• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Total Loss of Interest in Women's World Cup

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, and it's different with every country/federation, but as for the USWNT, I for one have no issue with them being paid the same, or at least close to the same as the men's team, as they do generate a lot of revenue, probably more than any other women's team (and maybe a lot of men's teams). Even in years where the men do qualify for the WC, the women still generate a ton. Plus, they actually have won it several times.

(and honestly, you have to figure to pay the USWNT the same would be chump change in the whole scheme of things...)

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry dude, here is the article I was referencing. Forgot to provide the link I said I would...

Here are the strongest arguments the USWNT makes in its discrimination lawsuit

I mean, I really don't see how one can argue that the Women's team doesn't deserve at least CLOSER pay to what the men make based on this... Can't really use the, "Well.... IF the men HAD qualified for the WC in 2018...."... Well, they didn't and that is kind of the point here.

That’s true but then it’s kind of not. Sure we shouldn’t “what if” when describing the men or even women in this situation. But it still speaks in volume that we are. The competition in men’s is supremely better than women’s. Women have may more opportunities in this country then any others and I think that matters. Is it fair to say it, maybe not in this discussion but it is the truth. I think it’s because of said competition that the men will always get more interest (when they don’t embarrass us) and qualify for the WC. That’s why I understand the pay difference. However at the end of the day, if the women are bringing in more money then they absolutely deserve more pay.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s true but then it’s kind of not. Sure we shouldn’t “what if” when describing the men or even women in this situation. But it still speaks in volume that we are. The competition in men’s is supremely better than women’s. Women have may more opportunities in this country then any others and I think that matters. Is it fair to say it, maybe not in this discussion but it is the truth. I think it’s because of said competition that the men will always get more interest (when they don’t embarrass us) and qualify for the WC. That’s why I understand the pay difference. However at the end of the day, if the women are bringing in more money then they absolutely deserve more pay.

Honestly, my feelings is that they need to make the TREATMENT of the teams more equitable and at the very least narrow the pay gap.

But IMO it is a matter of 24 or so female athletes... Just pay them equally and be done with it. The PR will MORE than make up for the pittance it would require to make it equal. Nobody is saying that NWSL girls need to be paid more. US Soccer already helps keep that league viable.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hooligans here can’t be happy about Rapinoe sending the USWNT through....

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot believe there have not been any comments on how Rapinoe's injury is the direct result of bad karma.

Very sad....

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm watching. I don't give a rat's ass who protests what, honestly. That goes for all sports...

Specifically to Women's soccer, it is what it is... You can either appreciate it or not. Serena Williams is an awesome female tennis player, but would likely get slaughtered by the 100th ranked male... The game is a bit slower. Doesn't bother me... And to be fair, I have a daughter in travel soccer, so that probably helps shape my opinion...

To me, basketball is the sport where the Women's game is unwatchable, but to me that is due to the way basketball has been marketed here as more of a "Highlight Reel" sport and women simply cannot physically do what the men can....

Exactly, it's a different day and time. People feel a certain way about the head man in office and social media puts it out there. It wouldn't bother me if the White House stopped the invites entirely. I don't see the correlation anyway unless it's a national team.

I have a daughter that played sports growing up so I was always supportive even though I didn't think they were worth watching. The only women's sport I really enjoy watching now is the LPGA tour. Those gals play the same length tees that many of us weekend hacks play yet they are soooo much better than we are. WNBA is basically a joke.

That said, I watched the last 15 mins or so of the USWNT vs England in a bar yesterday...it was kinda fun slapping hi 5s with people you don't know for a USA team though.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that a second payer has come out and states she has no respect for the office of the Presidency of the country that pays her and allows her to play, I went from very high interest to none at all. And I'm not a republican, I am an American.

I've just had it with spoiled brat athletes who have no respect at all for anything but themselves.

Won't even check the scores.
Too bad you got the rainbow ratings removed, this post really needs a rainbow.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serena does nothing to draw me to watch womens tennis because I don't think she is attractive. I have watched attractive tennis players play. Same with volleyball and beach volleyball.

As to women's basketball, the lack of highlight NBA type of show crap makes the game better in my opinion. I don't watch NBA or WNBA.

No offense intended because I've been in this boat myself...This is a pretty piss poor approach to watching female athletes, but it's the reality...more guys would rather watch Anna Kournikova play tennis than they would Serena.

I have even done worse...I refused to vote for a female candidate because she was homely looking imo....no other reason.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATL96Steeler said:
I have even done worse...I refused to vote for a female candidate because she was homely looking imo....no other reason.

Her initials weren't 'HRC' were they?

:bolt:

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s revisit in 4 years.
Maybe the US will lose and everyone can claim karma......

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they started crying about being paid less than the men and not understanding how economics work I lost all interest in them. I enjoy the U20’s though.
The economics are odd though. The USWNT draws well-* traditionally, they have a HUGE travelling fan base, the TV ratings for the World Cup were great, and they kick ass! They deserve equal pay IMO. Maybe, just maybe, that would light a fire under the USMNT.

*-I have seen both the Men and the Women in friendlies, and the women outdrew the men in the games I attended.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The economics are odd though. The USWNT draws well-* traditionally, they have a HUGE travelling fan base, the TV ratings for the World Cup were great, and they kick ass! They deserve equal pay IMO. Maybe, just maybe, that would light a fire under the USMNT.

*-I have seen both the Men and the Women in friendlies, and the women outdrew the men in the games I attended.

The men recently missed out on a WC berth and lost two friendlies vs mediocre squads while playing a young squad in those themselves. That’s what I blame for the women outdrawing the men the last two years. Beyond that, I’ll wait and see what next year and qualifying for Qatar can do for the men. At the end of the day though if the women are out drawing or very close to bringing in what the men do then I am absolutely for them getting equal pay or more.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The economics line of thought is weak sauce in my view. If we were having this conversation in 2010 I would totally agree with the economics, but the USMNT is way down the last few years.

Here is a good way to strengthen the sauce....build a formula that pays each team based on the revenue driven. Then you don’t need to constantly tweak. Win games, play well, and you drive more revenue that sets your pay for the next year.

I’m sure if that’s put in place based on the last year the women get a strong bump and the men come down.

It’s just the economics.....

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chuck Schumer has extended an invitation to the women's soccer team to visit Capitol Hill.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The economics line of thought is weak sauce in my view. If we were having this conversation in 2010 I would totally agree with the economics, but the USMNT is way down the last few years.

Here is a good way to strengthen the sauce....build a formula that pays each team based on the revenue driven. Then you don’t need to constantly tweak. Win games, play well, and you drive more revenue that sets your pay for the next year.

I’m sure if that’s put in place based on the last year the women get a strong bump and the men come down.

It’s just the economics.....

Let’s just put the “economics” argument to rest.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports...-in-its-discrimination-lawsuit-230443224.html

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that a second payer has come out and states she has no respect for the office of the Presidency of the country that pays her and allows her to play, I went from very high interest to none at all. And I'm not a republican, I am an American.

I've just had it with spoiled brat athletes who have no respect at all for anything but themselves.

Won't even check the scores.

didn't you just vote for someone that did that for the past 8 years??? take your hypocritical ass somewhere else.