• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This offseason

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to sign Yasmany Tomas and trade for a front-line starter. Make it happen, FO!

With a healthy Pollock, Owings, Trumbo, Goldy, Montero, etc. our offense is only missing a bat or two. It's the rotation that I worry about most.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D-backs add former reliever Putz to front office

D-backs add former reliever Putz to front office

PHOENIX -- Former closer J.J. Putz is coming back to the D-backs. Not in a playing role this time, but rather as special assistant to team president and CEO Derrick Hall.

Putz will fill a variety of roles assisting not just Hall, but other departments on both the baseball and business sides of the organization.

"I am very excited to give back to the game that I love and have been fortunate to be a part of for 14 years," Putz said in a statement. "To be a part of such a great organization is a blessing. My family and I have been so grateful to be a part of the Arizona community. It is a dream come true to work alongside a great man like Derrick. There are not enough great things to say about this organization. I am forever thankful."

Putz will attend community events, meet with corporate partners and interact with season-ticket holders, and he will be in uniform during Spring Training to work with the pitching staff. In addition, during the season, he will visit the team's Minor League affiliates to work with the organization's younger pitchers.
Putz was released by the D-backs last summer after compiling a 6.59 ERA in 18 relief appearances in 2014.
After joining the D-backs as a free agent in 2011, Putz saved a career-high 45 games that season as the D-backs won the National League West title. He had a 2.82 ERA and 32 saves in 2012, and in 2013, he lost the closer role after battling a variety of injuries. He finished that season with a 2.36 ERA and hoped to rebound in 2014.

Over his 12-year career, Putz posted 189 saves and he was an American League All-Star in 2007, also winning the AL Rolaids Relief Man of the Year Award that same year.
"J.J.'s performance on the field and popularity off the field make him a tremendous addition to the front office," said Hall. "His personality is a perfect fit for our culture, and we are looking forward to him helping the D-backs in a number of different ways during this next phase of his career."

I always liked JJ. He always seemed like a fun guy. Too bad age/injury/ability ended his career. I am really surprised he is not trying a comeback this season for some team.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Putz is going to be Hall's bitch boy?

I'm also surprised that he isn't trying to join another team.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montero had a solid year until the last month, still no where near his 2012 year, he needs to get it together, as for the another bat obviously we need a lead off hitter, and as for Trumbo whats the difference between him and Justin Upton? They both strike out a lot, they both homer, and they get there rbis. Just never understood that trade......

Didi just can't hit the ball. Offensively when were healthy were middle of the pack, but our starting rotation is shit! And we have no depth in our bull pen.

We got a lot of work to do, I hope for an aggressive off season keeping our building blocks, like Goldy, Pollock, Miley, Ziegler. Get rid of Cahill!

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd think a crew of new guys in the FO would want to make a splash and be aggressive. There is talent out there. Sign a guy like Melky or Nelson Cruz (spare me the steroid morality excuses). See if Scherzer wants to come back to his roots.

What they have will obviously not suffice, and they are quite a few players away.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd think a crew of new guys in the FO would want to make a splash and be aggressive. There is talent out there. Sign a guy like Melky or Nelson Cruz (spare me the steroid morality excuses). See if Scherzer wants to come back to his roots.

What they have will obviously not suffice, and they are quite a few players away.

There is no money for that. They are likely to be $10-15 mil below what they spent last season. They are already sitting around $70 mil before arbitration. So if the goal is to be between $95-100 mil, there is no room to spend on guys who cost $15-25 aav. They are going to have to trade for talent or grab mid-level & bargain players.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is there no money for that? I see what you are saying, but there IS money...AZ has just decided not to spend it and try to play money ball without the brains to make it work.

Teams like the D-Backs these days need to spend money. Signing Nelson Cruz, while being expensive, doesn't require a ton of baseball savvy. Bargain shopping by morons yields Trevor Cahills and Brandon McCarthys. I know it's a "new regime" but I see more similarities than differences with the KT era so far.

Dry Heat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
LAWD forgot about this place lol

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is there no money for that? I see what you are saying, but there IS money...AZ has just decided not to spend it and try to play money ball without the brains to make it work.

Teams like the D-Backs these days need to spend money. Signing Nelson Cruz, while being expensive, doesn't require a ton of baseball savvy. Bargain shopping by morons yields Trevor Cahills and Brandon McCarthys. I know it's a "new regime" but I see more similarities than differences with the KT era so far.

There is no money because they bumped up payroll the last 2 seasons & ended up with nothing but an empty ballpark & crappy contracts. They basically have $30 mil of crap in Cahill, Ross, & Arroyo sucking 1/3 of the payroll for 2015. Derrick has stated that the payroll will likely be under $100 mil this season. That leaves the team with about $15 mil of space after arbitration is done to fill out the roster. There just isn't any money right now unless the team trades Hill, Montero or Trumbo. You can't sign big name guys with that little amount of money.

This team with all the young players plus all the arms coming back from injury will likely be mediocre at best in 2015. For me, 2016 should be the target with some combination of Bradley, Shipley, Chaffin, or Blair in the rotation. 2016 is the year that you will likely see bigger free agent signings when Cahill & Ross come off the books & either Hill or Montero are gone.

Also don't forget that with the first overall pick in each round, a significant portion of the payroll will have to into signing those guys.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to sign Yasmany Tomas and trade for a front-line starter. Make it happen, FO!

With a healthy Pollock, Owings, Trumbo, Goldy, Montero, etc. our offense is only missing a bat or two. It's the rotation that I worry about most.

Hey, they actually listened to me.