• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top Tight Ends - ESPN Insider

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ranking the NFL's most complete tight ends -- NFL
By Steve Palazzolio

Everyone loves a versatile threat on the football field, and no position exemplifies versatility quite like tight end. Traditionally the position was one part receiver, one part offensive lineman. Of course, as the NFL has moved to more of a pass-happy approach, the old-school, in-line blocking tight end has become something closer to a novelty, with many tight ends around the league acting essentially as oversized receivers.

Because of the evolution, the tight ends who can be a threat in the passing game while holding their own in the run game have become a rare breed. That leads us to Darren Woodson's recent comments about Cowboys TE Jason Witten, when he said "You cannot tell me there's a better tight end to ever play the game." High praise for Woodson's former teammate, but is it just hyperbole?

Given that Witten is still producing, let's take a deeper look at the most "complete" tight ends in the game today, as well as the best pure pass-catchers and blockers.

The most complete tight ends

1. Rob Gronkowski, New England Patriots

Woodson's claim is not far-fetched: Witten is one of the best, most complete tight ends in the league. The problem, however, is that a bigger, better version of Witten entered the league in 2010. Upon his arrival, Gronk immediately established himself as one of the most difficult covers in the league while dominating as an in-line and move blocker. So while it's no knock on Witten's game, Gronkowski just does everything a little bit better. As a receiver, he's posted the top grade in each of his past two healthy seasons (2014, 2011), and the Patriots' offense has taken a clear step back when he's been off the field with injuries.

There's one caveat to this and that's Gronkowski's apparent regression as a run-blocker. Since injuring his arm in 2012, he just hasn't been the same at the point of attack, often looking a little tentative in engaging defensive ends and linebackers. If this trend continues, it could diminish Gronkowski's "complete" label just a bit, but his contributions as a multifaceted receiver more than make up for a small decline as a blocker.

2. Jason Witten, Dallas Cowboys

Being outshined by Gronkowski is nothing to be ashamed of, and Woodson's claim isn't unthinkable. Witten is the second-most-complete tight end in the league. He also has longevity on his side as he enters his 13th season. Witten, however, has never been the top receiving threat at the position, often taking a back seat to players like Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates and now Gronkowski. His blocking has always been strong, but we once again run into the issue of value there, as the league turns more toward the pass.

Regardless, Witten has ranked as a top-three receiving tight end five times since 2007 while ranking as the top blocker in both 2009 and 2010. Even as he declines a tad late in his career, Witten remains one of the league's best all-around threats at the position.

3. Martellus Bennett, Chicago Bears

Often overlooked when ranking the best tight ends in the league, Bennett combines strong receiving skills with some of the best in-line blocking in the NFL. He heads into the 2015 season as the fourth-best receiving tight end while ranking 14th as a run-blocker, one of only a handful to show well in both categories. Last season, Bennett led all tight ends with 90 receptions to go with 916 yards and six touchdowns. Perhaps most impressive was his ability to make guys miss, forcing 25 missed tackles, also leading all tight ends. His 470 yards after the catch ranked second in the league, all while providing a stellar run-blocking presence for the Bears.

4. Travis Kelce, Kansas City Chiefs

It might be early to crown Kelce, but the results were impressive in what essentially amounted to his redshirt freshman season in 2014. He picked up 862 receiving yards, good for sixth in the league among tight ends, but it was his league-high 503 yards after the catch that turned heads. It was the third-highest total at the position since 2007, as Kelce proved to be Gronk-like in the open field.

As a blocker, Kelce drew easier assignments than his teammate, Anthony Fasano, but he showed well with a grade that ranks 13th heading into 2015. Another step forward could put Kelce even higher on this list in a year's time.

Best receivers

Rob Gronkowski:
Creates matchups all over the field, whether lined up in-line, in the slot or out wide. One-of-a-kind catch radius and after-the-catch ability.

Greg Olsen: An underrated player for years, Olsen was Cam Newton's favorite and most efficient target a year ago. Things work well when the Panthers are able to isolate him on safeties and linebackers.

Zach Ertz: Ready for a breakout in Chip Kelly's offense, Ertz has the size to be a dominant red zone presence while showing the ability to stretch the middle of the defense.

Julius Thomas: How much did Peyton Manning help Thomas' production? We'll get a good answer this season as Thomas catches passes from Blake Bortles. Regardless of who's throwing, it's hard to overlook his 24 touchdown passes over the past two seasons.

Best blockers

Lee Smith: Essentially an extra offensive lineman, the Oakland tight end was used as a blocker on 256 of his 342 snaps, and rightfully so.

Delanie Walker: Always a solid No. 2 tight end in San Francisco, Walker has taken to an expanded role in Tennessee, catching a few more passes and continuing to establish himself as one of the league's best blockers.

Vance McDonald: The man who replaced Walker for the 49ers has stepped in nicely, primarily as a blocker in two-tight-end sets. McDonald has only 11 catches in his first two years in the league, but his blocking has made him a valuable part of the 49ers' offense.

On the decline?

Jimmy Graham: It's hard to rank Graham among the best receiving tight ends in the game after his subpar 2014, but he's certainly shown more than capable over the years. He's only a year removed from a 1,215-yard, 16-touchdown season, so he's dropped off a tad but is still a big name who will help the passing game in Seattle and can bounce back given he's still just 28.

Antonio Gates: Time and injuries have started to catch up to Gates, entering his 13th NFL season.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, pretty sure I'd take Jimmy Graham over anyone in FF other than Gronk at the TE position. Witten #2 LOL c'mon... really? Witten is going 6+ round in the leagues I'm drafting. Now I know some dickhole will reply to this saying, "OMGOMG Witten is better than 6th round!" who is naturally a Cowboys fan, but give me a break.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pop2:This should get interesting Patriot haters and Seattle apologists in 5,4,3,2...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pop2:This should get interesting Patriot haters and Seattle apologists in 5,4,3,2...

Not sure even the worst of Patriot haters would have any ground to stand on as Gronk when healthy has shown to be the most dominant offensive weapon beyond the QB's in the entire league. Calvin Johnson and AP have an argument but Johnson can't seem to stay healthy and AP has joined the 30-year club for RB's and have to see how good he is after sitting out an entire season.

As for the Seattle fans I would say they definitely have something in this argument. Now we still need to see how Seattle will use Graham but good chance the guy is still one of if not the best receiving option TE in the NFL.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is another one of those subjective votes. What do you want your TE to do? What system does he play in? Sometimes it's the system not the player. So if we try and clump everything into one most people agree Gronk is number one. Graham as mentioned in multpile threads is a great pass catching TE. I think his numbers drop in the Sea offense this season. Sea will more than likely still be a run first offense. That takes away some catches. JG will be the # 1 receiving threat on Sea and thus will be covered by the #1 or in some cases the tallest DB. Graham has been shut down in games where teams are physical with him and make him the D's focus.

So now to the rest of the DBs I think are valuable or could be even better in different systems in no particular order;
Kelce from KC could be the real deal. Give him another year to really evaluate him. KC has a history of using their TEs so he's a good fit in that system,
Olsen from Car I like 80 + catches 1000+ yards can block, should get more credit.
Ertz from Philly I think is another young stud. This is a tough one whether the system helps or hurts him?
Jace Amaro for the Jets needs a QB but I think has unlimited potential.
Whitten all around solid TE #2 probably a little high maybe a few years ago I would agree. Still an asset on any team.

My sleeper is Scott Chandler. Has been up and down over the years. Hasn't had a QB or system that favors his style of game. A combo of him and Gronk with an angry Brady who has shown he loves to throw to his TEs may have a great season. Just not sure there are enough balls to go around in NE to move him up too high as far as stats go.

Last edited:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, pretty sure I'd take Jimmy Graham over anyone in FF other than Gronk at the TE position. Witten #2 LOL c'mon... really? Witten is going 6+ round in the leagues I'm drafting. Now I know some dickhole will reply to this saying, "OMGOMG Witten is better than 6th round!" who is naturally a Cowboys fan, but give me a break.
Fantasy football? Your post is 100% correct.
Was the article based on fantasy football TE's?

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would NEVER disrespect someone who is going to be a Hall Of Famer but Witten is not the 2nd best TE in football. He's a 40 yard a game player these day. Zach Ertz had IDENTICAL numbers to Witten in almost 500 less snaps.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Vernon Davis on the decline list eh.

Good call on Bennett as well.

Agree that Greg Olson should've gotten more love, or just some love, but I always thought he was gonna ball significantly more than he has throughout his career.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In FF you are right. You don't get FF points for blocking or being a leader. You don't get FF points for being a good guy and a coach on the field. If talking just FF value, Witten falls a few spots.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to think I got attacked by proud Seahawks fans for saying Jason Witten is superior to Jimmy Graham. :L

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would NEVER disrespect someone who is going to be a Hall Of Famer but Witten is not the 2nd best TE in football. He's a 40 yard a game player these day. Zach Ertz had IDENTICAL numbers to Witten in almost 500 less snaps.

Thanks but the experts disagree.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Silly.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fantasy football? Your post is 100% correct.
Was the article based on fantasy football TE's?

Well true... but just saying. Jimmy Graham should be on the list at a higher position. Even if the guy wasn't playing for Seattle he should be on there. FF end of day is a decent dictator as to how well we expect NFL players to perform and Witten if anything is on the decline. Witten is an amazing TE and I'd still love to have him on my team, but he's getting older and it was obvious last year his play has slightly declined.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How so? Elaborate Hammer.

You're comparing what happened in your fantasy league to real life. In real life, the only TE better than Jason fucking Witten is Gronk.

It's been that way for years, man.

I'll have to disregard your league and go with the experts. I have no real interest but I know Jason Witten is considerably better than Jimmy Graham. You're a Seahawks fan and disagree. I understand that.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're comparing what happened in your fantasy league to real life. In real life, the only TE better than Jason fucking Witten is Gronk.

It's been that way for years, man.

I'll have to disregard your league and go with the experts. I have no real interest but I know Jason Witten is considerably better than Jimmy Graham. You're a Seahawks fan and disagree. I understand that.

Hm, has nothing to do with being a Hawks fan, I just thought he was better and Witten considering age was on the decline. I guess it makes sense though, Witten is far and away a better blocker which is a big part of being a tight end which Graham says he's working on but I still have my doubts..

Hm........... I just don't get Graham being on the 'decline' list. He's still a very potent receiver weapon. He's one of if not the most dangerous red zone threats in the NFL (WITH the Saints mind you) so not seeing him on the receiver list is puzzling. I brought up FF because it still dictates the offensive potential of a player. It was kind of a crap argument to use, but the article seemed so outrageous I thought it complimented nicely lol.

I'm fortunate enough these days to say that I have enough Seattle players to gush about so I'm not defending Graham just because he's a Seahawk...

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hm, has nothing to do with being a Hawks fan, I just thought he was better and Witten considering age was on the decline. I guess it makes sense though, Witten is far and away a better blocker which is a big part of being a tight end which Graham says he's working on but I still have my doubts..

Hm........... I just don't get Graham being on the 'decline' list. He's still a very potent receiver weapon. He's one of if not the most dangerous red zone threats in the NFL (WITH the Saints mind you) so not seeing him on the receiver list is puzzling. I brought up FF because it still dictates the offensive potential of a player. It was kind of a crap argument to use, but the article seemed so outrageous I thought it complimented nicely lol.

I'm fortunate enough these days to say that I have enough Seattle players to gush about so I'm not defending Graham just because he's a Seahawk...

I want to see how he plays without a gunslinger QB. His opportunities are going to be limited. Either way, it's going to be very interesting!

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see how he plays without a gunslinger QB. His opportunities are going to be limited. Either way, it's going to be very interesting!

For sure. I think "what will Jimmy Graham do" is one of the bigger questions of the offseason. Seattle doesn't like to throw as much as many other teams.

That said, I still can't fault Graham for that. My bigger concern is Graham gets pissed because Seattle isn't throwing enough and asking him to block more and more and throws a tantrum which I believe is a real possibility. Graham is a bit of a prima donna... Witten isn't... which goes to your point. I dunno man :noidea: