• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trevor May retires, blows up A's owner on the way out

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quote of the Week
‘Take mommy and daddy’s money somewhere else, dork’
Trevor May was a decidedly above average starting pitcher during his nine years of MLB service. Yesterday, May officially retired and, free from the shackles of future employment stakes, uncorked a 101-mph rant aimed directly at Oakland A’s owner John Fisher.

The full quote deserves space here, because it was spectacular:

“Sell the team, dude. Sell it, man. Let someone who actually takes pride in the things they own, own something ... Take mommy and daddy’s money somewhere else, dork. And also, if you’re going to be a greedy f—, own it. There’s nothing weaker than being afraid of cameras. That’s one thing I really struggled with this year, not just eviscerating that guy. Do what you’re going to do, bro. You’re whatever."

Emphasis mine on the bold there. And May pitched this season — his final one — for Fisher’s A’s, I should add.

May’s profane farewell adds to the groundswell of Fisher detractors imploring the owner to sell the team before the franchise’s expected move to Las Vegas after the 2024 season.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I wish more players would say this out loud. Not that their actions in FA in ghosting the A's don't say it already. Speaking of cheap owners, Sherman better start spending *some* money on the Royals or he's gonna get the same treatment and apathy from me. New owner shine and inheriting a trash team is not permanent immunity from criticism.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I wish Tampa would just move to another city. 19k people for a playoff game is a disgrace.
I couldn't believe that shit. Not a legit baseball town, don't care the time or day. Don't like saying this, but they deserve to be moved to another city. Maybe some think going to Tampa proper helps, but if a playoff game in St Pete can't draw there, nothing will be a salve.

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I wish more players would say this out loud. Not that their actions in FA in ghosting the A's don't say it already. Speaking of cheap owners, Sherman better start spending *some* money on the Royals or he's gonna get the same treatment and apathy from me. New owner shine and inheriting a trash team is not permanent immunity from criticism.
Feeling this too as an Orioles fan. People can say what they want about Peter, and a lot can be said about it, but he did invest in the MLB payroll (and sometimes to the detriment of the club.) He had at least a league average payroll, if not more, in over half of the seasons since 2000 until 2017. At the peak of the last competitive period, it was at least $140 million and went up to $164m.

And now? It was half of that this season, and even $100m less in some seasons since then. You can’t tell me that the infrastructure changes- which absolutely were needed and many Orioles fans have wanted for at least a decade- cost us $70-80m a year. This is the time for the Orioles to be strategically adding to the core via free agency, and I have a feeling they are just going to sit back on it.

We need a salary floor in the league in the worst way.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feeling this too as an Orioles fan. People can say what they want about Peter, and a lot can be said about it, but he did invest in the MLB payroll (and sometimes to the detriment of the club.) He had at least a league average payroll, if not more, in over half of the seasons since 2000 until 2017. At the peak of the last competitive period, it was at least $140 million and went up to $164m.

And now? It was half of that this season, and even $100m less in some seasons since then. You can’t tell me that the infrastructure changes- which absolutely were needed and many Orioles fans have wanted for at least a decade- cost us $70-80m a year. This is the time for the Orioles to be strategically adding to the core via free agency, and I have a feeling they are just going to sit back on it.

We need a salary floor in the league in the worst way.
You can't really "blame" the Orioles for having a low payroll this year because they were fortunate enough to have a few younger (inexpensive) players prove themselves. So now that Rutschman, Henderson, etc. have proven to be a good core they should be spending money This off-season. So if they don't go after any free agents this winter I'd be disappointed.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quote of the Week
Trevor May was a decidedly above average starting pitcher during his nine years of MLB service. Yesterday, May officially retired and, free from the shackles of future employment stakes, uncorked a 101-mph rant aimed directly at Oakland A’s owner John Fisher.

“Sell the team, dude. Sell it, man. Let someone who actually takes pride in the things they own, own something ... Take mommy and daddy’s money somewhere else, dork. And also, if you’re going to be a greedy f—, own it. There’s nothing weaker than being afraid of cameras. That’s one thing I really struggled with this year, not just eviscerating that guy. Do what you’re going to do, bro. You’re whatever."

Emphasis mine on the bold there. And May pitched this season — his final one — for Fisher’s A’s, I should add.

May’s profane farewell adds to the groundswell of Fisher detractors imploring the owner to sell the team before the franchise’s expected move to Las Vegas after the 2024 season.

1000 percent this.

Nothing worse than some asshole who inherits something his parents took pride in and loved and they treat it like that.

Sell the shit to someone who is going to love their investment and the sport.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plays for the team 1 year, makes 8 Million .... quits and gives the owner the finger as he runs away.
Even if the owner is an asshole .....it's a bit cowardly way for May to handle it.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plays for the team 1 year, makes 8 Million .... quits and gives the owner the finger as he runs away.
Even if the owner is an asshole .....it's a bit cowardly way for May to handle it.
Yep.

Disgruntled former employee with HS education tells billionaire what to do with his money.

This isn’t a rare thing to see.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep.

Disgruntled former employee with HS education tells billionaire what to do with his money.

This isn’t a rare thing to see.
Fuck that owner though. I bet the people of Oakland appreciated his sentiments.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck that owner though. I bet the people of Oakland appreciated his sentiments.
Probably.

But they can also blame their city government for shutting down multiple plans for a new stadium. Since the local government owns the one the A’s are now leaving.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quote of the Week

I love the quotes, but I did some fact checking and the thing about Trevor being a "decidedly above average starting pitcher" is a reach. He started a total of 26 games, most in the first 2 years of his career, and he was pretty bad at it.

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't really "blame" the Orioles for having a low payroll this year because they were fortunate enough to have a few younger (inexpensive) players prove themselves. So now that Rutschman, Henderson, etc. have proven to be a good core they should be spending money This off-season. So if they don't go after any free agents this winter I'd be disappointed.
They needed to go with another veteran SP. Kyle Gibson, while solid and a good leader for the younger pitchers, They were tied to a lot of guys in the second tier- Bassitt, Walker, Taillon- and didn’t get any. It just seems that they got cold feet and were unable to justify the costs according to those dialed in with the team.

Additionally, they cheaped out at the deadline with Jack Flaherty, instead of going after other options including his former teammate Jordan Montgomery.

Also, comments directly from the owner about probably not being able to extend our young talent without a substantial increase in revenue from the fans is extremely frustrating.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The A's gave a 33 year old mediocre middle reliever $7M, and he is bitching about the owner being cheap?

he should be sucking Fisher's dick

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More like the thousands more that DON'T show up for that asshole
Ok, but what was the excuse when they were actually good and no one showed up? 100% blame the owner, but it’s not like the city or the fans aren’t to blame just as much.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, but what was the excuse when they were actually good and no one showed up? 100% blame the owner, but it’s not like the city or the fans aren’t to blame just as much.
It's not so simple. They did draw more when they were good. But the stadium is so shitty of an experience that people don't come. No one goes to Rays games either.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not so simple. They did draw more when they were good. But the stadium is so shitty of an experience that people don't come. No one goes to Rays games either.
I’m not debating the Rays, I fully think they should be relocated to Orlando. And the stadium being shitty is on the fans though isn’t? Sure the billionaires should pay for their own stadium but that isn’t how it works.