• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tuck Rule

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y! SPORTS

"As the NHL's VP of hockey operations Kris King told Elliotte Friedman, the jersey tuck rule has been in the league's rulebook for almost 50 years, but now it will be strictly enforced."

Semin shoots (haha) the puck with his sweater tucked in, and when he is done shooting, his sweater is untucked, resulting in a delay of game penalty.

Holy cow. If this becomes a thing and decides a crucial outcome of a game, that will be really controversial.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny comment in the comments of the article:

"If Gretzky was dead, he'd be rolling over in his grave. But he's not. So he's probably just sitting at home shaking his head."

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm having trouble trying to figure out how tucking in your jersey is unsafe. Seems to me it would be safer. Can't get the end of your stick caught in the shirt tail with it tucked in. Gretzky said he did it for that reason when he was shooting or making a pass. Silly rule if you ask me.

Ox

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it has to do with image/ads. CCM put their logo on the other side of Wayne's jerseys so it would show. This may be pre-emptive to selling logos in jerseys. Sponsers dont want to pay if players will hide the ad.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are Jagr and Alex going to do? I think this has more todo with selling jerseys than Ayer safety.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y! SPORTS

This one is crazy too. Both guys remove each others helmet to avoid the helmet removal rule.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y! SPORTS

This one is crazy too. Both guys remove each others helmet to avoid the helmet removal rule.

Haha that's freaking awesome. I hope Bettman was pissed off when he saw that.

As for the tucked jerseys, I think it has more to do with image more than anything. The NHL is very non-NFL and non-NBA in regards to the players, their backgrounds, ethics, etc. Essentially they do not like flash and want everyone to be on an even level in terms of image.

I'm pretty sure that's why it will be enforced (FYI, this rule has always been in the books - it's not new. It's just finally going to be enforced) although we will get the "we need our sponsors to get their views" spon on it.

Think about it - this rule has been in place almost 50 years; back then advertising was nothing. This is all about preserving the "NHL is classy not trashy" image.

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think a jersey tuck makes you look trashy, lol.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would guess it has something to do with the fight strap. hard to have it attached if your jersey is tucked in.

from the NHL rulebook:

A player who engages in a fight and whose jersey is not properly “tied-down” (jersey properly fastened to pants), and who loses his jersey (completely off his torso) in that altercation, shall receive a game misconduct penalty.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y! SPORTS

So what they expect is for players to punch eachother through helmets and visors? This stupid beyond belief. I think this is one of those rules, specifically to take fighting out of the NHL.