• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on the exhibition games?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
impossible to get a feel for the team, with so mane vets out even with a split squad. However, this is what stuck out for me. just watched the SNET game, hopefully someone who saw the home game can chime in. (Matty, did you go?)

Eddie Lack > Kipper :D
Alberts seemed more poised in his heavy minutes today (and dare I say quicker?)
Tambellini is quick. Pretty shifty and confidet with the puck.
Same for Marco Rosa
saw flashes of brilliance (things to come?) from Schroeder.
Hordichuk is playing his way to the Mooses in a hurry.
Hansen still gets crushed so often. I'm worried one day he won't get up.
Ballard was pretty unremarkable in his first appearance.
S.O.B. was actually a calming presence out there. WTF?
one more for Eddie Lack... earned the first star in 40 minutes work. impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with those assessments... one of the things I was going to say when I logged on was how SOB and Alberts were both more impressive than Ballard. That's not good.

For the other game Schneider looked great. I think he's going to have some success this year in net. The line of Torres, Malhotra and Shirokov was very good. I didn't see much of the home game so I can't comment too much on it.

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
impossible to get a feel for the team, with so mane vets out even with a split squad. However, this is what stuck out for me. just watched the SNET game, hopefully someone who saw the home game can chime in. (Matty, did you go?)

Eddie Lack > Kipper :D
Alberts seemed more poised in his heavy minutes today (and dare I say quicker?)
Tambellini is quick. Pretty shifty and confidet with the puck.
Same for Marco Rosa
saw flashes of brilliance (things to come?) from Schroeder.
Hordichuk is playing his way to the Mooses in a hurry.
Hansen still gets crushed so often. I'm worried one day he won't get up.
Ballard was pretty unremarkable in his first appearance.
S.O.B. was actually a calming presence out there. WTF?
one more for Eddie Lack... earned the first star in 40 minutes work. impressive.

I commented in the gnt that Lack was always in position for that rebound which he gave alot of

and about Alberts playing well but questioning whether its just because everyone was playing at 80%.

I disagree about Hordichuk. While I think the team needs to cut ties with him, he was noticeable. He had a strong forecheck, was hitting guys (his huge hit in the corner created time and space for Marco Rosa on that wraparound) and I saw him battling in front of the Calgary net more than a few times last night which is something i rarely remember from last season. Good game from a not very good player

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I commented in the gnt that Lack was always in position for that rebound which he gave alot of

and about Alberts playing well but questioning whether its just because everyone was playing at 80%.

I disagree about Hordichuk. While I think the team needs to cut ties with him, he was noticeable. He had a strong forecheck, was hitting guys (his huge hit in the corner created time and space for Marco Rosa on that wraparound) and I saw him battling in front of the Calgary net more than a few times last night which is something i rarely remember from last season. Good game from a not very good player

I did notice that Hordi and his linemates have the Iginla line hemmed in their own zone for a pretty good shift shortly after the 1-0 goal. That caused a chuckle.
and yes he was more noticeable last night (which may or may not be a good thing for his game), but what stuck out for me was him taking unnecessary penalties. If he's going to give up 2 or 3 PPs in a game like this, I wouldn't imagine it would improve against a higher caliber squad.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Province today...

Calgary's Big Line or Big 3 or Big Disappointment, whatever folks wind up calling them, just those three have 2,644 NHL games between them _ that's 631 more than the entire roster the Canucks iced in Calgary last night.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
impressed with Eddie Lack. he needs to work on his rebounds but hes solid to the shooter and huge. can fight through a crowd to pick out a shot.

biggest disappointment is Tanner Glass. if we have this guy in our lineup come playoffs we wont be winning nothing. why is he even on the roster.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh and Hordi is also a waste of a spot.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Botchfords breakdown

Kevin Bieksa: Same old, same old. Anyone expecting a reinvented Bieksa didn't get an encouraging start. He had a couple giveaways, couldn't generate much on the pp and wasn't engaged physically. Think last April. Or March.

Brendan Morrison: Probably, the Canucks best forward. But that's like being the best team in the NFC West. He won 73% of faceoffs. Played nearly 22 minutes, set up a couple nice chances on the PP and showed he's still got the speed at 35. Maybe he's not physical enough for a fourth line role, but how he doesn't have a contract in Toronto for $1.5 million is beyond me.

Raffi Torres: Afterward, Torres said he doesn't play preseason games. It showed. Intense off the hop, he said he treated it like the regular season. He gave a damn, and that should count for something. He scored a goal and levied hits. Even after plays, and that's something the Canucks didn't have in last year's playoffs. Good stuff. If he keeps playing like that, $1m will be bargain. He's proven before, however, it's not that easy.

Peter Schaefer: Uncomfortable and unable to get in sync with linemates.

Manny Malhotra: Got flipped in the nose by a Giordano. Officials missed it, basically apologized to him and moved on. He missed three shifts and was stable in the game, though disappointed after.

Aaron Rome: The Canucks best defencemen. Again, barely a compliment. Had a lot of slack to pick but did a good job handling the load.

Guillaume Desbiens: Couldn't play himself off the power play. He rarely touched the puck which was only effective in bringing back memories of Steve Bernier.

Rick Rypien: Long history of injuries wasn't helped Wednesday when he went down after five shifts.

Victor Oreskovich: Looked great on a hit on Sarich. Looked anything but in a fight with Jackman.

Bill Sweatt: Screamed down the wing early in the first period, spurring Alex Burrows to compare him to Mason Raymond. Not bad for his first pro game. He was frustrated despite a decent performance after the game. That's more encouraging than his play.

Stefan Schneider: A former defenceman who is now a forward. He didn't look like either when Nik Hagman turned him inside out scoring a goal in the slot.

Prab Rai: Probably some serious nerves for the Surrey native, who had speed but couldn't do a thing with it.

Lee Sweatt: A revelation. No one improved their lot more. Burrows compared him to Rafalski, adding he's "maybe more physical." He was the Canucks best PP QB. Undersized in height, Burrows warned of the stocky d-man's physical side. Sweatt didn't let him down, making three noteworthy hits.

Sergei Shirokov: Does anyone like preseason more? Doubt it. In terms of pace, it's his sweet spot. The Russian was all over the offensive zone. He had an assist, five shots on net and just missed three more.

Kevin Connauton: Struggled in his own end. That was expected. Struggled on the power play. That was not.

Evan Oberg: Uh, where to start? At the bottom, where Oberg's game is at. "He has to play better," said a source in the organization. It was an understatement. Good news, he can't play any worse. Can he?

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does another game come on the NHL network tonight?