• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Los Angeles Lakers 2022 Off-Season Thread

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's start this thread off with an article from LakeShowLife which succinctly outlines 6 trades to move Westbrook. Most of them have been presented by nearly everyone and I really like the last one or number 6. Lakers finally get Jerami Grant and Westbrook is gone. The Indiana trade is probably the one with the most reality to actually getting done. Nothing will probably get done until a coach is hired . Pretty good article and we shall see how this plays out.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course the Westbrook-Hayward trade isn't dead yet either. I guess we really won't know the exact moves until Woj reports it I suppose.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Chris Broussard, so take it with a grain of salt, but he seems to think that as of now, the trade with Indy (which would reportedly be Brogdon and Hield) seems the most likely.

They are in a rebuild, have moved Sabonis and Levert and don't have a young guard (like Ball with Charlotte) that Westbrook would hinder.

To show how crazy this is likely to be, that Fact or Fiction article has the Indy trade as fiction and the Charlotte trade as fact. lol

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Chris Broussard, so take it with a grain of salt, but he seems to think that as of now, the trade with Indy (which would reportedly be Brogdon and Hield) seems the most likely.

They are in a rebuild, have moved Sabonis and Levert and don't have a young guard (like Ball with Charlotte) that Westbrook would hinder.

To show how crazy this is likely to be, that Fact or Fiction article has the Indy trade as fiction and the Charlotte trade as fact. lol

Of the reported options, that Pacers one would be my pick. Now if other trades end up likely (Lebron, AD), that may change.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the reported options, that Pacers one would be my pick. Now if other trades end up likely (Lebron, AD), that may change.

Same.

With the right role players and a healthy AD, they would be contenders. I don't know if they could win it, but they be solidly among the teams that could.

Also, with a little bit younger group, they could handle missing Lebron or AD better than they did this past season. There were several games where they blew big leads and lost because their old timers ran out of gas in the 2nd half.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think their main priority this offseason would be to trade Westbrook.

Next is getting a coach with experience that the players respect.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same.

With the right role players and a healthy AD, they would be contenders. I don't know if they could win it, but they be solidly among the teams that could.

Also, with a little bit younger group, they could handle missing Lebron or AD better than they did this past season. There were several games where they blew big leads and lost because their old timers ran out of gas in the 2nd half.
They blew big leads because the offense tanked but the bigger problem the Lakers have to fix is no one was playing any defense much less zero on the perimeter. They had tuned out Vogel and basically did what they wanted for nearly three quarters of a season.

They need the younger players who will play defense and shoot well enough to release the pressure that AD and James invariably assume. If Westbrook to Indiana gets us Brogden and Hield, than do it like yesterday.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They blew big leads because the offense tanked but the bigger problem the Lakers have to fix is no one was playing any defense much less zero on the perimeter.

They didn't play defense because they couldn't play defense. Teams spread the floor and it's too much to ask players as old as the Lakers have to cover that much space AND still play well on offense.
They had tuned out Vogel and basically did what they wanted for nearly three quarters of a season.

They didn't tune him out, they literally couldn't do what was asked of them. It wasn't about Vogel or his defense. It was about the roster they had. Hell, even Westbrook in his prime wasn't a good defender and he's worse now. In short, they were too old and too injured to be expected to play good defense. Even at their very best, when they were closest to healthy, they were middle of the road defensively.

They need the younger players who will play defense and shoot well enough to release the pressure that AD and James invariably assume. If Westbrook to Indiana gets us Brogden and Hield, than do it like yesterday.

Absolutely. Last year and the bubble year, when they had younger players, they were 1 of the best defensive teams in the league.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been saying most of what you wrote in response to my original posts about being too old and too slow back as early as Thanksgiving. And I believe I was instructed back then not to be worried by you and if it didn't get better by the end of December early January then it was an issue.

It never really improved and only got worse.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes sense. Both AD and James want Nurse to be their HC because he is a Klutch Sports guy. But once again, James the GM can't just magically flip a switch and get a coach who is still under contract for the next two years to pick-up and come be the Lakers HC but both AD and James apparently think so. What are we ? Back to Yellow Brick road and clicking heels and wishing? Geez Louise, these egomanical children live in an alternative world!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks as though Michael Jordon may be willing to play and send the Lakers Gordon Hayward, Kelly Oubre, and Mason Plumlee for expiring contract of Russell Westbrook. Don't know if coach Rambis is even considering this deal but supposedly it is starting to heat up. Maybe!

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RW and a few 1st rounders for Hield and Brogdon.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either one will probably accomplish the goal of moving Westbrook. I know you like Hield even when he was playing for the Kings but the point is the Lakers should stop this craziness of sending Number Ones out the door if they have learned anything about the AD trade.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks as though Michael Jordon may be willing to play and send the Lakers Gordon Hayward, Kelly Oubre, and Mason Plumlee for expiring contract of Russell Westbrook. Don't know if coach Rambis is even considering this deal but supposedly it is starting to heat up. Maybe!

The deal will depend on how much draft capital the lakers need to give up to make the move

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either one will probably accomplish the goal of moving Westbrook. I know you like Hield even when he was playing for the Kings but the point is the Lakers should stop this craziness of sending Number Ones out the door if they have learned anything about the AD trade.
Meh, it's LA.

Hield and Brogdon fit a lot better than RW and the Lakers aren't a small market where rebuilding is the norm.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is a bad trade since Oubre doesn't fit and GH is injury prone.

Now GH and Rozier? Yeah, I'd do that one. Still prefer the Pacers deal.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Q. That and they are waiting on the next HC who supposedly will have input on who comes to the Lakers in the processing of removing Westbrook. My point is, that, like the Rams, this business of giving away draft capital will eventually bite you in the ass because a bigger player, Father Time, is undefeated and has a way of putting a given team into instant rebuild mode.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, it's LA.

Hield and Brogdon fit a lot better than RW and the Lakers aren't a small market where rebuilding is the norm.
The point is DJ, that the goal is to move Westbrook and gain some new talent in return. Hield and Brogden may indeed fit better than Hayward, Oubre, and Plumlee. This is not so much about small versus large markets as it is about a dysfunctional FO and ownership who will probably eff this up and once again pick the wrong players like they did with the DeRozan/Caruso mess that netted the Lakers with Westbrook in the first place.

AS the icon correctly demonstrated many times, you always want to accumulate advantages and giving away future draft picks because you think they are overrated or you are going after short-term gain as in the case of AD, is not a sound practice to accumulate long-term advantages.

Not having draft capital is a causative factor that contributes to the demise of a given franchise and often leads to cap hell as consequences of not maximizing draft capital and going all-in for the present.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a bad trade since Oubre doesn't fit and GH is injury prone.

Now GH and Rozier? Yeah, I'd do that one. Still prefer the Pacers deal.
Yea, it is pretty evident that you have always liked the Pacers trade for Westbrook. lol.