• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL The vote for this new rule will be 5/28

Do you like this option/

• Yes

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 4th and 15 onside kickoff rule

As hard as the onside kick offs are to recover now days how often do you think this would be attempted?

NFL owners to vote on wild rule change that would allow a fourth-and-15 onside kick alternative

NFL owners to vote on wild rule change that would allow a fourth-and-15 onside kick alternative

A dramatic rule change pertaining to onside kicks could be coming to the NFL in 2020 if the league's owners vote to make it happen. The Eagles have proposed a rule that would give teams an alternative option to the onside kick. Instead of trying to recover an onside kick, teams would have the option of attempting to convert a fourth-and-15 play from their own 25-yard line. If they get the 15 yards, they get a first down and keep possession of the ball. If they don't get the 15 yards, the other team would take over possession from wherever the play ended.

For the rule to pass, 24 of the NFL's 32 owners would have to vote on it at their next meeting, which will be held virtually on May 28.

A big reason the competition committee liked the idea is because the success rate for onside kicks has fallen dramatically under the NFL's new kickoff rules, which were implemented in 2018. Under the new rules, players aren't allowed to get a running start, which makes it almost impossible to recover an onside kick. The onside recovery rate was just 7.5 percent in 2018 (4 of 53), which was a dramatic decrease over the 21.7 percent recovery rate from 2017 (13 of 60), when the running start was still permitted. In 2019, the onside rate went up to 12.5 percent (7 out of 56), but that was largely thanks to Falcons kicker Younghoe Koo, who converted two in one game.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could have sworn they made this rule last year.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trick question.
If they are idiots & leave the onside kickoff rules the way they are. Then yes. I am for it.

but the real answer is to let them go back to the old ways of onside kicks. i dont want to hear any bullshit about injuries either. Who can remember the last time a player was injured on an onside kick. (way less than 4th & 15 play I guarantee that)

Only drawback. there wouldnt be any surprise onside kicks anymore. Since normal kickoff rules would be different. You would have to make it clear you were kicking an onside kick so the players could advance with the kickoff.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been in favour of something like this for many years. The NFL has been killing the kickoff for years on grounds of safety. I'd actually go further and make it mandatory. That would result in most teams choosing to punt. That's fine. A punt is more interesting than a kickoff. I'd also change the rules on punts to penalise punts that go out-of-bounds.

At this point i'm not going to argue whether the target should be 15 yards, more, or less. If it needs adjusting it will be sorted out over time.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love this idea too. But too bad no team is going to use it recklessly ( that would be awesome ). Besides absolute-must situations, won't be seeing it often.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams can only go for it twice a game

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football continues to toy with more sissified amendments. Figures it’s the Eagles proposing it. :duck:

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm against it. Only because it favors better passing teams.
If the Titans have to go for it, it pretty much eliminates their primary weapon, running Henry.
Maybe the Titans aren't a good example as their passing game was decent. But this is a rule change that favors passing teams more than rushing teams.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 4th and 15 onside kickoff rule

As hard as the onside kick offs are to recover now days how often do you think this would be attempted?

A dramatic rule change pertaining to onside kicks could be coming to the NFL in 2020 if the league's owners vote to make it happen. The Eagles have proposed a rule that would give teams an alternative option to the onside kick. Instead of trying to recover an onside kick, teams would have the option of attempting to convert a fourth-and-15 play from their own 25-yard line. If they get the 15 yards, they get a first down and keep possession of the ball. If they don't get the 15 yards, the other team would take over possession from wherever the play ended.

For the rule to pass, 24 of the NFL's 32 owners would have to vote on it at their next meeting, which will be held virtually on May 28.

A big reason the competition committee liked the idea is because the success rate for onside kicks has fallen dramatically under the NFL's new kickoff rules, which were implemented in 2018. Under the new rules, players aren't allowed to get a running start, which makes it almost impossible to recover an onside kick. The onside recovery rate was just 7.5 percent in 2018 (4 of 53), which was a dramatic decrease over the 21.7 percent recovery rate from 2017 (13 of 60), when the running start was still permitted. In 2019, the onside rate went up to 12.5 percent (7 out of 56), but that was largely thanks to Falcons kicker Younghoe Koo, who converted two in one game.
yuck

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just do away with Special Teams. They've screwed with kickoffs. Can't make any kind of jump over the offensive line on FG attempts. The reality is that most of the changes are anti-Patriot rules. Belichick figured out how to make the old rules work for his team and every year following, the rules get changed. Same for chucking WR at the line of scrimmage, allowing a TE inside of a OT and having the tackle declare himself ineligible, Lining up seven me to the right side on on-sides kicks, Leaping over the center on punts or FG.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, first off - no thanks. Onside kicks are supposed to be ridiculously hard. That's the point. It's to minimize the chance of "gaming" the system (just like bball needs to find a way to end the ridiculously called fouls at the end of games by the losing team, but that is a different rant).

Onside Kicks have a success rate of roughly 7%.

4th and 15 success rate was closer to 25% (23% per the article linked at the bottom).

I realize it's only used once, and in the 4th quarter - but I'm not for giving a team a near 25% chance of getting the ball back.

Maybe if it were closer to the 15% success range, I'd be OK with it. Maybe that would be the equivalent to 4th and 20? 4th and 25? Not sure, but I'm not a fan of this proposal as it currently stands.

Proposed "4th and 15" onside kick alternative can only be used once in the 4th quarter

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, first off - no thanks. Onside kicks are supposed to be ridiculously hard. That's the point. It's to minimize the chance of "gaming" the system (just like bball needs to find a way to end the ridiculously called fouls at the end of games by the losing team, but that is a different rant).

Onside Kicks have a success rate of roughly 7%.

4th and 15 success rate was closer to 25% (23% per the article linked at the bottom).

I realize it's only used once, and in the 4th quarter - but I'm not for giving a team a near 25% chance of getting the ball back.

Maybe if it were closer to the 15% success range, I'd be OK with it. Maybe that would be the equivalent to 4th and 20? 4th and 25? Not sure, but I'm not a fan of this proposal as it currently stands.

Proposed "4th and 15" onside kick alternative can only be used once in the 4th quarter
I agree. Too high of odds.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just do away with Special Teams. They've screwed with kickoffs. Can't make any kind of jump over the offensive line on FG attempts. The reality is that most of the changes are anti-Patriot rules. Belichick figured out how to make the old rules work for his team and every year following, the rules get changed. Same for chucking WR at the line of scrimmage, allowing a TE inside of a OT and having the tackle declare himself ineligible, Lining up seven me to the right side on on-sides kicks, Leaping over the center on punts or FG.
every loophole bill finds quickly gets closed. that call on mclellan for jumping the line vs the jets a few years back on a kick still bugs me.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
every loophole bill finds quickly gets closed. that call on mclellan for jumping the line vs the jets a few years back on a kick still bugs me.

No one wants to feel stupid. Professional head coaches that have never read all of the rules especially don't want to feel stupid or look stupid.
The problem is that they know that BB has read and studied every rule and has made a career taking advantage of circumstances when they are presented and opposing coaches have no idea what the rules say and have zero tolerance of his staff being as lazy as hium.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one wants to feel stupid. Professional head coaches that have never read all of the rules especially don't want to feel stupid or look stupid.
The problem is that they know that BB has read and studied every rule and has made a career taking advantage of circumstances when they are presented and opposing coaches have no idea what the rules say and have zero tolerance of his staff being as lazy as hium.
"tackle eligible"

i still laugh at that. harbaugh was clueless.