohio St
2. Alabama
3. Florida St
4. Baylor
5. Oregon
6. Stanford
7. Missouri
8. Clemson
9. Arizona St
10. Georgia
11. Michigan St
12. Miami
13. Oklahoma
14. South Carolina
15. Wisconsin
16. UCF
17. Notre Dame
18. Virginia Tech
19. BYU
20. Louisville
21. Texas A&M
22. Oklahoma St
23. Michigan
24. LSU
25. Auburn

:wtf2:

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well somebody from the PAC better end up in the rose if Oregon ends up in the NATTY.

What a nightmare having Fresno in the Rose...:L

That is worse than TCU in the Rose.

Disgraceful

If Oregon wins on thursday and goes to the national championship Stanford would go to the Rose for sure as long as they won out. After reading up on the selection process I think they would choose the south winner over Stanford if they lose the championship game but finish in the top 14.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad thought process, But:

:wtf2:

Those rankings are directly off my computer rankings. The only exception is I moved Oregon above Stanford.

VT has a top10 SoS right now according to the computer, and it thinks they will go 8-4 on the season with their only remaining loss coming against Miami. Which will probably drop them down to the 20-25 range. It's not a bad ranking IMO.

Personally thought Georgia was the bigger question mark.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those rankings are directly off my computer rankings. The only exception is I moved Oregon above Stanford.

VT has a top10 SoS right now according to the computer, and it thinks they will go 8-4 on the season with their only remaining loss coming against Miami. Which will probably drop them down to the 20-25 range. It's not a bad ranking IMO.

Personally thought Georgia was the bigger question mark.

I've seen your computer predictions do some impressive things. This is just not one of them. They barely beat ECU and Marshall. They have 3 losses. They just lost 2 in a row to Duke and BC.

They are not top 40, imo.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Oregon wins on thursday and goes to the national championship Stanford would go to the Rose for sure as long as they won out. After reading up on the selection process I think they would choose the south winner over Stanford if they lose the championship game but finish in the top 14.

Why on God's green earth would you think any of this? They'll take the highest ranked team...but this is a moot discussion, as there is no way ASU would be top14 after getting blown out.