• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 15 NCAA Free Agents

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
FriedgeHNIC 9:05am via Web SJ closed the Hayes signing today, hearing Sharks also chasing G Troy Grosenick from Union.

WharnsbyCBC 9:12am via Web Look for #SJSharks to sign Union G Troy Grosenick.

I'm a bit surprised about Grosenick. He wasn't expected to leave college until after his junior year. Next year he was projected to rank in the top five of college UFA's.

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry RaiderZar I completely missed this. To make a long explination short once a player has been draft eligible for two years and goes undrafted those two years they become a UFA. A players first year of draft eligibility is the year he turns 18 as long as their birthday is on or before September 15.

Thanks sir. So. we're talking 'cream of the crop' here. Unless, of course, something clicked in late or they are late bloomers.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thanks sir. So. we're talking 'cream of the crop' here. Unless, of course, something clicked in late or they are late bloomers.

In these situations a lot of times we're talking about the players first year of eligibility being their senior year in high school. If they don't participate in the USNDP, play in the USHL, or play for a highly successful prep school program they don't garner much attention. Their second year of draft eligibility is their freshman year of college where they often take a back seat to upper classmen when it comes to ice time. There's a lot of good talent that goes undrafted in the NCAA, some are late bloomers, some just weren't given the oppertunity.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sharks have also signed Rylan Schwartz, older brother of Jaden Schwartz (STL), NCAA scoring leader this year and the 2nd ranked NCAA forward available.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with all these UFA signing from college and the amount of draft picks we have in this years draft, are the sharks loading up on young talent that could be NHL material or just stocking up for Worster?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So with all these UFA signing from college and the amount of draft picks we have in this years draft, are the sharks loading up on young talent that could be NHL material or just stocking up for Worster?

A little bit of both. Of the signings so far Schwartz is the only one that I see as having quality NHL potential.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Grosenick officially signed. Currently listed on the NHL roster.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
More on Grosenick:

He signed a one year entry level contract. Due to his age one year was the max length of his ELC. However what's most interesting is the Sharks are choosing to burn off that ELC by having him on the NHL roster for the remainder of this season.

By doing this the Sharks have guaranteed him a spot in either the NHL or AHL next season as he can no longer be assigned to the ECHL without his consent. This is a very curious move and almost assuredly means that one of Greiss or Stalock are gone next year as well as Heemskirk.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense... didn't we all expect Greiss to be gone next year anyway?

Or at least I know I did... /shrug