• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 offensive matchup nightmares - ESPN Insider

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL coaches don't sleep much during the season.

Between film study, game plans, practice and everything else that goes into preparation for Sundays, shut-eye is hard to come by.

It's especially difficult when preparing for certain star players; the kind of rare physical specimens who can leave a coach scrambling for answers before, during and even after the game. With that in mind, let's begin part one of a two-part feature examining the 10 most nightmarish matchups on either side of the ball in the NFL, based largely off of suggestions from NFL sources around the league.

To be clear, these players are nightmarish because of uncommon physical traits. While there is no quarterback better than Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, defenses that can apply pressure and impact the integrity of the pocket have a chance to slow them down because of their limited mobility. Just one quarterback cracked our list, and he just so happens to have the movement skills of a running back and that applies a different type of stress on a defense that Brady and Manning aren't capable of.

Here are the top 10 offensive nightmare matchups in the NFL:

1. Calvin Johnson, WR, Detroit Lions

The most physically dominant offensive player regardless of position, Johnson is an impossible cover and was the most popular response among coaches and scouts consulted. He's built like a tight end at 6-foot-5 and nearly 240 pounds but maintains the track speed he came into the league with. He can stretch the field vertically, win with his route-running skills on the intermediate level and terrorize defenses as a run-after-catch threat on wide receiver screens.

Even as the Lions have gone through a roulette of complementary receivers to try and take pressure off of Johnson, Megatron has breezed past, through and around opposing defenses. He's a one-man wrecking crew; there's simply no slowing down the game's best receiver.

2. Jimmy Graham, TE, New Orleans Saints

Graham's quest to be redefined as a wide receiver this offseason illustrates the difficulty of covering him. He's far too athletic for linebackers to run with, too big for a safety to contain physically or at the catch point, and while then-Patriots cornerback Aqib Talib had success in shutting down Graham for a half last season, that's way too small of a sample size to suggest some sort of kryptonite exists. Graham is at his best in the slot and the red zone, where quarterback Drew Brees can use Graham's natural leverage to target the athletic pass-catcher in isolated man-to-man situations.

3. Adrian Peterson, RB, Minnesota Vikings

In a league in which running backs are seemingly becoming devalued, Peterson remains a cut above the rest. Consider this: if there were ever a time for a defense to expect Peterson to get the football, it would be on the Vikings' first play of the season. And yet, even when likely expecting it, the Lions had no answer for Peterson on the first play of the 2013 season when he scampered 78 yards for a touchdown. That's the AP threat in a nutshell. Peterson has rare leg drive to power through tacklers, speed to hit a home run if he gets to the second level and is a more capable pass-catcher than his seasonal averages suggest (29.4 catches a year).

4. Percy Harvin, WR, Seattle Seahawks

Straight from an NFC personnel man: "He's a hard assignment because he is both quick and fast. He has the speed to stretch field outside and good change of direction for inside routes. [He's] also great with ball in hands on jet sweeps. What makes him even more difficult is how strong and tough he is."

Harvin is compact at just 184 pounds and health has plagued him of late -- he has still played in just two games for Seattle, one of them the Super Bowl -- but we all saw just how dangerous he can be in that second game, when he returned a kickoff for a touchdown to all but end the night for the Denver Broncos.

5. Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery, WR, Chicago Bears

To be fair, this duo could be separated and each would still have a chance to make the list. But in tandem, the twin towers (each at least 6-3, 215) are as good as any other receiving duo in the NFL. They both can win with size, but each is also so physically tough and strong that he can overwhelm defenders even in tight spaces. Jeffery's uncommon field awareness and body control resulted in no shortage of highlight-reel catches in 2013, while Marshall has been among the steadiest targets in the NFL over the past seven seasons, with over 1,000 yards in each. Marshall is also extremely versatile, and can line up all over.

6. Cam Newton, QB, Carolina Panthers

In a league in which dual-threat quarterbacks are more popular than ever, none scares defensive coaches quite like Newton. He's a threat to throw from the pocket, can zip it on the run, plus he's as good as there is among quarterbacks in the open field. Moreover, he's the best short yardage back -- or at least close to it -- in the game. The ever-present dilemma teams face against Carolina's offense: Do you pressure Newton to prevent him from picking you apart from the pocket, or use underneath coverage players as spies to prevent him from scrambling for big yardage? What he was able to accomplish with a substandard receiving corps in 2013 was exceptional, and at 250 pounds, he's as big as most linebackers he faces.

7. C.J. Spiller, RB, Buffalo Bills

An intriguing pick after last year's down season, what it comes down to for Spiller is speed and catching ability. The Bills probably didn't do a good enough job of manufacturing touches for Spiller on the perimeter last year, but that's where he's at his best. He's an outstanding pass-catcher and route-runner -- he was a temporary wide receiver for Buffalo in 2011 -- making him difficult to account for with a linebacker. We suspect the ankle issue that Spiller dealt with near the outset of 2013 bothered him more than both the team and he let on down the stretch and would expect a bounce-back season in 2014.

8. Rob Gronkowski, TE, New England Patriots

The same logic we apply to Graham works for Gronk: too big for defensive backs, too fast for linebackers. But here's where defenses really sweat over Gronkowski: if they stay in their base defensive formation, that gives the Patriots' passing attack the advantage against inferior pass defense (only four defensive backs on the field). If a team goes small with a nickel package, the Patriots can overwhelm in the running game, as Gronkowski -- when healthy -- is among the preeminent run-blocking tight ends in the game. His physical ability isn't just an advantage in the passing game. He's a complete tight end.

9. Tyron Smith, LT, Dallas Cowboys

It takes a certain type of offensive lineman to even be considered for this list, but Smith is rare. As one NFC defensive coach said, "He's a freak athlete, and strong. He has great recovery and a great punch." Smith stands 6-5 and 318 pounds, and has the athleticism to neutralize speed/quickness rushers and the strength to hold up against power rushers. What's perhaps scariest about Smith? He's just 23 and will start his fourth NFL season in 2014.

10. Charles Clay, TE, Miami Dolphins

The most surprising response I heard from NFL contacts was Clay. He's not nearly the physically dominant player that others on this list are, but he's wildly versatile. He's nearly 260 pounds, plays from the backfield as a short-yardage ball carrier and lead blocker, can play on the end of the line as a tight end, can flex out into the slot and has terrific catching skills. Any player who can align from so many spots leaves a defensive coordinator wondering how best to slow him down.

Others of note: Colts QB Andrew Luck, Eagles RB Darren Sproles, Buccaneers WR Vincent Jackson, Chiefs RB Jamaal Charles

Top 10 offensive matchup nightmares leads with Calvin Johnson - NFL - ESPN

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised that Peyton Manning did not make the list. I would think he would be on here. You can't really blitz him because he will just lob it over their heads, but you can't not blitz him because he will just use all the time in the world. He's also one of the smartest QBs of all time. I would imagine he is a very scary QB to plan for.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised that Peyton Manning did not make the list. I would think he would be on here. You can't really blitz him because he will just lob it over their heads, but you can't not blitz him because he will just use all the time in the world. He's also one of the smartest QBs of all time. I would imagine he is a very scary QB to plan for.

Peyton's easy to gameplan against...you just tell him its a playoff game.

Oh snap!!:happy:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised Tyron Smith is the pick for the OT position. The guy I would hate to go against is Joe Thomas. The guy is both an outstanding pass blocker as well as he can maul a guy 5 yards back in the run game. Throw in his intelligence for the position and it is just down right impossible to get around him.

Charles Clay obviously is one who will be scrutinized for being on this list. I understand his versatility makes him dangerous but he is a horrible blocker so really as a DC what you have to plan for his just his route running. He does have great hands I will give him that but really beyond that he just isn't scary.

Couple of guys I would add to the list...Not sure how LeSean McCoy doesn't make this list. The guy is one of the most versatile players in the league. He can go off for a hundred yards rushing one game then the next have a hundred yards receiving. He can handle the load of a lead back but throw in has the ability to take it the distance on any given play either by speed or even a bit of power. I would hate to have to try and game plan for that guy especially now that he has Chip Kelly making the calls.

I know he has him in his "others of note" list but how does Jamaal Charles not make the list? I mean he has Olympic speed yet is able to carry it 20 times a game. Is just as dangerous in the run game as the pass game.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clay is a monster tho. His effort is amazing.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bit under the radar is Jordy Nelson. Nelson has phenomenal hands and footwork on the sidelines; one of if not the best sideline receivers in the game today. Rodgers and Nelson have perfected the back shoulder fade to the point that it's indefensible. When teams do try to take it away, they have to drop an outside linebacker or defensive end to take away the passing lane underneath and they have to roll a safety over the top to cover the hitch & go. That's three guys to cover one player on the sideline, opening up the middle of the field for big plays.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton's easy to gameplan against...you just tell him its a playoff game.

Oh snap!!:happy:

Bazinga!

to be fair to Pey pey he had a good playoffs last year against all teams not named Seattle

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bazinga!

to be fair to Pey pey he had a good playoffs last year against all teams not named Seattle

But then again, Peyton also faced San Diego's defense (23rd YPG, 11th PPG) and New England's defense (26th YPG, 10th PPG) before Seattle's defense (1st YPG, 1st PPG).

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did these stars do against the team you root for?
Against Seattle in 2013, or 2012 ...
Calvin J in `12: 3 catches, 8 targets, 46 yds, 0 TD's. Lame
J Graham twice in `13 totals: 4 catches, 15 targets, 1 TD. Lame but did score a TD
AP in `13: 21/65/0 Weak
AP in `12: 17/182/2 Monster Game!
Brandon Marshall in `12: 10/165/0 Big game but no TDs
Cam N in `13: Passing 16/125/1...rushing 5/38/0 Pfffftttt...
Cam N in `12: Passing 12/29/0...rushing 7/42/0 Super Pfffftttt...
CJ Spillar in `12: 17/103/1 Strong performance
Gronk in `12: 6/61/0 Nothing special at all

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J Graham twice in `13 totals: 4 catches, 15 targets, 1 TD. Lame but did score a TD

This is why it is hard to have a conversation on this board without it turning into a freaking Seattle thread. Who cares how these guys did against Seattle? Very few of those guys have had much talent around them in their career so teams can focus on them. yes they have had more success against other teams even with them focusing on them. Seattle has been a good defense. Makes sense that they would find a way to stop these guys with being a good defense. Again stop trying to turn every thread into a Seahawks thread. You guys comment about how you hate people bashing on the Seahawks all the time. Well when every thread turns into a thread for them it makes it quite the challenge.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you are claiming that a smaller sample size somehow sheds more light on the subject.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why it is hard to have a conversation on this board without it turning into a freaking Seattle thread. Who cares how these guys did against Seattle? Very few of those guys have had much talent around them in their career so teams can focus on them. yes they have had more success against other teams even with them focusing on them. Seattle has been a good defense. Makes sense that they would find a way to stop these guys with being a good defense. Again stop trying to turn every thread into a Seahawks thread. You guys comment about how you hate people bashing on the Seahawks all the time. Well when every thread turns into a thread for them it makes it quite the challenge.

I was curious how these threats did against teams that folks in this forum root for. I mistakenly thought some might be curious how they matched up against us without having to look it up.
How terrible of me. Please to all offended, accept my appologies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you are claiming that a smaller sample size somehow sheds more light on the subject.

The only thing I claimed was the stats mentioned and a brief opinion of the result.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, but little hint, if you dont want it to turn into a Seattle thread..... don't reply to the guy trying to turn it into a Seattle thread...............:noidea::doh::scratch:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton Manning should have been on this list... Being a QB AND an offensive coordinator is almost just downright unfair.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was curious how these threats did against teams that folks in this forum root for. I mistakenly thought some might be curious how they matched up against us.
How terrible of me. Please to all offended, accept my appologies.

I'm not offended just get tired of every thread turning into some kind of Seahawks debate. I would rather debate the players on the list and just leave out individuals teams how they have faired against these guys. If people want to debate how the Seahawks have done against these guys then by all means go for it I guess. I just see Seahawks fans on most threads complaining about how people talk nonstop about the Seahawks yet this is a big reason why. Even threads that have very little to do with the Seahawks seem to have somebody make some kind of comment that just throws the whole thread for a loop.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but little hint, if you dont want it to turn into a Seattle thread..... don't reply to the guy trying to turn it into a Seattle thread...............:noidea::doh::scratch:

Just trying to point out to Seahawks fans that they are just as much at fault in all of these threads turning into that. I have read over and over from some Seahawks fans saying that people just can't help but bash their team even when the thread has nothing to do with them. Again this is a big reason why that happens. Everybody before that post was talking about the players. The whole thread switched directions because of that. Now given yes I helped contribute to that but again just making sure Seahawks fans take some ownership in the whole ordeal. IF you are going to complain about people talking about the Seahawks so much then maybe you should look at yourself (I include myself in that) as being just as much a part of the problem.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton Manning should have been on this list... Being a QB AND an offensive coordinator is almost just downright unfair.

I agree that Peyton should be on the list and arguably should be #1, but I think this list leaves off QBs simply because if they included QBs they would make up half the list

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Peyton should be on the list and arguably should be #1, but I think this list leaves off QBs simply because if they included QBs they would make up half the list

Cam Newton made it and Andrew Luck made honorable mention.