• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Two trick pony?

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is no more capable than last years. The bullpen may be worse at this point in time, then last years. Not looking good for the stretch run.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is no more capable than last years. The bullpen may be worse at this point in time, then last years. Not looking good for the stretch run.

You're probably right! I think our offense is worse this year, while I like Kendricks, we have been lacking a solid leadoff guy all year, oh that's right we had a good one last year! We are about the same as last year, but we still should make the playoffs, and if Kershaw and Grienke can come through this year we still have a shot! It's still about good pitching and who gets hot playoff time!

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just don't understand how we have so many holes with the largest payroll in MLB history. I think the front office will learn from their mistakes and will hopefully address the bullpen. I know they have tried to fix it but they haven't. We need to spend money on the pen and spend it wisely.

At this point, the trade looks like it has done little to nothing to help us. Wood probably needs another year in the minors and Latos is finished. Our bullpen arms have not adjusted well. I appreciate the front office holding on to the kids, but I am wondering if we are over-valuing some of our prospects. The Blue Jays look to be the favorites right now but they gave up quite a bit. I seriously doubt that Urias, Seager, De Leon and Holmes all become elite All-Stars like our front office believes.

The front office must put the bullpen at the top of the list this year. It might be time to get a new bullpen coach as well. We need to do whatever the Cardinals are doing because they take the opposite approach we do and always succeed. At the end of the day, the front office has done some things well, but they have made several mistakes as well. We don't know how effective they are given the endless amount of money they have access to.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand how we have so many holes with the largest payroll in MLB history. I think the front office will learn from their mistakes and will hopefully address the bullpen. I know they have tried to fix it but they haven't. We need to spend money on the pen and spend it wisely.

At this point, the trade looks like it has done little to nothing to help us. Wood probably needs another year in the minors and Latos is finished. Our bullpen arms have not adjusted well. I appreciate the front office holding on to the kids, but I am wondering if we are over-valuing some of our prospects. The Blue Jays look to be the favorites right now but they gave up quite a bit. I seriously doubt that Urias, Seager, De Leon and Holmes all become elite All-Stars like our front office believes.

The front office must put the bullpen at the top of the list this year. It might be time to get a new bullpen coach as well. We need to do whatever the Cardinals are doing because they take the opposite approach we do and always succeed. At the end of the day, the front office has done some things well, but they have made several mistakes as well. We don't know how effective they are given the endless amount of money they have access to.

The payroll narrative is so played out.... the Dodgers took on huge contracts from the Red Sox (Agon, Crawford etc) and are paying Kershaw $30+ million per year plus another $20+million per year to Greinke. They had to pay a huge chunk of Kemp and Haren's salary as well - had they not done that there would be no Grandal. I think you are taking the wrong perspective on payroll as it has also allowed the front office to protect Urias and Seager as well as not gutting the depth accrued within the farm system.

As I have always said, there is a long term approach with Kasten that I love. That is why I think we are roughly 3 years away form competing in the World Series. Overvaluing prospects? Maybe. But trading away prospects for rentals is short term thinking that will only drive the payroll up even more.

Woods needs another year in the minors? Huh? What is that going to do for him? He would be a #2 starter a lot of MLB teams.

Latos is an issue.... I did not know much about him before we signed him. I mean, I watched him pitch (especially when he was playing for the Padres). But that lumbering, slow delivery is getting run on like wild fire. In the playoffs, that will be magnified. I'm not inspired by Latos at all. I just do not see it. Is he finished? No. Does he make us better? Well, compared to Bolsinger... no.

The Cardinal narrative is played out as well. The Cardinals are good because they do protect their farm system. You cannot expect Friedman to have this thing turned around in one season. It takes years to build what that Cardinals have developed. The Dodgers are in a much better place now then they were one year ago - but a large margin.

However, despite a great effort, Friendman and Co. were not able to polish this team to a World Series contender, at least it does not appear that way now. A good team, but not great. I stand by my prediction.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The payroll narrative is so played out.... the Dodgers took on huge contracts from the Red Sox (Agon, Crawford etc) and are paying Kershaw $30+ million per year plus another $20+million per year to Greinke. They had to pay a huge chunk of Kemp and Haren's salary as well - had they not done that there would be no Grandal. I think you are taking the wrong perspective on payroll as it has also allowed the front office to protect Urias and Seager as well as not gutting the depth accrued within the farm system.

As I have always said, there is a long term approach with Kasten that I love. That is why I think we are roughly 3 years away form competing in the World Series. Overvaluing prospects? Maybe. But trading away prospects for rentals is short term thinking that will only drive the payroll up even more.

Woods needs another year in the minors? Huh? What is that going to do for him? He would be a #2 starter a lot of MLB teams.

Latos is an issue.... I did not know much about him before we signed him. I mean, I watched him pitch (especially when he was playing for the Padres). But that lumbering, slow delivery is getting run on like wild fire. In the playoffs, that will be magnified. I'm not inspired by Latos at all. I just do not see it. Is he finished? No. Does he make us better? Well, compared to Bolsinger... no.

The Cardinal narrative is played out as well. The Cardinals are good because they do protect their farm system. You cannot expect Friedman to have this thing turned around in one season. It takes years to build what that Cardinals have developed. The Dodgers are in a much better place now then they were one year ago - but a large margin.

However, despite a great effort, Friendman and Co. were not able to polish this team to a World Series contender, at least it does not appear that way now. A good team, but not great. I stand by my prediction.

I understand that but I are no other teams taking the same approach we are in regards to assuming payroll? The Royals, Cardinals and Pirates aren't doing it and are having more success than we are. I understand that we need to be patient, but we need to hold this team accountable. A good friend summed up my feelings recently when he said "No team has done less with more than the Dodgers". I hate it, but I can't argue.

I understand we got Grandal but when does the spending stop? I'm glad we kept Urias and Seager but why do we feel Holmes and De Leon are untouchable as well?

I am not a scout, but Wood doesn't look comfortable out there. Again, its my personal opinion only. I think he will be our future 5th starter but he doesn't look comfortable in a Dodger uniform. The talent is there but I am confused as to why he is struggling. The same can be said for Johnson and Avilian. You have to admit that all 4 pitchers have taken a nose dive since the trade. It makes no sense. They can all turn it around of course, but Johnson and Latos have been a disaster.

The Cardinals are good because they draft well and develop well to. We do not draft well nor we develop. Where is Zach Lee, Ethan Martin, Chris Reed, Chris Anderson? These guys should be on our staff now, but they were traded because they didn't perform or they aren't that good. I keep bringing up the Cardinals because we don't pattern our decision after theres.

Example, the Cardinals would NEVER have drafted Funkhouser, yet, we did. We knew it was a long shot and we wasted our pick. Not a good way to start the first draft right? The Cardinals believe in building a superior pen, we don't and trade for scrubs from other teams. The Cardinals don't make excuses for injuries and find a way to win(Wainwright and Adams) we do and can't find ways to win (Ryu, Puig, McCarthy). The Cardinals don't really make free agent splashes, yet we do on a yearly basis.

Bottom line is that there is no accountability within the organization. The McCourt excuse is old and blaming Colletti isn't helping either. This front office has made poor decisions and we are living with it. I have faith in them and it will clearly take more than one season, but it is depressing to see obvious boneheaded moves being made in year 1. The mistakes are starting to add up in all honesty.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What was better about the team last year?

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do not draft well nor we develop. Where is Zach Lee, Ethan Martin, Chris Reed, Chris Anderson?

Zach Lee is in AAA. He was drafted out of high school. HS draftees take a longer time to develop. He is only 23 years old.

Ethan Martin is on the Phillies.

Chris Reed is on the Marlins.

Chris Anderson is in AA. He is the same age as Zach Lee.

Baseball Prospectus | Overthinking It: Promoting Prospects

From 2005-2009, the average player making his major-league debut was 24.4 years old

Worth noting, the man responsible for drafting all those guys (Logan White) is no longer with the Dodgers - he is now working for the Padres. The man responsible for developing them (De Jon Watson) is also gone - he is now working for the Diamondbacks.

The new Front Office, by EXTREMELY early ratings, flopped in the first draft given that the first pick is getting TJ surgery and the second pick didn't sign at all. This draft rating can and will change significantly with the performance of the other dozen or so guys that did sign and are currently in the development process. Personally, I've been more excited by some of the later picks than I ever was of the first two.

The development process has been revamped big time since Freidman hired Gabe Kapler to do that. We'll see how it pans out in the long run. It's way too early to judge.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was better about the team last year?

He didnt say last years team was better! I think he is saying we are about the same as last years team? I think we have better players this year, but our chances of winning it all are about the same as last year!. With different results from Kershaw and Greinke in the playoffs and a little more offense we can make some noise and maybe win it all. We are a pretty good team, not great or really good by any means!