• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally saw American Hustle.

Outside of getting to see a whole lot of Amy Adams, the first half of the movie was a very difficult watch. Basically a bunch of great actors having leverage over each other reading fortune cookies for an hour in various settings. I like the idea of many of the scenes in the beginning as they develop the characters and their complicated relationships to the point where every character is just as about as complex as any person you would know in real life. The scene where Adams and Cooper go clubbing really encapsulates the whole first half of the movie. Its not entertaining in any way but important for relating to the characters and their motives. Adams and Bale are basically the only things pulling you through the movie until the plan comes together and the movie really takes off around when Robert De Niro makes his cameo. Every scene from there on out is perfect and I really like the one with Bale and Lawrence fighting after she reveals the plan to her boyfriend.

I'd probably give it an A- but you have to be in the right mood for it.
Yeah, for all the hype, I just gave it 3/5. I'm not a huge Bradley Cooper guy (he's ok), but I do love Bale and Amy Adams. Jennifer Lawrence felt like one main character too many for me

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, for all the hype, I just gave it 3/5. I'm not a huge Bradley Cooper guy (he's ok), but I do love Bale and Amy Adams. Jennifer Lawrence felt like one main character too many for me
I can see why people wouldn't like it. Its very heavy handed but in a lot of ways the movie reminds me of my twenties. It seems like when you're young and full of piss and vinegar you'll do anything to get ahead. I've met many Bales, Coopers, Adams, and Lawrences over the years.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad Lieutenant: 3.5/5 stars. The first hour had me going "WTF" but the last 30 minutes was purely awesome cinema. Harvey Keitel is a great actor, and this is his best performance, yes, even better than his performance in Pulp Fiction IMO. The way he appeared high, and his crying scene at the end of the movie were truly awesome acting. It doesn't get much better than that from an actor.

I didn't like the first hour because Keitel's character was just basically an irredeemable piece of shit, and I thought he was going to stay that way the rest of the movie. The rest of the film becomes a Catholic/Christian film.
I'll have to check the CNS' (Catholic News Service) rating on the film. They rate every movie on how moral it is. The worst rating is "O," or morally offensive. Here is their classification of that:

"This classification is applied, most importantly, to films that deny the existence of God, ridicule religious faith or are otherwise sacrilegious. Movies that directly contradict scriptural values and church teaching on such matters as euthanasia, abortion, suicide, adultery, homosexual activity or vigilante killing and revenge also fall into this category. So, too, do films that feature excessive violence, gratuitous or exploitative sexuality or, for no artistically valid reason, non-stop vulgarity."

This movie better not get an O

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF

• Bad Lieutenant -- Rancid melodrama about the crackup of a New Nork City police detective (Harvey Keitel) who's over his head in gambling debts, drugs and sex, all of which is compounded by self-pity and a warped sense of moral guilt. Director Abel Ferrara's disjointed exercise in the emotional turbulence of going over the edge lacks credibility and leads nowhere. Excessive violence, graphic sex, substance abuse and rough language. (O) (NC-17) 1992

Leads nowhere? Did you watch the last half hour of the fucking film?????

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw 10 Cloverfield Lane.
Possibly the worst title of all time. That really sticks out as bad when really the title itself needs to be in the spoiler tag. Its pretty intriguing with the right mixture of tense disturbing moments with moments of intrigue. The overall message seems a little silly as the main character gets someone killed from her actions, then dies at the end only to have the screen fade to black as she apparently is immune to car wrecks, then decides that she is a badass and needs to go kick some alien butt.

I think this had movie-of-the-year ballpark potential but instead they dumbed it down. I'd give it a B.

Last edited:

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was never allowed to see Woodstock when it first came out.

But I just bought the BluRay Directors Cut.

Very cool movie. Got up to Alvin Lee and 10 Years After before stopping yesterday. Canned Heat rocked as well and The Who looking all young and pretty....

Still have Jimi, Janis, The Dead, Santana, Johnny Winter to come. I'll do that Friday, football tonight....

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched "The Score" with Robert DeNiro, again.
I love this move.
It may be his best ever.
Ed Norton does a great job and I'm not a big fan of his.

I give it a 9/10

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Continuing OOYM's De Niro trend- Mean Streets: 2.5/5 stars. (This is a 2.5/5 picture with a negative rating, as it is my only rating that can go either positive or negative.) I've been on a kick with older movies lately, and decided to give this acclaimed classic a go. Though it was mostly decent throughout, it really had no very interesting aspects or characters to it. I understand that Keitel's character is supposed to be torn between the Mafia and Catholicism, but with very few references to it or motivation, I didn't really connect with that theme. Also, his girlfriend was completely superfluous. Continuing my trend of immensely enjoying De Niro's early work, I thought he did a very good job as Johnny Boy, a guy who today doctors would probably diagnose with Asperger's and maybe even ADHD. The last scene with him was funny, where he calls his boss a jerk off. Still, the movie left me unsatisfied, with little action, conflict, or drama to it. The ending was particularly bad in my opinion and left me with a hollow feel. It's not the worst way to spend an hour and fifty minutes, especially if you have a subscription to Xfinity's OnDemand and don't have to pay for it like me, but there are also a hell of a lot more better movies than this one.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw Arrival. I'd give it 2 out of 5 stars. I was disappointed and it just fell flat to me.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching a 1965 movie "The Great Race"............

With Tony Curtis,Jack Lemmon and Natalie Wood...........I watched this movie as a kid,seen it was on a month ago and recorded it.Now that I`m bored I decided to watch it.......Jack Lemmon as Professor Fate is hilarious.
It also stars Peter Falk,Keenan Wynn,Vivian Vance of "I Love Lucy" and Larry storch of "F-Troop".
For an older movie its very good..........id rate it a 9.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching a 1965 movie "The Great Race"............

With Tony Curtis,Jack Lemmon and Natalie Wood...........I watched this movie as a kid,seen it was on a month ago and recorded it.Now that I`m bored I decided to watch it.......Jack Lemmon as Professor Fate is hilarious.
It also stars Peter Falk,Keenan Wynn,Vivian Vance of "I Love Lucy" and Larry storch of "F-Troop".
For an older movie its very good..........id rate it a 9.

I loved that movie as a kid... Jack Lemon is great.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SpongeBob Square pants movie. I have kids. It was pretty funny.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthropoid, it's a WW2 movie based on true events of Czech resistance groups that planned to kill Heydrich the butcher of Prague.