• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 20 Flyers Players In Last 20 Seasons

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From 1993-94 to 2013-14, any player who's played for the Flyers at that point is eligible

I figured I'd do this since it could spark some convo

It's not a poll, just list your top 20 players

Mine are:
1) Eric Lindros
2) Simon Gagne
3) John Leclair
4) Keith Primeau
5) Ron Hextall
6) Mark Recchi
7) Claude Giroux
8) Eric Desjardins
9) Rod Brind'Amour
10) Kimmo Timonen
11) Mike Richards
12) Jeff Carter
13) Chris Pronger
14) Sami Kapanen
15) Danny Briere
16) Jeremy Roenick
17) Scott Hartnell
18) John Vanbiesbrouck
19) Wayne Simmonds
20) Jakub Voracek

I took into account how long these players were on the team during that time frame, so the reason Chris Pronger isn't higher is because he wasn't there as long, same as guys like Mike Richards/Jeff Carter/Danny Briere/JR etc

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would mdefinitely have Roman Chekmanek on the list.
2000-01 35-15-6 2.01 gaa
2001-02 24-13-6 2.05 gaa
2002-03 33-15-10 1.83 gaa

With their history of goaltending woes,he held them in a shitload of games IMO.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great list. The only definite change I would make is replacing Kapanen with Forsberg. I'm also on the fence with replacing Vanbiesbrouck (by the time we got him) with Renberg.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great list. The only definite change I would make is replacing Kapanen with Forsberg. I'm also on the fence with replacing Vanbiesbrouck (by the time we got him) with Renberg.

I think the reason I didn't put Foppa on the list was that he was only there for 1 1/2 seasons - Sami Kapanen had some longevity there and was very solid

I probably could have put Czech on there instead of John Vanbiesbrouck but I think Czech became really kooky after awhile - but he was pretty good regardless

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the reason I didn't put Foppa on the list was that he was only there for 1 1/2 seasons - Sami Kapanen had some longevity there and was very solid

I probably could have put Czech on there instead of John Vanbiesbrouck but I think Czech became really kooky after awhile - but he was pretty good regardless

You could make the longevity argument for a few players (Beezer, Pronger), but I hear you. I think Kapanen was always a bit overrated by Flyers fans because he rarely made any glaring mistakes. He just rarely made any great plays, either. He was just consistently average or slightly above average during his time here, and never played as well as he had in Carolina.

I'm not sure how I feel about Cechmanek. He was great at times, and perhaps got an unfair share of the blame for the Flyers' playoff failures during his time here when really he was only bad the one year in the playoffs. But, like you said, there was always something off about the guy, and the team never really rallied around him.

Last edited by a moderator:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice thread! And nice list as well, I think I only switched 1 or 2 names, the rest was just changing where in the 20 they fell.

1) Eric Lindros
2) Simon Gagne
3) John Leclair
4) Keith Primeau
5) Ron Hextall
6) Eric Desjardins
7) Rod Brind'Amour
8) Kimmo Timonen
9) Scott Hartnell
10) Claude Giroux
11) Danny Briere
12) Mark Recchi
13) Jeff Carter
14) Mike Richards
15) Chris Pronger
16) Sami Kapanen
17) Jeremy Roenick
18) Roman Checmanek
19) Jakub Voracek
20) Chris Therien

Big Movers:
Timonen +2: He's been the flyers best dman since he got here, and has consistently been a 40 point guy while being the best defender. He's been huge for the team the past 8 years or so.

Hartnell +8: Staple on the Flyers best offensive line for most of the 7 years he was in black and orange. Lupul/Carter, Leino/Carter, Giroux/Jagr, Giroux/Voracek. One of very few guys to have played on that many 'top scoring' lines for this team.

Briere +4: Along with Timonen and Hartnell, they helped turn the team around after the season that shall not be named. He essentially carried the Flyers through their deep playoff runs. One of the best playoff performers in league history. Guy defines clutch.

Recchi -6: Probably harsh, but I was a little kid during his more dominant flyers stop so I just don't remember him being a supreme offensive force. Loved him during his last stop as a Flyer though.

I had Coburn on there because he's 8th on the GP list among players that played during this time. He may not be a world beater, but he's certainly had a big impact on the Flyers blue line over that time period. Then I saw that Therien is 4th on the flyers all-time games played list. Any player, any era. He has to be on the list. Just to put it in perspective, Pronger and Forsberg, some of the names mentioned, played 600+ games fewer for the flyers than Therien did.

Edit: I also realize now that I kind of went off 'most impactful' rather than best, so that changes my list a bit. I'm also a relative young'n so I'm a bit skewed towards the more recent guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could make the longevity argument for a few players (Beezer, Pronger), but I hear you. I think Kapanen was always a bit overrated by Flyers fans because he rarely made any glaring mistakes. He just rarely made any great plays, either. He was just consistently average or slightly above average during his time here, and never played as well as he had in Carolina.

I'm not sure how I feel about Cechmanek. He was great at times, and perhaps got an unfair share of the blame for the Flyers' playoff failures during his time here when really he was only bad the one year in the playoffs. But, like you said, there was always something off about the guy, and the team never really rallied around him.

I think everyone remembers Sami for the hit he took against the Leafs more than anything and how courageous he was for that, those types of things go a long way towards the fanbase

Czech was kind of like Bryz - had some great stretches of play but other times he was lost and the team never really rallied around him

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice thread! And nice list as well, I think I only switched 1 or 2 names, the rest was just changing where in the 20 they fell.

1) Eric Lindros
2) Simon Gagne
3) John Leclair
4) Keith Primeau
5) Ron Hextall
6) Eric Desjardins
7) Rod Brind'Amour
8) Kimmo Timonen
9) Scott Hartnell
10) Claude Giroux
11) Danny Briere
12) Mark Recchi
13) Jeff Carter
14) Mike Richards
15) Chris Pronger
16) Sami Kapanen
17) Jeremy Roenick
18) Roman Checmanek
19) Jakub Voracek
20) Chris Therien

Big Movers:
Timonen +2: He's been the flyers best dman since he got here, and has consistently been a 40 point guy while being the best defender. He's been huge for the team the past 8 years or so.

Hartnell +8: Staple on the Flyers best offensive line for most of the 7 years he was in black and orange. Lupul/Carter, Leino/Carter, Giroux/Jagr, Giroux/Voracek. One of very few guys to have played on that many 'top scoring' lines for this team.

Briere +4: Along with Timonen and Hartnell, they helped turn the team around after the season that shall not be named. He essentially carried the Flyers through their deep playoff runs. One of the best playoff performers in league history. Guy defines clutch.

Recchi -6: Probably harsh, but I was a little kid during his more dominant flyers stop so I just don't remember him being a supreme offensive force. Loved him during his last stop as a Flyer though.

I had Coburn on there because he's 8th on the GP list among players that played during this time. He may not be a world beater, but he's certainly had a big impact on the Flyers blue line over that time period. Then I saw that Therien is 4th on the flyers all-time games played list. Any player, any era. He has to be on the list. Just to put it in perspective, Pronger and Forsberg, some of the names mentioned, played 600+ games fewer for the flyers than Therien did.

Edit: I also realize now that I kind of went off 'most impactful' rather than best, so that changes my list a bit. I'm also a relative young'n so I'm a bit skewed towards the more recent guys.

I'm younger too(20 to be exact) so I didn't really see much of that era other than videos and things like that, but I tried not to skew it towards the more recent guys

That being said, I really did think about Chris Therien, played with the Flyers for so long and considering my basis for the guys on the list(longevity), I probably should have put him on there but I don't think many others would have though

If Braydon Coburn sticks around for another 2-3 years at least, he might start to get into that top 20 - he's the longest tenured player on this team

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Mike Knuble belongs on that list :scratch:

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Longevity a side umberger always gave us fits and Lappy gained a lot of respect from me as a flyer. Playing with his face broken is as dedicated as you can get for a team. I would put gagne above lindtos but he used to kill us

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In another year or two Couturier should lock up one of those last couple of spots.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm younger too(20 to be exact) so I didn't really see much of that era other than videos and things like that, but I tried not to skew it towards the more recent guys

That being said, I really did think about Chris Therien, played with the Flyers for so long and considering my basis for the guys on the list(longevity), I probably should have put him on there but I don't think many others would have though

If Braydon Coburn sticks around for another 2-3 years at least, he might start to get into that top 20 - he's the longest tenured player on this team

Ya, I never remember Therien as being a huge asset in any ways other than size, but it's tough to argue with that type of longevity. Good or bad, he has had a big impact on the franchise.

I wonder if Mike Knuble belongs on that list :scratch:

Definitely worth discussing, I forgot about him. He played a big role for a few seasons for sure.

Longevity a side umberger always gave us fits and Lappy gained a lot of respect from me as a flyer. Playing with his face broken is as dedicated as you can get for a team. I would put gagne above lindtos but he used to kill us

Lappy is the man. Most courageous hockey player I've ever seen I think. And most courageous hockey player is pretty damn courageous.

Umberger, if only for his propensity to slay the penguins (don't remember against the devils as much), is worth discussing haha. Always loved his game against the pens.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, I never remember Therien as being a huge asset in any ways other than size, but it's tough to argue with that type of longevity. Good or bad, he has had a big impact on the franchise.

Definitely worth discussing, I forgot about him. He played a big role for a few seasons for sure.

Lappy is the man. Most courageous hockey player I've ever seen I think. And most courageous hockey player is pretty damn courageous.

Umberger, if only for his propensity to slay the penguins (don't remember against the devils as much), is worth discussing haha. Always loved his game against the pens.

It's hard for me to look past Lappy. He clicked with your system on a different level he was a flyer. The broken face sealed him in the flyers top 20 for me

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just happy that scrub JVR is not on anyone's list. :suds::pound::lol:

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Lindros, Leclair, Giroux, Timonen, Desjardins ... hard to say....I think Voracek could make the list with another year or two...same with Simmonds. Hartnell can go either way depending on your priorities. Same with Danny Briere.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Lindros
2) LeClair
3) Recchi
4) Gagne
5) Desjardins
6) Giroux
7) Primeau
8) Brind'Amour
9) Briere
10) Timonen
11) Richards
12) Forsberg
13) Hartnell
14) Carter
15) Pronger
16) Roenick
17) Kapanen
18) Johnsson
19) Esche
20) Coburn

So much is interchangeable. I am sure I forget somebody. And yes, I am an Esche fan :)

dilbert719

Visitor From Planet KFFL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Eric Lindros
2) Simon Gagne
3) John Leclair
4) Mark Recchi
5) Eric Desjardins - I was always a Desjardins guy. One of my favorite players, especially given how poor our defense always was.
6) Rod Brind'Amour - And here's another one of my favorite players all-time. Even when we had Lindros centering our first line, I was more impressed with Brindy, because Lindros owned the game the minute he stepped on the ice. Brindy? He had to fight for everything he got, and damn if he didn't get a lot.
7) Claude Giroux - In 10 years, ask this question about the top Flyers from the past 30 years, and Claude will be #1. He just needs to complete his career to get there.
8) Keith Primeau - This one KILLS me to say, but Primeau just falls to the numbers game for me.
9) Kimmo Timonen
10) Mike Richards
11) Chris Pronger - Pronger's peak were the best years a defenseman's had in O&B since I started watching hockey in the late 80s. It was just too damn short.
12) Danny Briere
13) Jeff Carter
14) Ron Hextall - I have to keep in mind that only his last 5 seasons in a Flyer uniform belong on this list. They were good years, and a list without Hexy is wrong, but I don't know that by itself it belongs over some of the tenures of these other guys. On the other hand, if we're counting their entire time in O&B, Rick Tocchet is missing from every list.
15) Sami Kapanen
16) Jeremy Roenick
17) Scott Hartnell
18) Braydon Coburn
19) Chris Therien
20) Mikael Renberg

I very much wanted to find room for Mike Knuble and Michal Handzus, but I can't bump any of these guys for them.