• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tim Wakefield retires

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is so hard to believe it as 20 years ago when he made that splash with the Pirates. Remember all the hype and even the local bands making songs about him.

Also, the what if, he pitched game 7 in the NLCS after two complete games prior! I think he was ready to be crowned the series MVP until what happened (no need for the details).

Anyway congrats on the long career and finally winning one in Boston. He will be remembered for being part of the end of the last good Pirate team.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is so hard to believe it as 20 years ago when he made that splash with the Pirates. Remember all the hype and even the local bands making songs about him.

Also, the what if, he pitched game 7 in the NLCS after two complete games prior! I think he was ready to be crowned the series MVP until what happened (no need for the details).

Anyway congrats on the long career and finally winning one in Boston. He will be remembered for being part of the end of the last good Pirate team.

ugh, nlcs memories :smash:

If Tim would've pitched game 7, he would have done it on less than 24 hours rest. While I think he physically would have been capable, as the knuckle ball style isn't near as taxing as the regular flame-thrower style, Jim made the right decision with Doug.

The part that still eats at me is the home plate umpire change in that game. The backup called a different game, and it paid dividends for atlanta in the 9th.

Anyways, CONGRATS TIM!! I believe he is the final tie we have to an active player in baseball who was a part of that 1992 team. Maybe we are turning over a new leaf? :lol:

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow..... my first memories of Tim Wakefield were of a minor league position player with a suspect bat. The story about him becoming a knuckleball pitcher was pretty neat, and was widely publicized after he burst on the major league scene as a knuckleball pitcher. I'll always look back with regret on how he was dumped by the Pirates, and then pitched for the BoSox for so many years.

He wasn't a great pitcher, but he ate a lot of innings and I had a lot of fun watching him throw that knuckler. Might be strange on my part, but Wakefield was the only guy in the American League who attracted me to watch AL games on the tube.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Always was fond of Knuckleball pitchers... So unique... I wish we had more of them in Baseball. It is refreshing to see something unconventional every so often.... The focus is always on pitchers throwing harder.. more velocity... tighter sliders... I like seeing a masterful change up... and even more so the knuckleball.

Hard to believe it has been 20 years...