• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade/Free Agent Talk

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite a few deals at the GM meetings last week. Also, I'm sure there was plenty of groundwork laid for the upcoming winter meetings, December 7 - 10.

My trade proposal if we don't resign Fowler:

Cubs acquire CF Jake Marisnick and LF Robbie Grossman
Astros acquire RHRP Pedro Strop, OF Matt Szczur and LHRP Zac Rosscup

Astros lose LHRP's Sipp, Perez, Thatcher and RHRP Qualls to free agency. They have Springer, Gomez, Rasmus, and Tucker for their outfield. They get depth for their bullpen.

Cubs get a CF and leadoff hitter in Marisnick and outfield depth in the switch-hitting Grossman. Grimm moves into the set-up role with Neil Ramirez back to full health for middle relief.

My free agent preferences other than resigning Fowler:

1. SP David Price
2. SP Jordan Zimmerman
3. SP John Lackey

All three have playoff experience too.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners and Rangers pull off a similar trade today to the one I propose for the Cubs and Astros.

Mariners acquire CF Leonys Martin and RP Anthony Bass
Rangers acquire RP Tom Wilhemson, OF James Jones, and a player to be named later

Both teams dealt players from positions of depth.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strop gone???

:rockon:

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest trade rumor from MLB Network:

Cubs acquire OF Brett Gardner
Yankees acquire 2B Starlin Castro

Cubs get CF and leadoff hitter in Gardner
Yankees get Castro to replace Dustin Ackley at 2B

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like defensive center fielders are becoming a valuable commodity.

Tigers acquire CF Cameron Maybin
Braves acquire LHRP's Ian Krol and Gabe Speier

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest trade rumor from MLB Network:

Cubs acquire OF Brett Gardner
Yankees acquire 2B Starlin Castro

Cubs get CF and leadoff hitter in Gardner
Yankees get Castro to replace Dustin Ackley at 2B

I really do not need another outfielder on this team, but as far as family support for Castro, apparently he has alot more in New York than he does in Chicago. The bright lights of Yankee Stadium though?

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs acquire LHRP Rex Brothers form the Rockies for minor leaguer Wander Cabrera.

Brothers had been designated for assignment. He's a good low risk/high reward acquisition and adds lefthanded depth to our bullpen.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Astros are dumping payroll to save money for a free agent signing.

Players sent packing in one way or another:

Jed Lowrie
Jonathan Villar
L.J. Hoes
Robbie Grossman
Tony Sipp
Chad Qualls
Oliver Perez
Joe Thatcher
Luis Cruz
Scott Kazmir

Maybe we can pry Jake Marisnick away from them if we don't resign Fowler.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess its Houston after 05, go all in and then back to the dumpster. Dont remember having the kids like they do now though. Maybe they are just gonna promote.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I also think they are going to promote some youngsters but maybe include some playoff experienced role/bench players and pinch-hitters like a Denorfia, Gomes, K. Johnson, Uribe, etc.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. The Astros are clearing more payroll by non-tendering 1B/DH Chris Carter and shipping C Hank Conger to the Rays for cash considerations.

$$$ for some free agent!

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By Carrie Muskat / MLB.com | @CarrieMuskat |

CHICAGO -- As expected, the Cubs tendered offers to Jake Arrieta, Travis Wood, Pedro Strop, Hector Rondon, Justin Grimm and Chris Coghlan on Wednesday, and also agreed to terms with left-handed relievers Rex Brothers and Clayton Richard on 2016 contracts.

The Cubs did not tender contracts to right-hander Ryan Cook and lefty Jack Leathersich. All but Leathersich were arbitration-eligible. Teams had until 10:59 p.m. CT Wednesday to tender 2016 contracts, and if they did not, the players would become free agents.

• Hot Stove Tracker

In addition to Brothers and Richard, 26 players from the 40-man roster were tendered 2016 contracts. That includes 20 who were not yet eligible for arbitration.

Arrieta, the National League Cy Young Award winner, who led the Major Leagues with 22 wins, is in line for a significant raise. He made $3.63 million last season, and MLBTradeRumors.com projects he could receive $10.6 million in arbitration.

The Cubs have had some talks with Arrieta's agent regarding a possible long-term deal. He will be a free agent after the 2017 season.

Wood, who began the year in the rotation and made a successful switch to the bullpen, made $5.685 million last season. Strop was paid $2.525 million, Rondon $544,000, Grimm $531,500 and Coghlan $2.505 million. This is the first year Rondon and Grimm are arbitration-eligible.

Rondon set a personal high with 34 saves and compiled his best ERA (1.67), appearing in a career-high 72 games. MLBTradeRumors.com projects he would receive $3.6 million in 2016. Strop also set career highs in games (76) and innings pitched (68), and Grimm posted a 1.99 ERA in 62 games.

Brothers, traded to the Cubs on Nov. 25 for Minor League lefty Wander Cabrera, agreed to a one-year, $1.42 million contract. The lefty, who turns 28 on Dec. 18, split the 2015 season between the Rockies and Triple-A Albuquerque, and posted a 1.74 ERA in 17 big league relief appearances.

Richard, acquired in a trade with the Pirates in July, signed a one-year, $2 million deal. He appeared in 23 games, making three spot starts, and became the prime lefty in the postseason, giving up three hits over 4 2/3 scoreless innings.

With all the moves, the 40-man roster is now at 36.

kinda surprised with Wood expecting to get almost 6.4 million, but they might just work out a couple year deal for 10 or so after signing Cabrera and Richards back.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great article. Looks like we're stockpiling bullpen pieces with the addition of LHRP Edgar
Ramos off waivers from the Mariners. So now the 40 man roster is at 37. My gut tells me we're going to be including some bullpen piece in a trade next week.

Cubs in serious talks on a multi-year deal with John Lackey. Hope we get him!

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Castro, R.I.B. [rest in Bronx]

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees take Castro off our hands. Super UT Zobrist, RHRP Warren, and 2B/SS Ryan the result.

The Moose

The Moose is loose!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees take Castro off our hands. Super UT Zobrist, RHRP Warren, and 2B/SS Ryan the result.
Zobrist was a good signing for the Cubs. Gives them a veteran to lead the infield. He's still a slick fielder and he will fit right in, in the #2 hole in the lineup.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zobrist was a good signing for the Cubs. Gives them a veteran to lead the infield. He's still a slick fielder and he will fit right in, in the #2 hole in the lineup.

We didnt have a problem with the 2 hole in the lineup or leadership trouble in the infield, lineup trouble was 6,7,8.

Theo will clear out all the hendry guys before long, just Baez is left. I just hope he gets a shot at center field, or just put Bryant in center and leave Javy at third.

Zobrist will still play all over. If they can move Montero they will let Schwarber catch a few games a week and Zobrist will be in left. He will be in Right when they rest Soler.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heyward's a Cub!

CF Heyward
2B Zobrist
3B Bryant
1B Rizzo
RF Soler
LF Schwarber
C Montero
SS Russell
P Arieta

Baez and Coughlin are the top backups for infield and outfield. As usual with Maddon, they will play a lot, especially with Schwarber ticketed to catch 40 games this year in his development.

I can see one more trade that will fortify our pitching depth. One partner could be the Rays who are looking for young offensive pieces and have pitching to trade.

Potential trade:

Cubs acquire LH Drew Smiley and RHRP Jake McGee
Rays acquire Kyle Hendricks, Gleyber Torres, Jamier Candeleirio, and Dan Vogelbach

Cubs add to starting and relieving depth. Tremendous flexibility for the pitching staff.
Rays get a younger pitcher in Hendricks and get their future SS/2B in Torres, 3B in Candeleirio, and 1B/DH in Vogelbach.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heyward's a Cub!

CF Heyward
2B Zobrist
3B Bryant
1B Rizzo
RF Soler
LF Schwarber
C Montero
SS Russell
P Arieta

Baez and Coughlin are the top backups for infield and outfield. As usual with Maddon, they will play a lot, especially with Schwarber ticketed to catch 40 games this year in his development.

I can see one more trade that will fortify our pitching depth. One partner could be the Rays who are looking for young offensive pieces and have pitching to trade.

Potential trade:

Cubs acquire LH Drew Smiley and RHRP Jake McGee
Rays acquire Kyle Hendricks, Gleyber Torres, Jamier Candeleirio, and Dan Vogelbach

Cubs add to starting and relieving depth. Tremendous flexibility for the pitching staff.
Rays get a younger pitcher in Hendricks and get their future SS/2B in Torres, 3B in Candeleirio, and 1B/DH in Vogelbach.

They are already saying they want Lucroy to be the catcher, trying to get Montero dealt. Contrares is ready to play, I would love to see him be here with Ross, Contrares and Schwarber catching those 40 games, its easy to see you let Baez play 2b when Schwarber catches and Zobrist goes to the outfield. I dont know if they will move Heyward around from center to right Alcantara makes the team this year, cuz Coghlan is not playing center, he can pretty much play left. I know maddon will move guys around like he does, but its also not gonna shock me if we see Schwarber dealt to the AL either.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lucroy would be an awesome addition. He finished 4th in the MVP voting not too long ago. Everyone is saying he has a good chance to be the Comeback Player of the Year. I believe his pitch framing skills are among the best.

I haven't heard that rumor, but moving Montero first would seem to be a must.