• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The long rant you all knew was coming...

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This was worthy of its own thread IMO. And I will start off saying, it was planned before I drank a few (and you all know how my posts can get when I drink) and also, despite the drinks, I WILL keep to Cmons warnings, since he has givin me multiple write ups, but hasnt fired me yet.. And of corse there will be many typos which is common from me. And so it begins:

Its not very often that a team has the prevlidge of being competitive every year, for the past who knows, at least 5? as the favorite. All while completely depleteing their minor league system of every draft pick and prospect except for goalies. And then, one year, a lock shortened season, has the chance to completely do something that rarely comes along... TANK and rid players, and gather picks, trade players and just miss the playoffs and while doing so, become so much better then anyone would ever expect.

Lets jump now back to 2009-10, the Blackhawk won the Stanley Cup, their toughest series, and Niemis ONLY standout series of that playoffs was vs the Sharks.. But thats not the point. The point is the tradeoff, and while the hawks dismantled and sold EVERY thing except there core off for draft picks and prospects, every person around the league cried "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!" And I just sat back and told my Hawks friends, well, yea I told them in pretty much this voice "Dude shut the fuck up, you have no fucking clue what your bitching about, this HAD to be done... Your fair weather, you dont know shit bout what your bitching bout, your team is gonna be fucking stacked in 3 years... and if you continue to bbitch like you know hockey all the sudden im gonna be really pissed of so please shut the fuck up!"

<--- That above is what the Sharks had the chance to do... It was simple, but then Doug gave the "5games speech" and suddenly the sheep flocked to the heard, they won 5, and the sheep were following again instead of using brains. Here is BRAIN logic. (and yes, clowe fucked this up a litte bit, but not much) Logic: the SHARKS WILL NOT IN THE CUP, Sheep: won 5 in a row, ummm dont trade people were good, we can win... Now here is what the Sharks SHOULD have done, cause they will NEVER get this opportunity AGAIN to replenish the minors, while not going through a complete over haul, and can stay competitive:

1)- Already done, Murray, love him, hes gone, 2 2nd rounds (the pens will win 2 series)
2) Clowe COULD HAVE been traded for a 1st rounder, I dont care what anyone says on this board, he could have. He wasnt cause Wilson didnt wnt to trade him to the West, done belive? Do your research. Instead you get a 2nd, 3rd, 5th - the rangers will NOT win 2 series and Clowe will NOT resign. Clowe fucked this trade, but wilson fucked it more. Any rental player of Clowes calbiber ALWAYS goes for a 1st round pick. ALWAYS, check the stats, AL-fawking-WAYS... Wilson fucked up. As pointed out earlier, look to the Guerin and all the other moves SJ or every trade every push team as made. Rentals go for a 1st rounder.
3) Boyle SHOULD be traded again for a 1st rounder. and his hole should NOT be filled until the offseason via FA. Because it DOES NOT MATTER, SJ will not will the cup with him or without him. And heres were me and Cmon disagree, hs value is MUCH higher now then in the offseason. A team in the push right now missing a top Dman, PP qback, etc will give up move now when they are in the hunt, then in the offseason when they start at ZERO 0. Because that same team may suck asshole at the start of the seasn. Teams SURGE... AKA LOOK --- DUH Anahiem, the ducks are not as good a their record, we all know that, BUT the duck on a tear may be willing to add that payer for that 1st... Will they do it in the offseason?? No way.

If youve read this far, you better keep on reading... With what I had suggsted, which any person with half a brain wouldve done, which any GM named Pitsburgh or Chicago wouldve done, which any "JUST BLEED!!" (aka mindless GO FOR GOLD - WE CAN WIN IT) fans would be against...
There you would now have 3 first round pick, plus the 2 2nd rounders from murray, including if they have one ( havnt checked) SJs own 2nd rounder, which would make 6... 6 picks in the top 60, of the deepest draft in the past, what? 10 years? An when you have them, you can either stockpile (chicago post cup year style) or trade in a clump, 3 first rounders for top pick, 2 first rounders to move up. Either wy it doesnt matter what you do with them, the fact remains, you wouldve completely replenished your farm, while adding players that are ready to go now, and be able to stay completely competitive for the next few years WITHOUT even trading our mutual biggest gripe - Thornton & Marleau. And the young cre wouldve still remained in tack. All that wouldve been sacrificed is one year, one lock shortened year. But No, no logic from the GMs, no logic from the fans, no logic anywhere in site. a 5 game win streak ruined thats and unfortunately we will be in the same bitch feast next season about who we should trade away when it all couldve been handle in one swift, non dismantling glorious fashion...

Look to the Hawks, Pens, even Detroit, etc... Hawks are much better now then they were when the won the cup.
But unfortunately, SJ does not understand logic... And thats why SJ is the Chicago Cubs of hockey...

--End rant.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think we disagree on Boyle's value we're just looking for different things in return for him. If you're looking for picks and prospects then he'll have his most value at the deadline. I'm just of the opinion he should be moved for young players already in the NHL which is more likely to happen in the offseason. A draft day deal similar to the Burns and Staal deals where the can pick up a good young player plus a 1st if not a bit more for him is what I'd like to see.

Last edited by a moderator:

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree. If the sharks deal boyle without getting a studly young Dman in return, then it is a total giveup on this season and would send an irreparable message to the fans.

That said, if they go one-and-done in the PO's again this year after squeaking in like last year, then I would expect dougie to shop him ahead of the draft.

I would love for him to be moved ahead of next year for a 1st rounder and a solid young player. Largely, such a move becomes clearer after the PO's when a highly touted team inevitably disappoints and feels the need to add that one last piece for next year. Boyle would be that kind of go-for-it-one-last-time type of guy.

The UFA dman market next year is pretty thin, too. White, Regehr, streit, gonchar, zidlicky, whitney, leopold, etc are all nothing more than a #3/4 dman on a contender.

This summer, the market for an elite #1 like boyler will be hot as balls. Dougie should be able to get a great return with top teams having litter choice but to look toward the trade market. Multiple 1sts or the equivilent is a possibility...

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree. If the sharks deal boyle without getting a studly young Dman in return, then it is a total giveup on this season and would send an irreparable message to the fans.

Im sure pittsburgh fans were devastatd when the Pens tanked the season to get Lemiuex and Crosby...

haha

The thing is sometimes the fans have to use logic. Do you want a mediocore team for the next few years, or do you want 1 season of missing the playoffs to gain a possibly loaded young team for a lot of years?

Its all good tho, wilson didnt do anything stupid at the deadline thankfully. As Cmon mentioned, Boyle can still be traded in the offseason. Hannan trade wasnt a big deal. It adds an extra body in case of injury and I hope thats what he intends to use him for and not to pull one of the young guys outta the lineup.
The Torres trade im fine with, i wanted him, I think last year or the year bfore. Didnt really want him currently and I think Fls 3rd is kinda high to give up for him, but I guess it is better to have him on your team, then to play against him. And you dont have to worry bout him takin out any of your players in playoffs if he's on your roster... The penalty thing concerns me though

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wanted to add this tidbit. The moves Doug has made so far has rubbed some people the wrong way. My sister-in-law, who is a Sharks fan, but doesn't know jack shit about hockey, was pissed because Clowe and Murray were traded away for picks. "wtf omg why why".

I told her why:
- they are slow as shit and Sharks want to play faster
- they turn the puck over
- they are pending UFAs

And she's like "oh, i guess". I am positive there are more fans like this in SJ. If Doug was to trade Boyle now, it would, like rules said, send an irreparable message to fans.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wanted to add this tidbit. The moves Doug has made so far has rubbed some people the wrong way. My sister-in-law, who is a Sharks fan, but doesn't know jack shit about hockey, was pissed because Clowe and Murray were traded away for picks. "wtf omg why why".

I told her why:
- they are pending UFAs

And she's like "oh, i guess". I am positive there are more fans like this in SJ. If Doug was to trade Boyle now, it would, like rules said, send an irreparable message to fans.

Those fans would be back though if they started doing well... Take Chicagos dismantling of the Cup team... Fans were in such an uproar, and all those same fans that hated every move for picks & prospects are clamouring how the current team is way better then the cup winning team...

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I told her why:

- they are pending UFAs

For a minute there, I thought you were talking about Jumbo Jill.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For a minute there, I thought you were talking about Jumbo Jill.

Thornton isn't slow though. When he plays with players who move their feet and move the puck fast, like Havlat and Burns do, Thornton keeps up and plays a fast game. It's when he's on a line with players who don't move fast off the puck like Pavs or don't consistantly use their speed like Marleau that he plays a slow game.

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thornton isn't slow though. When he plays with players who move their feet and move the puck fast, like Havlat and Burns do, Thornton keeps up and plays a fast game. It's when he's on a line with players who don't move fast off the puck like Pavs or don't consistantly use their speed like Marleau that he plays a slow game.

I agree, but he kinda meanders on the PP too. I know he has open-ice speed, as does Patty.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Im sure pittsburgh fans were devastatd when the Pens tanked the season to get Lemiuex and Crosby...

haha

The thing is sometimes the fans have to use logic. Do you want a mediocore team for the next few years, or do you want 1 season of missing the playoffs to gain a possibly loaded young team for a lot of years?

Its all good tho, wilson didnt do anything stupid at the deadline thankfully. As Cmon mentioned, Boyle can still be traded in the offseason. Hannan trade wasnt a big deal. It adds an extra body in case of injury and I hope thats what he intends to use him for and not to pull one of the young guys outta the lineup.
The Torres trade im fine with, i wanted him, I think last year or the year bfore. Didnt really want him currently and I think Fls 3rd is kinda high to give up for him, but I guess it is better to have him on your team, then to play against him. And you dont have to worry bout him takin out any of your players in playoffs if he's on your roster... The penalty thing concerns me though

If it took only one year, then sure. But when you use chicago and pitt as examples, you have to recognize they didnt suck for one year. They sucked for like 5+ years. Dating back to 1998-2007, they picked in the top 10 a total of 7 times. That's 7 times in just 10 drafts. AND they picked in the top 7 (#7, 2 #3's, and a #1) for 4 straight years from 2004-2007. They didnt rebuild in one year, they did it over a decade.

Pitt, too. First crosby was blind luck of the draw and nothing more. That was a 30 team lottery with equal chance and they won after the lockout year. But they picked in the top 5 overall for 5 straight years from 2002-2006 including 4 of those picks in the top TWO (2 #1's, 2 #2's). In other words, they too had to suck for 5+ years before becoming legit.

I, personally, would rather the sharks not suck for 5+ years. Thats a long time to watch bad, bad hockey. One year? sure. two? OK. 5? no. I would rather they strategically and slowly rebuild by doing much of what dougie did this time or blow it up smartly. What I mean is:

Trade boyle for a nice package this offseason. Then at the deadline next year, deal patty for a sweet package (keep Joe unless they are 100% out of it since as annoying as he is, he keeps the team in it and without him, Im not sure they can compete anywhere near the PO's). They will likely suck for a year after that, but if the package they get is good enough, they should only suck one year or two until all these picks they are stockpiling (hopefully with another 1st+2nd for boyle before the draft, they will have 6 picks in the first two rounds) come to NHL fruition. Then they will have a cooch in his prime and 5 to 10 strong 21 or 22 year olds ready to go.

koblix

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DW will blow up this team after the Sharks bring home a CUP this year....dreaming like most of you ;)