• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Lakers Coming Back Is Not Automatic Any More

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a long time - we all believed that the Lakers with their history would bounce back with an acquisition and become relevant, but It's not that simple or automatic any more even though I do believe that they will

1. The first problem is that Jerry Buss is not alive and running the team. It's now up to the children who do not have the intellectual and common sense that their father had. I like Jeannie Buss - but both her and her brother fell way short when they gave Kobe 50 million more for two years. That was money thrown away. I don't think even Kobe was expecting an offer that large. It was ridiculous and it showed that the kids did not have the tenacity and brains their father did. Go back a few years when Dr Buss refused to give Shaq more money because he was a player that was "DECLINING" Instead he jumped ship and rebuild under a proven star that was younger and athletic. I'm not saying Kobe is undeserving to paid, but come on now - that was ridiculous contract

2. These young players do not necessarily see Los Angeles as the place to win championships There are too many new owners with deep pockets and the willingness to pay for them to play. The Clippers and Warriors are two excellent sources. The Thunder not as much because they have already let their chance slipped by being to cheap to keep Harden and Chandler and Green if my memory is correct.

I think it's going to be tougher than this time around and the drought could easil go longer this time. Mabe even longer than the one between Magic Johnson era and the Shaq-Bryant era. I like Byron Scott and I still think he was the best choice for a head coach, but he did not bring the expertise and talent that Phil Jackson brought and it appears that he will need a few years to learn more about being a championship coach. He already wrecked Kobe's health for this year and sent the Lakers to the lottery. That's not a good start

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact, let me elaborate a bit more on that.

While the last few years may have been disappointing, it's only because the team is still recovering from some really bad luck. The Dwight trade was nothing short if genius. Unfortunately we didn't expect him to become such big of a pussy. On the other hand Bynum turned even worse. The Steve Nash at the time was brilliant too and nobody expected him to decline that soon.

We went from a team with 4 stars (if you include Pau) to a team with only one ageing star who has been injured more often than not the last year or so.

So now we're in rebuild mode. That takes time. Pretty soon we'll have cap space again and the stars will come. Include some promising rookies and this team will just be fine.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While the last few years may have been disappointing, it's only because the team is still recovering from some really bad luck. The Dwight trade was nothing short if genius. Unfortunately we didn't expect him to become such big of a pussy. On the other hand Bynum turned even worse. The Steve Nash at the time was brilliant too and nobody expected him to decline that soon.

We went from a team with 4 stars (if you include Pau) to a team with only one ageing star who has been injured more often than not the last year or so.

So now we're in rebuild mode. That takes time. Pretty soon we'll have cap space again and the stars will come. Include some promising rookies and this team will just be fine.

Yup. The quick rebuild fizzled out. Things came so close to transitioning to a CP3/D12/Kobe superteam. How different would the opinion of Jim Buss have been? Crazy how that reneged trade altered the fate of this franchise.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. The quick rebuild fizzled out. Things came so close to transitioning to a CP3/D12/Kobe superteam. How different would the opinion of Jim Buss have been? Crazy how that reneged trade altered the fate of this franchise.

Shit happens. No use moaning about what could have been.

At the end of the day I will stay a Lakers fan till the day I die. And while the last few years have been tough on us, I'm sure the lure of a city like LA will attract the stars again some day.

And I still have hopes of Randle becoming a Blake Griffin type player for us in the future.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the free agency of 2015 will go along way to make or break the rebuild. I've been pretty much against the moves made. another strike out won't make many fans hopeful.

I'm patient. I'm just not for giving jim buss a free pass for the mistakes and "bad luck" that has happened. at end of day sports is a business. theres a fall guy for everything regardless of luck, family etc. IMO he shouldn't be getting a fresh start. of course if he hits big in free agency that changes things for a bit.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't read anything but the title. It was never "automatic" to begin with whether Dr.Buss was running things or not.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see TLF has decided to infest the Lakers board with his "special insights".:L

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't read anything but the title. It was never "automatic" to begin with whether Dr.Buss was running things or not.

Exactly!! The re-build from the Showtime era took almost 10 years. A couple pretty bad seasons, followed by gradual improvement until the 2000 title.

If the Lakers the 3 year plan works, it will still be a faster re-build than that one.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On what planet did you believe that? The guy was having to lay down on the floor when he wasn't playing to prevent back spasm and etc. He was the oldest player in the NBA with zero championships and never played defense in his entire life. For 5 million a year - I would say - yeah - it was a good gamble or two years/24 million, but 3 years/30 million - not even close to being reality. That was a horrible choice. The first thing that came to my mind when they signed that deal was Karl Malon

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On what planet did you believe that? The guy was having to lay down on the floor when he wasn't playing to prevent back spasm and etc. He was the oldest player in the NBA with zero championships and never played defense in his entire life. For 5 million a year - I would say - yeah - it was a good gamble or two years/24 million, but 3 years/30 million - not even close to being reality. That was a horrible choice. The first thing that came to my mind when they signed that deal was Karl Malon

He had been dealing that for a few years and still managed to put together all-star caliber season after all-star caliber season and was coming off yet another one. All indications were that he had it under control.

It was actually the freak leg injury in his first season with the Lakers that started all of this. Trying to come back quickly from that, aggravated the back.

The Lakers were trying to put together another title run or two before Kobe retired and it didn't work out. Pretty much everyone had the Lakers at least in the finals and many had them winning the championship when the trades were made.

You need to quit acting like the FO was supposed to have some crystal ball to foresee that the trade wouldn't work out, quit trying to re-write history and basically just stfu.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had been dealing that for a few years and still managed to put together all-star caliber season after all-star caliber season and was coming off yet another one. All indications were that he had it under control.

It was actually the freak leg injury in his first season with the Lakers that started all of this. Trying to come back quickly from that, aggravated the back.

The Lakers were trying to put together another title run or two before Kobe retired and it didn't work out. Pretty much everyone had the Lakers at least in the finals and many had them winning the championship when the trades were made.

You need to quit acting like the FO was supposed to have some crystal ball to foresee that the trade wouldn't work out, quit trying to re-write history and basically just stfu.

The front office doesn't need a crystal ball to know that aging players at the end of their career are worth LESS MONEY - no more. The rest of the NBA has went to younger and faster players - not older and slower. Bad choice to give Nash that money - more money spent badly on Kobe - but they did that for the fan base. That's understandable even though it was too much.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is trying to re-write history - History already shows that those contracts were a bust. The Lakers should have been trying to get younger and faster players five years ago instead of spending so much time on bargain deals on old players.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The front office doesn't need a crystal ball to know that aging players at the end of their career are worth LESS MONEY - no more. The rest of the NBA has went to younger and faster players - not older and slower. Bad choice to give Nash that money - more money spent badly on Kobe - but they did that for the fan base. That's understandable even though it was too much.

Jesus you're an idiot. You are easily the most ridiculously uninformed poster on these boards. I'm out of patience with you. I'm tired of your idiocy and other Lakers fans having to hear about it and being lumped in with you.

They were trying to make a title run or 2 at the end of Kobe's career and paid what they had to in order to try and make it happen, just as they've always done. They signed Nash to a 3 year deal. It's not like it was some long term deal.

If it had worked and the Lakers had gotten the title runs that everyone predicted, you'd be praising the front office up and down and talking about how brilliant the Lakers FO is instead of using hindsight to look back and act like you knew something no one else did.

So, like I said, stfu.

Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is trying to re-write history - History already shows that those contracts were a bust. The Lakers should have been trying to get younger and faster players five years ago instead of spending so much time on bargain deals on old players.

You're absolutely trying to re-write history. At the time, everyone was talking about how the Lakers FO had done it again and they were back to being title contenders.

Now you want to act like everyone was talking about what bad deals they were at the time they happened. None of the older players were signed to long term deal. Once again, you have no clue as to what you're talking about, so again, stfu.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you just don't understand what I'm saying - in the past the Lakers had the benefit of some of the most talented minds in business and basketball beginning with Dr Jerry Buss, Jerry West and Phil Jackson not to mention the Magic-Kareem team that last over ten years. Kobe has had a dynamite career, but he is aging and he is at the end of his considerably successful career. I doubt that we will see a player like that in our generation and while It's going to piss a lot people off, I don't think Lebron James is even close to being as talented as Kobe. What I am saying is that this Lakers organization is owners who by NBA standards are children. They don't have the intellect and common sense their father Dr Buss had and I think it's going to take a few years for them to figure it out.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you just don't understand what I'm saying - in the past the Lakers had the benefit of some of the most talented minds in business and basketball beginning with Dr Jerry Buss, Jerry West and Phil Jackson not to mention the Magic-Kareem team that last over ten years. Kobe has had a dynamite career, but he is aging and he is at the end of his considerably successful career. I doubt that we will see a player like that in our generation and while It's going to piss a lot people off, I don't think Lebron James is even close to being as talented as Kobe. What I am saying is that this Lakers organization is owners who by NBA standards are children. They don't have the intellect and common sense their father Dr Buss had and I think it's going to take a few years for them to figure it out.

Once again, you're showing how uninformed you are. That same trade that you are now criticizing was made by the current FO. At the time it was made, it was hailed as another stroke of genius by the Lakers FO and would put them right back in title contention.

Now, that it didn't work out that way, you're trying to re-write history and act like everyone said it was a stupid deal and the Lakers should have known better.

And you can stop with the "you don't understand what I'm saying" bullshit. I know exactly what you're saying and am calling you out for your stupidity and for fellow Lakers fans being lumped in with you.

The best thing you can do for yourself right now is just admit that you have no clue what you're talking about, stfu and start following the lead of the Lakers fans on here who have more of a clue than you do. Which, by the way, is pretty much everyone.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, you're showing how uninformed you are. That same trade that you are now criticizing was made by the current FO. At the time it was made, it was hailed as another stroke of genius by the Lakers FO and would put them right back in title contention.

Now, that it didn't work out that way, you're trying to re-write history and act like everyone said it was a stupid deal and the Lakers should have known better.

And you can stop with the "you don't understand what I'm saying" bullshit. I know exactly what you're saying and am calling you out for your stupidity and for fellow Lakers fans being lumped in with you.

The best thing you can do for yourself right now is just admit that you have no clue what you're talking about, stfu and start following the lead of the Lakers fans on here who have more of a clue than you do. Which, by the way, is pretty much everyone.

I never did think the signing of Nash was a stroke of Genius - I was concerned about his body holding up for three seasons and sadly his body didn't even hold up one. Kobe has had his season cut short three seasons straight now - so I can only hope the fourth time is a charm, but father time is undefeated. You believe that the Lakers are going to championship contenders next year - that's fine with me, but I don't find that to be realistic. But I haven't seen who they are going to sign yet either. For the record - I am not a big fan on big signings of old players like Nash - I believe that it's important to be building younger talent each year so that there is continuity in the quality of the Lakers team. If you think that was a stroke of genius - you have the right to your opinion, but I also have the right to mine. Karl Malone was another bust. Boozer has fizzled and Lin was never all that great either. What the Lakers need is a legitimate point guard and a big 7 foot center of quality.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
STFU? hey Trojankid grow up and watch your temper....:stfu: and stop insulting people that disagree with you. How old are you 12?