• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The play calling has to get better

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was Gruden thinking in the first half of that game? He was trying to get Roberts and Paul involved over Jackson, Garcon and Reed. It doesn't make sense. Someone has to be open out of Jackson, Garcon, and Reed. They cant double cover everybody. The play calls constantly coming in late. This keeps happening every week. He finally realized that he has to get Reed involved more. They targeted him a lot in the 2nd half. This is inexcusable. Reed should have the most targets on this team without a doubt.

Clock management and play calling have to get better for Gruden. This is embarrassing. He has so many weapons to use. After the Dallas's first turnover, Garcon, Jax, and Reed weren't even in the game. Why? this is getting ridiculous guys. Awful offensive coaching. We should of killed them last night and it went into overtime. That game should have never been that close.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was Gruden thinking in the first half of that game? He was trying to get Roberts and Paul involved over Jackson, Garcon and Reed. It doesn't make sense. Someone has to be open out of Jackson, Garcon, and Reed. They cant double cover everybody. The play calls constantly coming in late. This keeps happening every week. He finally realized that he has to get Reed involved more. They targeted him a lot in the 2nd half. This is inexcusable. Reed should have the most targets on this team without a doubt.

Clock management and play calling have to get better for Gruden. This is embarrassing. He has so many weapons to use. After the Dallas's first turnover, Garcon, Jax, and Reed weren't even in the game. Why? this is getting ridiculous guys. Awful offensive coaching. We should of killed them last night and it went into overtime. That game should have never been that close.

dude , we won , we beat our biggest rival at his house when no one thought we could . enjoy it :suds:

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are very good reasons why Gruden did what he did last night. First, the other team realizes that Jackson, Garcon and Reed are on the team and have prepared for them. Reed, is just coming back from injury and his reliance had to be an impediment for the HC. Jackson does demand double coverage and I'm sure that what his intentions were.....was to open the field by softening the middle. Garcon as has been proven time and again, does not require double coverage. He also was dealing with Colt McCoy as for the first time in his offense, knew his limitations, and, as most of us saw in the pre-game interview, was dealing with a QB who seems ready to shit his pants, while leaving his dinner in the nearest toilet.

Clock management is not a particular strength of McCoys, as it is with KC, who runs a great huddle, but is suspect beyond that. BTW: every play ever called in the NFL or anywhere else is designed to have a positive outcome, depending on execution. Is it really the HC's fault that he does not have a team that executes far better and more often than it fails?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong I am enjoying this win. But you guys have to question the clock mgt and play calling of that game. sty, yes it falls on the head coach for clock mgt and giving our best player a chance to win. Why wasn't Reed even targeted in the first half? Out of those three I mentioned they can t cover everybody. Reports say Garcon was flipping out at half time. Why? Bc the play calling sucked and they chose to get Roberts and Paul involved over Garcon.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Dean, we simply have to improve on this. When I saw the thread I thought he meant the plays selected. I had a problem with that too. When Colt hit Garcon on the crossing pattern to start OT, like a 15 yard gain, I yelled "that's what I've been looking for all game". Seems like they tried 2 deep ones to DJax and the rest where dump offs. There are plays in between, they need to play to their strength and get the ball to the WRs and Reed.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a bit frustrated with the offense early on. However - if you step back & look at this objectively (especially after a few days have passed) you would realize that this is not that easy given the situation.

You are talking about a first year coach that has had to manage an offense using three different QBs (with very different styles) after only one half of a season. Combine that with periodic offensive line issues & less than dependable STs & this would be a challenge even for a seasoned coach let alone a rookie head coach.

All told - Gruden did pretty well. Give him & the team more time to get used to each other & the results could be better than expected.

HTTR

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gruden did pretty well? He even admitted that he almost blew the game on National TV. lol

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gruden did pretty well? He even admitted that he almost blew the game on National TV. lol

Dean, you always seem to over react my friend. That was a very difficult environment (I was there) to win in on MNF. Keep in mind we are not playing very well, Dallas was playing very well (6 wins straight) and Gruden is now working with McCoy at QB. Not only does he not have confidence in his line (hince the Compton move), he does not have absolute faith in Morris any longer and the ball must come out quickly to avoid possible sacks and turn overs. We were playing a fairly good team btw. Things will improve as the chemistry and personnel improve on this team. We are only half way through Gruden's rookie season as well. :noidea:

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Please. First of all - most coaches are always going to take the blame even if it is not their fault. Last I checked it was up to the QB and not the coach to get more receivers involved. Oh well - whatever - what do you think - maybe time to fire Gruden now?

Get real - you are blasting a coach for winning a game against a top rated team using his 3rd string QB. Did he make mistakes? Sure - but give him time. Do you have any patience whatsoever?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said before McCoy is a veteran Qb not your normal 3rd string QB. He should be held to a higher standard. In that situation GAME Winning drive Gruden is basically asleep at the wheel. Plus the play after the delay call was a pass. Why? You cant risk a sack. You have to run to setup a GW FG. I believe it would of been a 52 yard FG if they gained no yards. Instead Gruden calls a pass play and McCoy gets sacked. Cmon guys its amateur hour. You guys don't see this. No, you don't fire him but I am very disappointed.