• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Two year extension for Bradford

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2nd year of Bradford's deal is simply a way to retain the rights ... if he works out the Birds will sign him to a longer term contract after the 2016 season ... then the cap hit for year two will end up being between 16-18. If he doesn't work out then you end up paying him 2 mil more than if you would have franchised him (22 total as opposed to 20 for the tag). Simply keeping him year two and taking a the huge cap hit is not a very likely scenario ... they either cut him or rework a long term deal.

Yeah. So they in essence agreed to pay him $22M rather than the $20M franchise tag for this year. Then the contract has a $22.5M cap hit in 2017, so they will almost assuredly cut or renegotiate. Explain to me how this is better than using the franchise tag?

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. So they in essence agreed to pay him $22M rather than the $20M franchise tag for this year. Then the contract has a $22.5M cap hit in 2017, so they will almost assuredly cut or renegotiate. Explain to me how this is better than using the franchise tag?

Retain the rights for 2017. After the 2016 season he would not be free to negotiate with other teams unless cut. Also placing the franchise tag on him would have been a 20 mil cap hit for this year as opposed to 12.5.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retain the rights for 2017. After the 2016 season he would not be free to negotiate with other teams unless cut. Also placing the franchise tag on him would have been a 20 mil cap hit for this year as opposed to 12.5.

So the options...

1. If he has a bad year and stays healthy he makes $22M for one year.
2. If he gets hurt, he gets $26M guaranteed for this year and next.
3. If he plays well and is injury free he gets the $18M and the Eagles can keep him for next year for another $17M, but will be inclined to extend him to avoid the big cap hit and also because he proved to be a good player.

So if he is bad he gets paid amazingly well and becomes a FA. If he is good he gets paid well and his rights are held for one year. If he is hurt he collects $26M. Bradford and his agent did well under every scenario.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And your other option is to draft one for need or sign some other FA. It's QB....the hardest position on the field to nail. Much better odds with Bradford than any other option.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt Bradford is in the driver's seat ... he wins regardless. The Eagles are are gambling he pays off though and posts a top 10-12 type season (which he is capable of imo).

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get. Did everyone watch the same Eagles I watched? The Philadelphia Eagles, not the BC Eagles, or some other team? Bradford looked very good last year after he got his football legs. He had no running game, his WR dropped everything thrown to them, the interior OL was a revolving door. I would rather keep him, build up the OL, get some surehanded WR's, and have a D that teams are scared of, than, drafting a rookie, who 8/10 don't pan out.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a show me deal. If he lights it up he's extended or he teaches the next guy some things. It's a franchise tag deal for two years at a discount and without the hard feelings.

I agree.. and I'm all for giving him another shot in a system better for him. I don't think Chip even ran HIS system the way we were originally told (spread offense, running the ball more, using run to setup the pass). Chip let his feelings about Murray completely misuse him. I am even willing to give Bradford 2 seasons as it will be a new system AND the OL still needs to improve to protect him. With protection, I do think he majorly improves.

My biggest problem with Bradford after watching him so much last year - he just looks lost and shows so little leadership at times. That has to translate to other players. I watched him shrug his shoulders like he was confused so many times - it's ridiculous. He isn't on the sidelines studying film, or talking to other WR's about adjustments... he is often just sitting alone, looking lost. He really loses me with that, no matter what athletic ability he has. One of the major reasons I liked TO (on the field) was his work ethic and dedication to becoming the best. I just don't see that drive in Bradford.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you didn't care.. wouldn't you not respond.. and let the thread fall down the list the way others do?? Was that really necessary?

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It takes up needless time to see if there is anything worthwhile in the comments.

The are more important and exciting things going on.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players love him and say Bradford is super professional and a leader. What you probably saw was Bradford thinking wtf is Chip doing. Many players shared in the same disbelief.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who spiked the kool-aid again? Bradford is mediocre. Best available option, yes. Top 10-12 QB!? :pound::pound::lol:

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess, if your goal is sixth in the conference.

lol. Would you rather have the 3rd, 4th or 5th best available? Would that get you a higher finish?

I only come back here to witness the trainwreck anyways.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. Would you rather have the 3rd, 4th or 5th best available? Would that get you a higher finish?

I only come back here to witness the trainwreck anyways.

If the 3, 4, or 5 had a higher upside, yes. Bradford isn't gonna suddenly develop after 8 years.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the 3, 4, or 5 had a higher upside, yes. Bradford isn't gonna suddenly develop after 8 years.

Why not? His problems have mostly been injuries. He's heading into this offseason healthy.