• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Vandy thread

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can never be sure, but is say Vandermeers back to back no- hitters is one of FEW sports records that won't be broken.

There are a few others in MLB-
No one will ever again pitch enough games to win or lose as many as Cy Young. 300 wins is still an elite modern day HOF benchmark, but it's a fraction of CY's unspeakable number.

On a more modern note, if there is any truth to the PED era being over, I don't think Pete Rose's hit record is reachable... 200 hits a season is rare, and you gotta do it 21 seasons to even get in the neighborhood.

To be perfectly honest, Aaron's old 755 HR record, and even Ruth's prior 714 benchmark, are probably un-obtainable without vitamin S.

DiMaggio's 56 consecutive games with a hit is a tall task, not that many players even play in that many consecutive games....making Ripken's consecutive games played record look out of reach, too.

...and the Yankees could never win another Word Series, and would still probably have the most total at the end of time.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was mistaken thinking Homer was going to pitch Sunday.
It will be tougher for him in Milwah-wah ...

On records, I had once believed .400 was reachable again and maybe was until this past year when the umps decided to start calling a strike zone according to the Pitch Fx numbers instead of their instincts. Hitters simply cannot handle strikes that are in their armpits and that's what's happening.

The supershifts they are putting on now and the junkballs that look like strikes ... gotta realize that as well, Williams got to see a pitcher 6 or 7 times over a season and always for at least 8 innings each start.

Most hitting records like that are untouchable over a sustained period. Somebody will hit 60 HR again but never will we see 30 wins by a pitcher or even 60 saves by a closer. If anybody steals 60 bases again, I will be surprised but Bill Hamilton might be able to -- if he can hit .220. Willy Taveras could not.