• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 prospects per position

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2012 Prospect Watch | MLB.com: Prospects

Not surprised Marte, Cole and Taillon made the lists per position.

The one I am kind of surprise is Dickerson as a top 10, First Baseman.

Last year it was only Sanchez and Taillon on the list.
Finally looking at the 3B list I still think back on the whole Sano situation and wonder what if?

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Im going to be super optimistic today. With marte and grossman on the way and tabata, presley, mcc already in pittsburgh we might just have the beginnings of a sustained string of solid outfielders. The best of the bunch is bell and he should be ready before mcc moves on if all goes according to plan.

Then what if cole and taillon and heredia all meet their ceiling? In optimism land we might have the makings of an overpowering young rotation.

But in all seriousness i am anxious to see more of dickerson. Maybe we can call him adick. Lol.like arod and krod? Adick. Get it? Whatever.
I think its great that theres a guy who might not be a total black hole offensively. Unlike clement and overbay and all the other crap weve had to suffer through.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
adick, I like it, no homo.

That top 10 first basemen list is kind of sad to be honest, and considering almost anyone can play first base, most prospects are held to more difficult positions until they proved they can't play them anymore, thus devaluing the list.

Still think Tony Sanchez should be on that C top 10, Montero and Lavarnaway aren't gonna be catchers in the long run, and the back end of the list is unimpressive.

Gorkys has shown signs of actually being useful again, although he is way down the list.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great point about the first basemen. Most good ones move there rather than start there.

adick....funny but good.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not sure if I agree with the whole most move there idea. At least at the major league level. If that were the case why would the Pirates, who have better prospects at third in the higher levels, not move Pedro to first already? He is a butcher at third and doesn't seem to care to get better.

Regardless, Dickerson is athletic enough to play RF, but due to injury concerns the Pirates drafted him as a first baseman and will play him there. Honestly, with such a small sample size to go off of, he could climb as high as second or third on the list with a good 2 level showing this year and could drop completely off with an average to bad showing.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anecdotally (word?), Cabrera and Pujols came up as non-firstbase prospects. And many guys move there when they can't play other positions, but can still hit; Victor Martinez and Carlos Lee. And there are tons of guys who are combo RF/LF/1B.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those too time-crunched to look up the details, this particular iteration of prospect lists has Jonathan Mayo, MLB.com's prospect expert, listing his top 10 prospects in MLB for 8 positions: RHP, LHP, SS, 3B, C, 1B, 2B, OF.

- Jameson Taillon is #3 and Gerritt Cole #6 on the RHP list.
- Dickerson is #9 on the 1B list.
- Marte is #7 on the OF list.

Other notes and comments:

- The only Pirate to make these lists last year was Taillon, at #6 on the RHP list.

- Tony Sanchez was not on the list in 2011. In 2011, the Yankees had 3 catchers on the top 10 list: Jesus Montero at #1, Gary Sanchez at #3, and Austin Romine at #8.

- Yep, Miguel Sano is #2 on the 3B list this year, after being #5 on last year's list.

- In terms of pure numbers, the Pirates increase from 1 player (out of 80) on these lists in 2011 to 4 players (out of 80) in 2012 represents a clear improvement in the farm system. Further, the numbers represent above average representation in 2012..... but NOT what I would call a top farm system.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I read the lists, but haven't looked at them since, the one thing I remember is him saying a lot of "he showed at the AA level", type of comments. IMO that would tend to show that we might have a few more players that could make the list in the coming years with good showings as they move us through the minors.

IMO it also shows that Dickerson, Cole, and Taillon are all very highly thought of by Mayo if they were included with little to no experience past A- ball. Don't get me wrong, with bad showings at any level, I think Dickerson and Cole could drop off the list completely. However, if Marte can repeat his performance at AAA and Grossman can repeat in his jump to AA, both could be top 5 OF prospects next year, barring a promotion for Marte. Bell is another that has a chance to be added if he shows well, but one report I read stated that he is more power and less actual baseball talent that the evaluator needs to see play before ranking him near the top of anything.

All that and there are still names that could be mentioned, but in the essence of time, I will stop.

On a side note, is it bad that I can name more prospects below the AA level than I can on the 25 man roster?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those too time-crunched to look up the details, this particular iteration of prospect lists has Jonathan Mayo, MLB.com's prospect expert, listing his top 10 prospects in MLB for 8 positions: RHP, LHP, SS, 3B, C, 1B, 2B, OF.

- Jameson Taillon is #3 and Gerritt Cole #6 on the RHP list.
- Dickerson is #9 on the 1B list.
- Marte is #7 on the OF list.

Other notes and comments:

- The only Pirate to make these lists last year was Taillon, at #6 on the RHP list.

- Tony Sanchez was not on the list in 2011. In 2011, the Yankees had 3 catchers on the top 10 list: Jesus Montero at #1, Gary Sanchez at #3, and Austin Romine at #8.

- Yep, Miguel Sano is #2 on the 3B list this year, after being #5 on last year's list.

- In terms of pure numbers, the Pirates increase from 1 player (out of 80) on these lists in 2011 to 4 players (out of 80) in 2012 represents a clear improvement in the farm system. Further, the numbers represent above average representation in 2012..... but NOT what I would call a top farm system.

Yes he was....#9 Catcher

2011 Prospect Watch | MLB.com: Prospects

The link will bring up the 2011 list. Click on top 10 by position and select catcher he was #9.

Here is the comments about him:

"...While some thought he was a stretch at No. 4 overall in 2009, he came out in 2010 like that's exactly where he belonged, hitting .314/.416/.454 over 59 games before a broken jaw ended his season. The 23-year-old did make it back for the Arizona Fall League and was good to go for 2011. He should continue to hit for average and get on base, and he gets good marks for his defensive work across the board. He made the move up to Double-A last season, where he didn't quite have the production he did in 2010. "

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he was....#9 Catcher

2011 Prospect Watch | MLB.com: Prospects

The link will bring up the 2011 list. Click on top 10 by position and select catcher he was #9.

Here is the comments about him:

"...While some thought he was a stretch at No. 4 overall in 2009, he came out in 2010 like that's exactly where he belonged, hitting .314/.416/.454 over 59 games before a broken jaw ended his season. The 23-year-old did make it back for the Arizona Fall League and was good to go for 2011. He should continue to hit for average and get on base, and he gets good marks for his defensive work across the board. He made the move up to Double-A last season, where he didn't quite have the production he did in 2010. "

OK, thedddd..... I see Tony Sanchez listed at the link you posted.

However, the link I was looking at is here:

Prospect Watch: Top 10 catchers | MLB.com: News

At that link, it shows the top 10 catchers for 2012 and 2011 side-by-side. Tony Sanchez doesn't show up on that 2011 list, and there are a number of other differences. Perhaps the two different 2011 lists were created at different times. I speculate that the 2011 top 10 catchers at the link I posted was created later, and Tony fell off the list due to his sub-par performance.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
OK, thedddd..... I see Tony Sanchez listed at the link you posted.

However, the link I was looking at is here:

Prospect Watch: Top 10 catchers | MLB.com: News

At that link, it shows the top 10 catchers for 2012 and 2011 side-by-side. Tony Sanchez doesn't show up on that 2011 list, and there are a number of other differences. Perhaps the two different 2011 lists were created at different times. I speculate that the 2011 top 10 catchers at the link I posted was created later, and Tony fell off the list due to his sub-par performance.

It is very likely that Sanchez was on the preseason list and excluded from the midseason list.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense that he would have dropped off. Also making sure I wasn't crazy because I knew I saw him on the list somewhere.