• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top pitching prospect?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am just wondering who everyone thinks is our top pitching prospect. I have my personal views, but won't share them at this time because I want to see what everyone else has to say and hear their arguements before I make mine. Kind of a cheesy way to go about it, but in my mind it is better this way.:fencing:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem at all.

I still think it is Taillon only because he has pitched in professional baseball. When Cole pitches he could make it a 1a/1b scenario.

Others near the top

Allie - he didn't pitch well but as soon as the control comes he will be good, a ton of K's
Locke - because he probably is the most ready to make it to the majors.

Still not sold on Heredia since he is only 17.

Outside of that all the rest are not a "top" prospect.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Take

I give Taillon a slight edge on Cole, primarily based upon how advanced he is for his age. On the other hand, their 2012 performances could easily flip the two in my ranking.

I agree with thedddd that Heredia is too young and too raw to rank with Cole and Taillon.

Since I put performance at the top of my criteria when ranking prospects, Allie's poor performance downgraded his status in my view. I don't see him in the same class with Taillon and Cole at this point.

An observation: So far, under NH, it seems that new draftees move to the top of prospect lists, while many guys from previous drafts sink in the lists when their subsequent performance does NOT match expectations. For example, ZVR was highly ranked by most raters before the 2011 season, but his poor performance caused him to fall significantly on most of this off-season's prospect lists.

Another example..... Taillon was #1 on just about everyone's list last year. Now, Cole has supplanted Taillon on many lists as we speak. As the new guy, Cole has more sparkle than Taillon. Don't get me wrong here..... Cole COULD prove to be a better prospect than Taillon. Clearly, several years playing college ball has given him additional development time. But I would prefer to see him pitch in a professional league before ranking him ahead of Taillon.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An observation: So far, under NH, it seems that new draftees move to the top of prospect lists, while many guys from previous drafts sink in the lists when their subsequent performance does NOT match expectations. For example, ZVR was highly ranked by most raters before the 2011 season, but his poor performance caused him to fall significantly on most of this off-season's prospect lists.

That is a baseball wide deal, 15-20 new guys end up in all the top 100 lists every year. Its all about being the new guy/ ceiling and upside, then they put up stats... and if they arent great.. they fall down the rankings.

I'll go with Cole just to be different.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cole has superior stuff right now. He's the top prospect. Taillon could overtake him if his development goes well and he might very well turn out to be a better pitcher too, but cole is the guy with the better tools.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No matter how good someone is supposed to be... It is very hard to rank a pitcher that has not done anything for you yet... I want to see Cole pitch for the bucs somewhere in the minors for a full season before I can say what he is or what he is not.

All the talent in the world... and upside galore... but lots of young kids have talent...Results matter too... Maturity.. mechanics...Learning from mistakes...

IMHO we have to see him to know what we have with him.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taillon for me, but I like both a lot.

I'd give the edge to Taillon because he showed he can get professional hitters out. Cole, eventhough his pure stuff is better, was hittable at UCLA. Although Taillon was "hittable" in his last year in high school, so I don't doubt Cole can make the same transition. If Cole dominates A+ and/or AA, which I suspect he will, I'd jump him over Taillon.

Either way, it is nice to see the Pirates having the top tandem of pitchers in the minors currently.