• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on Eric Ebron.........

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 5 years, I think Eric Ebron could be 26 years old. Unless he somehow learns to catch we've wasted a pick. Jimmy Graham he ain't.

As I said before, during and after the draft. There is only one Jimmy Graham. Outside of playing the same position and not being very good at blocking -- the comparison stops.

Graham is bigger, faster and has much better hands. He is a basketball player with football skills. Ebron is athletic and will give Detroit a TE to run vertical routes that they didn't have in the past, but to me, you don't spend a top 10 pick on a luxury player like that. That is just my opinion though.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than Staff, Suh and Reif haven't most of our 1st rounders been luxury picks? (Recently, this Millenium)

I mean, Calvin was another receiver, we had plenty. Fairley was another DT, we had an awesome one.

Not that I like Mayhews decision making record in any way shape or form, but luxury pick sometimes gets thrown around more than the word "elite". In my opinion.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is hard to tell on here when someone is joking or if they are serious. Mentioning Vincent Jackson in the same sentence as Ebron is about the same as mentioning Jimmy Graham in the same sentence as Ebron.

I'd love to have a guy like Vincent Jackson on the Lions. He is like a poor man's Calvin Johnson. Same height as Calvin, but slower and doesn't have the same vertical, but he is still a freak (ran a 4.46 and had a 39 inch vertical at the combine).

Ebron is athletic for a TE, but he isn't when compared to the elite WR's.

Looks like it's a lot closer than you think on this one-

Vincent Jackson, 6'5" 241 lbs:
40 yard dash- 4.46
20 yard dash- 2.63
10 yard dash- 1.67
225 Reps- 23
Vertical Jump- 39"
Broad Jump- 10'9"
20 Yard Shuttle- 4.00
3 Cone Drill- NA

Eric Ebron 6'4" 250 lbs:
40 yard dash- 4.50
20 yard dash- 2.63
10 yard dash- 1.61
225 Reps- 24
Vertical Jump- 32"
Broad Jump- 10'00"
20 Yard Shuttle- 4.45
3 Cone Drill- 7.49

I'd say he might have been being more serious than you gave him credit for. I'd also speculate that Ebron is more athletic than you might think, based on your disbelief that the comparison he made couldn't be serious. Jackson has a better vertical, but everything else is pretty close, especially considering that one is a TE and the other a WR.

Vincent Jackson*|*Northern Colorado,*WR*:*2005 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

*Eric Ebron*|*North Carolina,*TE*:*2014 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never realized Vincent Jackson was that athletic. Vincent "Bo" Jackson yeah, but not this one. That's one helluva verticle for a big fella.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is hard to tell on here when someone is joking or if they are serious. Mentioning Vincent Jackson in the same sentence as Ebron is about the same as mentioning Jimmy Graham in the same sentence as Ebron.

I'd love to have a guy like Vincent Jackson on the Lions. He is like a poor man's Calvin Johnson. Same height as Calvin, but slower and doesn't have the same vertical, but he is still a freak (ran a 4.46 and had a 39 inch vertical at the combine).

Ebron is athletic for a TE, but he isn't when compared to the elite WR's.

I don't get this part? Ebron gets mentioned in the same sentence as Graham all the time. Am I to assume you must think all those people make that comparison don't know what they're talking about because Ebron isn't as tall as Graham? Otherwise they're both highly athletic pass-catching TEs, pretty easy comparison to make, imo...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said before, during and after the draft. There is only one Jimmy Graham. Outside of playing the same position and not being very good at blocking -- the comparison stops.

Graham is bigger, faster and has much better hands. He is a basketball player with football skills. Ebron is athletic and will give Detroit a TE to run vertical routes that they didn't have in the past, but to me, you don't spend a top 10 pick on a luxury player like that. That is just my opinion though.

I think you have that one backwards.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ebron can be as athletic as any wideout in the game but until he shows he can hang onto the ball and run good routes he is a man without a role.

He is a work in progress. He very well could develop into a a very good hybrid option but I get the feeling he is suffering first year developmental issues. And on a team with CJ, Tate, Bush, Furia, and Fuller/Broyles/Pettigrew/Ross he will need to earn any passes he gets. Way to many options to worry about a guy needing to develop.

I was not worked up over the Ebron selection because I didn't think their was a slam dunk at 10. Now, Today, I think taking Dennard would have been the smart play. With no depth and injuries to the CBs the Lions are desperate for corner help and I don't think retreads are the way to go. They may be a necessity but damn a good young corner would be really helpful right now. And no Lawson isn't in the Gilbert, Dennard, Verrett category yet.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than Staff, Suh and Reif haven't most of our 1st rounders been luxury picks? (Recently, this Millenium)

I mean, Calvin was another receiver, we had plenty. Fairley was another DT, we had an awesome one.

Not that I like Mayhews decision making record in any way shape or form, but luxury pick sometimes gets thrown around more than the word "elite". In my opinion.

Imo the term "luxury pick" is something NFL people (GMs, coaches, scouts, etc...) laugh at. There's no such thing as a luxury pick in a business the size of the NFL. Whether us amateurs (and let's not forget that we're amateurs- if we knew half as much about this stuff as we all like to think we'd be working in the business) agree with a given pick or not, I promise there's plenty of research and thought put into each pick.

NFL teams can't afford to make a "luxury" selection- they pick the guy who they think will turn out to be the best player over the long term, not the guy who fills the biggest immediate hole, especially in the early rounds...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is ther such a thing as an Elite Luxury pick?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking a 3rd TE when you're about to lose 4 CB's from an already depleted secondary, is a luxury pick. And don't say Mayhew couldn't have seen it coming. They cut two of them because they have failed to develop, and Houston and Lil' Bill have both been injury prone. Meanwhile Mayhew re-signed Pettigrew and found a TE last year good enough for 7 rookie TD's.

You don't gloss over a monolith sized weakness to add a 3rd TE, especially when you already signed Golden Tate.

Ebron is the very definition of a luxury pick made by a team who (obviously now to everyone) could not afford to, but did. Bad drafting by a desperate GM at the end of his rope. I really think Mayhew was just dying to get someone, ANYONE, to take bodies off of Calvin. Sammy Watkins, Eric Ebron, didn't matter. Been like that forever (Pettigrew, Titus, Best, Broyles, Bush etc...). Good idea, but not at the grave expense of your weakest link.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it's worth Ebron has yet to drop a pass in the NFL. Maybe we should wait for that to become an issue before we start attributing to him a case of the dropsies?

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking a 3rd TE when you're about to lose 4 CB's from an already depleted secondary, is a luxury pick. And don't say Mayhew couldn't have seen it coming. They cut two of them because they have failed to develop, and Houston and Lil' Bill have both been injury prone. Meanwhile Mayhew re-signed Pettigrew and found a TE last year good enough for 7 rookie TD's.

You don't gloss over a monolith sized weakness to add a 3rd TE, especially when you already signed Golden Tate.

Ebron is the very definition of a luxury pick made by a team who (obviously now to everyone) could not afford to, but did. Bad drafting by a desperate GM at the end of his rope. I really think Mayhew was just dying to get someone, ANYONE, to take bodies off of Calvin. Sammy Watkins, Eric Ebron, didn't matter. Been like that forever (Pettigrew, Titus, Best, Broyles, Bush etc...). Good idea, but not at the grave expense of your weakest link.
:bawling: Would you like a tissue?
:sadbron:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it's worth Ebron has yet to drop a pass in the NFL. Maybe we should wait for that to become an issue before we start attributing to him a case of the dropsies?

He dropped 2 on Monday vs. NY.

Eric Ebron failed to reel in either of his two targets in the

Eric Ebron failed to reel in either of his two targets in the Lions' Week 1 win over the Giants. Ebron saw a target in the end zone, but failed to high-point the ball and dropped it.

Eric Ebron played on 18-of-68 snaps in Monday night's Week 1

Ebron was targeted three times Monday, including one red-zone target. Ebron is not upset he finished with no catches, but he vows that won't happen again.

"When my number is called next time, just them passes, just come down with them," Ebron said.

Last edited by a moderator:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically there's a difference between not hauling in a "target" and having a "drop."

Reference 'ball, catchable' for more information on the topic.

Talk about twisting stats, smh...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch the games, TPaul. He dropped passes.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3