• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This 'PSA' About Ben Roethlisberger Is An Unmitigated Disaster

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben may be a bit more motivated after this attempt to make fun of him by a Cincy radio station. What a bunch of idiots!

This 'PSA' About Ben Roethlisberger Is An Unmitigated Disaster

A Cincinnati radio station aired what was supposed to be an amusing mock public service announcement on Thursday, “warning” women between the ages of 18 and 40 that Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was entering Cincy’s city limits. 700WLW's PSA alluded to Roethlisberger’s murky history with sexual violence, using the fact that he has been accused of r*pe multiple times as a source of humor and lighthearted fodder for its segment.

It's unclear what’s more shocking here: that a professional radio station would put together this spoof or that someone, anyone, could think that joking about sexual violence is at all comical in this day and age.

The transcript of the "PSA" -- which was ostensibly released to fuel the rivalry between Steelers and Cincinnati Bengals fans before their teams face off in a Wild Card game this Saturday -- is worth quoting in full:

"This is a severe Big Ben Roethlisberger update from 700WLW. The tri-state is currently under a severe Big Ben warning from now through early Sunday morning. The Steelers quarterback has been spotted in the downtown Cincinnati area. All females ages 18 to 40 are to use extreme caution, especially if heavily consuming alcohol. Males should also be on the lookout just in case. If you see Big Ben and he flashes Little Ben, you are asked to report it to authorities immediately. Again, a severe Big Ben warning in effect until early Sunday morning. He poses the greatest threat to 18 to 40 year olds, especially those with boob jobs, in the downtown Cincinnati area. You are safe if you live in Butler or Clermont Counties, pretty much anywhere in Kentucky, and most of southeast Indiana. When Ben’s penis breaks out, we break in."

The airing of this “warning” comes almost exactly two months after Deadspin published an investigative report detailing how fellow NFL-er Greg Hardy allegedly attacked and choked girlfriend Nicole Holder in 2014. It comes three semesters after former Columbia University student Emma Sulkowicz began to carry a mattress everywhere she went on campus to protest the college’s refusal to punish the student who she (and others) said had committed r*pe -- the student who she had previously considered her friend. And it comes the year after we all let ourselves quickly forget about the problematic culture of sexual assault at the University of Virginia, when just one specific report of r*pe was deemed unfounded.

Ben Roethlisberger was never actually charged with r*pe. He hushed up the first episode in 2008 by way of a settlement, and received a quick four-game NFL suspension for his 2011 incident, while the criminal charges were dropped.

But, honestly, whether or not this one quarterback was convicted is irrelevant here. Besides cracking jokes about sexual violence, this spoof is also incredibly misogynistic, with a bizarre blame-the-victim undertone. For goodness’ sake, within 53 seconds it objectifies (“especially those with boob jobs”) and partially blames (“especially if heavily consuming alcohol”) past and potential sexual assault victims, while consistently trivializing the act of r*pe itself (“If you see Big Ben and he flashes Little Ben …”).

At the bottom of its article on the PSA, TMZ asked its readers to vote whether the “r*pe warning” went “way too far” or if it was “hilarious.” At the time that this article was published, 28,243 people had participated in TMZ’s poll -- nearly half of them (12,992) really did think that it was hysterical.

That right there is the problem. As we make light of topics like sexual violence, overlooking episodes of cruelty because the athletes involved are our heroes or our franchises' saviors, it sends two related, dangerous messages. First, that people like those at 700WLW radio can, without repercussions, continue to find the amusement in cases of abuse, belittling the harm and trauma that the victims of such violence have suffered. And, second, it negates the seriousness of the acts themselves, quite literally presenting r*pe as entertaining.

As long as 46 percent of us believe that this kind of belittlement is “hilarious” -- or remotely acceptable whatsoever -- this type of issue will continue to crop up. As long as 46 percent of us believe that we can make light of -- and get laughs out of -- violence and tragedy, it’s going to be pretty damn hard for any of us to learn, evolve or move forward.

We need to do better.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure that this stupid "PSA" will motivate the Steelers even more, to pound the Bengals into kitty litter in their own house.

GFY and DIAF, WLW.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals suck and it's not like Pittsburgh needs any extra motivation to show up in the playoffs but this is what happens when you r*pe someone. People are always gonna call you out and make jokes at your expense. It happens, just ask Kobe.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... Cincinnati just wow.

Bengals fans & the city of Cincinnati were made for each other. They’re like a white trash couple that gets married in Vegas with an Elvis impersonator conducting the ceremony.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think it's pretty funny. Maybe not smart to piss off Ben and the Steelers, but kind of funny.

What's ridiculous is the article mentions the girl who carried around the mattress when her story is dubious at best and flat out fabricated at worst, and it also mentions the University of Virginia which was the subject of the made up Rolling Stone r*pe story.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... Cincinnati just wow.

Bengals fans & the city of Cincinnati were made for each other. They’re like a white trash couple that gets married in Vegas with an Elvis impersonator conducting the ceremony.

I don't know if its fair to project the decision of what was at most a handful of people at a radio station onto the entire city of Cincinnati, but, whatever.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not WLW's best day

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if its fair to project the decision of what was at most a handful of people at a radio station onto the entire city of Cincinnati, but, whatever.
You're right I shouldn't... But being that this is FAR from the worst that their fanbase has said & done in the past... And considering that city's "proud history," I'll go ahead and throw a blanket over that sumbitch

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. I live near in the Cincinnati area, and I couldn't be more of a diehard Steeler fan. It's just the bozos at WLW that find something stupid like that to be funny.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Radio shock jocks are morons!

I still remember an idiot shock jock in Arizona who thought it was funny to call Daryl Kile's widow and ask her if she had a date to the Arizona-St Louis playoff game.

As you can imagine, that did not go over well.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals suck and it's not like Pittsburgh needs any extra motivation to show up in the playoffs but this is what happens when you r*pe someone. People are always gonna call you out and make jokes at your expense. It happens, just ask Kobe.

It has never been proven that Ben r-aped anyone.

Here are the undisputed facts:

The broad at the hotel in Tahoe went around telling her co-workers that she was going to land Ben, and have his baby. Next thing you know, she's crying r-ape. Logical conclusion: they had consensual sex, and then he ditched her, probably in a most undiplomatic fashion.

As to the Georgia incident, the woman in question came to the bar looking to hook up with Ben. She was already somewhat intoxicated when she got there. (And BTW, though she was underage for drinking purposes, she was a legal adult for all others, including sex). After voluntarily drinking with Ben, she voluntarily accompanied him to the restroom, where she apparently rendered unto him a "Belvedere Jehosephat." He certainly didn't drag her into the restroom, and there was no evidence of an assault.

Though I don't know this for sure, I'd imagine that he gave the coed the ol' brushoff as well. Was she aware of the prior allegation? Probably, and if so, she may have thought it would give her greater credibility and leverage. Then again, maybe not, since she was too drunk to keep her story straight long enough to complete a police report. Thus, no charges were ever filed...they were not "dropped," as someone on here mentioned.

I'm not suggesting that Ben did nothing wrong. Though I don't believe he was a r-apist, he was known to be something of a self-centered asshole in those days...exactly the type to use women and then dump them. And when you're a famous multi-millionaire with a Super Bowl ring, you do that shit at your peril, even if your conduct is well short of criminal. Ben's cavalier attitude could have destroyed his life, and I'm glad he settled down.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
r*pe jokes about Big Ben still? "Yo Mama" jokes must be on next weeks agenda?

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And BTW, someone should tell those dickheads at WLW that referring to Ben's schwantz as "Little Ben" was in especially poor taste.

Why? Because Ben has a young son, who also happens to be named Ben.

Radio assholes. :L

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably one of the dumbest (if not the dumbest) things the Bengals could have done.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WLW is a great station by the way. I listen to it daily.