• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Torres a Shark

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is part of the trade thread, but this topic needs it own space.

I can't wait for the first Brodie Brazil pregame interview:

"So Raffi, you're pretty much known as a douche-bag around the league. Will you be keeping up your little prick image or will you clean up your act?" :2cents:

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the last game of being eliminated from the playoffs, I wouldn't mind a Boyle slapshot catching him in the face.

Seriously though, I hope he can add a feisty spark to the Sharks. Him and Desi throwing their bodies around could lead to good things.

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the last game of being eliminated from the playoffs, I wouldn't mind a Boyle slapshot catching him in the face.

Seriously though, I hope he can add a feisty spark to the Sharks. Him and Desi throwing their bodies around could lead to good things.

Yes, the old Guerin-puck-to-the-face play. As for the Rat, he should be a good addition to the PK too. :suds:

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hoping to have a better opportunity to run his fucking ass over in the parking lot... its the only benefit I can stomach for this trade.

still hate this asshole.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Mercury News article:

The coach said Torres would need time to learn the Sharks' "systematic play, and if we can get that done and we can feel comfortable, then we'll make a change."

Earlier -- maybe jokingly, maybe not -- Torres indicated that learning a team's system is not one of his strong suits.

"I think if you could ask all my coaches, when you talk systems, I kind of do my own thing out there," Torres said. "Probably why it cost me a lot of minutes."

Oh boy... :L

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think there is anything to worry about, Rares. Tippet runs one of the most system oriented game plans in the league. If Torres didn't follow the system he would have been in the pressbox.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, good point.

I thought it was more of a joke too. Not really worried that he'll be a detriment or anything (as long as he doesn't do undisciplined stuff -- which he hasn't yet, this year).

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
he will be a great great addition. As good as this little run has been, its been fueled largely by the PP and the large number more of PP's than PK's for the sharks as well as some luck (jumbos goal vs. suter hitting the post ... that goes in and minny is up 3-2 and it's a very different game). In the last 6 games, the sharks have 18 PP's vs just 7 PK's. Thats a huuuge difference and they have given up no PP goals while scoring 5. That's the biggest difference, but it cant last forever.

Now, some of that is coming from outworking opponents. However, a lot of that is just lucky high sticks, D.O.G's, refs missing calls against them (and there were many in the minny game that the refs missed) and the like. They still lack some scoring punch and torres gives them an annual double digit goal scorer as well as his obvious nastiness. Im sure he'll fit in nicely in burish's spot on the line with Desi or on cooch's wing as protection in place of clowe. Either way, he gives the sharks more scoring and that's what they still need, particularly if injuries force burns to play D again.

Torres will be just fine. I'm thrilled to watch him play in teal and F up some other team (legally, of course).

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think he'll be put with Couture and Marleau as none of those three are any good on the right wing side. The Sheppard-Gomez-Desjardins 4th line worked really well when it was together and I think McLellan will go back to that then slot Torres in Sheps spot next to Pavs and Galiardi.

I'm a bit disappointed that you're not giving any credit to the scoring that's coming from the bottom six lately, Rules. The 3rd and 4th liners have produced goals in 10 of the last 11 games. That's gone a long way to the teams change in fortunes.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think he'll be put with Couture and Marleau as none of those three are any good on the right wing side. The Sheppard-Gomez-Desjardins 4th line worked really well when it was together and I think McLellan will go back to that then slot Torres in Sheps spot next to Pavs and Galiardi.

I'm a bit disappointed that you're not giving any credit to the scoring that's coming from the bottom six lately, Rules. The 3rd and 4th liners have produced goals in 10 of the last 11 games. That's gone a long way to the teams change in fortunes.

my apologies :-)... No doubt the scoring has been far better spread. Galiardi looks like the guy I thought they got for ginner (still rather have ginner, but thats water under the bridge). Also, gomez has skills, he just needed time to get used to SJ. However, I still dont have faith that wingels, desi, galiardi, gomez, burish, and sheppard will produce with the sort of regularity that is needed in the PO's. The biggest difference is burns' move up front as he has been a point per game player and the ridding of murray and putting in a more offensively strong dman in irwin with his minutes. The bottom 6 are still pretty weak, so torres adds some scoring that they will need to compete in the PO's if they get there.

Still, definitley great to see those guys start scoring. That said in the 6 game streak, gomez = 0 goals, wingels = 1, burish = 0, galiardi = 1, desi = 1, sheppard = 1. So, the bottom 6 has scored 4 goals in those si games which is waaaay better than before but hardly really lighting it up. Torres should provide another gun, and will be doubly important in case of an injury.