• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Underrated Coaches

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Shaw - if you can consistently win at a school where academics are first and foremost and the school's administration, alumni and students give zero fucks about football and your players have to actually know how to read and write and major in subjects like Physics, Bio Chemistry, Pre Med, etc and not General Studies, African American Studies, Sports Management, etc then you are a damn good coach. Shaw is consistently underrated at Stanford. Again, I've always said this man is the best coach in all of CFB today.

Gary Patterson - picks up the scraps left over by Texas, OU, A&M, etc and makes it work. Never has a top 15 recruiting class and should have played for 2 NC's in '10 and '14.

Matt Campbell - is winning at Iowa freakin' State. I repeat, Iowa freakin' State.

Josh Heupel - Pretty sure he'll keep dominating at UCF if he stays. UCF could be the next Florida school to start dominating in that state. They are clearly the #1 school in the state of Florida right now. Would like to see the Big 12 extend an invite to them in 2024.

Herm Edwards - I have a feeling Herm is going to turn ASU into a contender for the Pac 12 title on a consistant basis (I know that doesn't mean much today since the Pac 12 is complete ass and the weakest P5 conference in the world). I follow ASU football since I lived in Scottsdale for 10 years and the Sun Devils were legitimately an ass hair away from a 10 win season this year. These are the same players that were getting blown out in games the last 3 years due to Graham's sorry ass.

Terrible list for the most part - Shaw and Patterson are both horribly overrated.

Campbell is NOT underrated whatsoever. He's a top 10 coach. Have already said this numerous times now.

Heupel - He was in the right place at the right time with the current UCF roster. Let's see how he does with his own recruits before deciding. Not saying he can't eventually make the list but perspective is needed.

Herm Edwards - Only guy on your list who could be argued for inclusion, I like him so far.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, I'm the only one on the forum who has Matt Campbell as a top 10 coach:

NCG set, Urban is retiring, who's your top 10 head coaches headed into next season?

So how in the hell is he anywhere close to being underrated? Do you not understand the definition of the word?

Think before posting next time. JFC!

Your opinion doesn’t matter. Very few people will have guys like Campbell and Rhule in their top 10. Most Casual football fans dont even know who they are

droider

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll go through the P5 coaches and list the ones I deem underrated.

Derek Mason- Has Vandy right around bowl eligibility every year, easier said than done
Mark Stoops- He has Kentucky respectable
Dave Clawson- Has Wake Forest respectable
Bronco Mendenhall- 8 wins at Virginia is nothing to sneeze at
Kirk Ferentz- Easy targets for jokes, but he has Iowa at around 8 wins most every year

I like all these except for Stoops, don't think he classifies as underrated. I had Mason on originally but then took him off. He's actually probably going to be fired after next season which is unfortunate because I think he can be successful somewhere.

One thing about Bronco - UVA is a sleeping giant, such a regional hotbed for recruiting and they're also a quality university so someone should be able to turn things around pretty easily. They've always had retards in the administration though, that's always been their main problem.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like all these except for Stoops, don't think he classifies as underrated. I had Mason on originally but then took him off. He's actually probably going to be fired after next season which is unfortunate because I think he can be successful somewhere.

One thing about Bronco - UVA is a sleeping giant, such a regional hotbed for recruiting and they're also a quality university so someone should be able to turn things around pretty easily. They've always had retards in the administration though, that's always been their main problem.

UVA isn’t focused on revenue sports. Just not the culture there. I don’t see them lowering standards and letting more kids in. They certainly have the ability to go there and be successful, I just doubt they will ever go that route

droider

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UVA isn’t focused on revenue sports. Just not the culture there. I don’t see them lowering standards and letting more kids in. They certainly have the ability to go there and be successful, I just doubt they will ever go that route

That's very true and a great point about admission standards affecting performance. They're like a carbon copy of UCLA in that regard.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible list for the most part - Shaw and Patterson are both horribly overrated.

Campbell is NOT underrated whatsoever. He's a top 10 coach. Have already said this numerous times now.

Heupel - He was in the right place at the right time with the current UCF roster. Let's see how he does with his own recruits before deciding. Not saying he can't eventually make the list but perspective is needed.

Herm Edwards - Only guy on your list who could be argued for inclusion, I like him so far.

David Shaw is far from overrated. He is severely underrated. Name one coach in the country that could win at Stanford the way he does and don't say Saban. Too many obstacles in the way for Saban to succeed at Stanford.

droider

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's get some controversial guys to chat about:

Ed Orgeron - Eventhough both @TigerBait1971 and I would prefer him elsewhere, is there something to be said for the lovable cookie monster? Are we too hard on him?

Barry Odom - Any takers?

Mike Norvell - I've always hated this guy for some reason, but am I being irrational?

Willie Fritz - Meh, hasn't really done shit yet at Tulane but maybe should not be forgotten? This was his 3rd year and he did make and win a bowl game, so baby steps?

Kliff Kingsbury - Not a head coach currently (by choice, wisely turned down Houston), but I've always thought he got a bad rap and is generally solid. Really dumb for TTU to fire him and replace him with junky Matt Wells.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ed Orgeron - Eventhough both @TigerBait1971 and I would prefer him elsewhere, is there something to be said for the lovable cookie monster? Are we too hard on him?

Barry Odom - Any takers?

Mike Norvell - I've always hated this guy for some reason, but am I being irrational?

Willie Fritz - Meh, hasn't really done shit yet at Tulane but maybe should not be forgotten? This was his 3rd year and he did make and win a bowl game, so baby steps?

Kliff Kingsbury - Not a head coach currently (by choice, wisely turned down Houston), but I've always thought he got a bad rap and is generally solid. Really dumb for TTU to fire him and replace him with junky Matt Wells.

Kliff is your typical Air Raid Coach. He is a genius with offense, but he doesn’t really care about the defense. I really haven’t see one of those guys embrace both sides of the ball.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Barry Odom - Any takers?

No issue with any other than Barry Odom. His coaching is a big reason why Mizzou lost to Kentucky and South Carolina, and was THE reason why they lost to Okie State. Mike Gundy took him to school. With the pieces on the team, Pinkel would have went 10-2, only losing to Bama and UGA, and would have been playing today, probably against Penn State in place of Kentucky.

droider

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kliff is your typical Air Raid Coach. He is a genius with offense, but he doesn’t really care about the defense. I really haven’t see one of those guys embrace both sides of the ball.

They made some decent strides in that area last year but then kinda stepped back again this year. Just so hard to recruit defensive players to the Big 12.

No issue with any other than Barry Odom. His coaching is a big reason why Mizzou lost to Kentucky and South Carolina, and was THE reason why they lost to Okie State. Mike Gundy took him to school. With the pieces on the team, Pinkel would have went 10-2, only losing to Bama and UGA, and would have been playing today, probably against Penn State in place of Kentucky.

Fair points. Pinkel, now there was a guy who took too much grief and was underrated.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Shaw is a terrible coach, no way he is even on the average coaches list.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Shaw is a terrible coach, no way he is even on the average coaches list.

Ridiculous. Guy is at a minimum a solid coach. I do think this year showed what kind of OL coach Bloomgren is.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the first guy on your list, PJFleck. No one talks about him, so imo, he is underrated. Most will say he hasn't done anything yet, so how can you even rate him either way? I can't dispute that. But my prediction is that after next season, everyone will have him on their top coaches list. So in retrospect, it will be seen that he was underrated. Since that's my team, I hope I'm not proven wrong.

droider

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PJ Fleck is light years better than Harbaugh with vast more upside, I'm just happy the Wolves don't have him.

I'm sure he'll coach in the SEC next.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

they are pretty amazing in hoops right now.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PJ Fleck is light years better than Harbaugh with vast more upside, I'm just happy the Wolves don't have him.

I'm sure he'll coach in the SEC next.

He won't ever leave Minnesota. UMn recently built a new FB Stadium, and it's expandable, and they just last year built a new practice facility/athletes village. If he delivers them a Big West Div Title, he'll get a big raise and extension. If he delivers them a B1G Conf Title, he'll get a lifetime contract, lol.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they are pretty amazing in hoops right now.

That is the coach. They do it with team ball. They don’t get the stars. They have the potential, but the culture at UVA would have to change dramatically to have extended success. I don’t think that will happen and it isn’t necessarily a bad thing

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the first guy on your list, PJFleck. No one talks about him, so imo, he is underrated. Most will say he hasn't done anything yet, so how can you even rate him either way? I can't dispute that. But my prediction is that after next season, everyone will have him on their top coaches list. So in retrospect, it will be seen that he was underrated. Since that's my team, I hope I'm not proven wrong.

Only because of the job he did this year. I think they won as a 20+ pt dog this year and lost as a 20+ favorite this year or something close to that. That team was way too inconsistent to give PJ a positive mark on the year

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the coach. They do it with team ball. They don’t get the stars. They have the potential, but the culture at UVA would have to change dramatically to have extended success. I don’t think that will happen and it isn’t necessarily a bad thing

not really arguing your overall point but they did build a dope ass arena three years before they hired Bennett

Bennett is pretty solid on the recruiting trail but he doesnt get the burger boys

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever is coaching army