• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Hockey News: Top 5 worst FA signings 2013-14

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5. Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix

Four years, $22 million

Despite producing at least 51 points in each of his first nine full NHL seasons, Ribeiro has become a journeyman in recent years. So when the 34-year-old joined the Coyotes – the fourth team of his career – on a lucrative, long-term contract, skeptics wondered if he could be a real difference-maker for Phoenix. The skeptics were validated when he posted only 16 goals and 47 points in 80 games this season. Nobody has ever questioned Ribeiro’s talent with the puck, but when you pay someone $5.5 million a season, you expect more than what he provided.

4. Bryan Bickell, Chicago

Four years, $16 million

Bickell was a revelation for the Hawks in the 2013 playoffs when he scored nine goals (including two game-winners) and 17 points in 23 games. Chicago faced a tough decision with the pending UFA last summer. Management made the choice to trade center David Bolland to Toronto to make financial room for Bickell, but the 28-year-old winger didn’t deliver this year (11 goals and 15 points in 59 games). Was GM Stan Bowman fooled by Bickell’s playoff success skating on a line with stars Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane? Sure seems that way.

3. Ryane Clowe, New Jersey

Five years, $24.3 million

As a member of the Sharks, Clowe was renowned for his physical game – but players of that ilk often break down as they enter their 30s. Clowe was 30 when he signed a massive deal with New Jersey – and wouldn’t you know it, he missed 39 games this year and amassed just seven goals and 26 points. Playing on the low-scoring Devils, it seems unlikely he’ll get back to the career-best 24 goals he scored for San Jose in 2010-11. New Jersey has always found ways to employ high-energy, gritty players, but Clowe is earning far too much to play that role.

2. Stephen Weiss, Detroit

Five years, $24.5 million

Weiss was a four-time 20-goal-scorer with the Panthers when he left Florida for Detroit. Unfortunately for him and his new team, the 31-year-old struggled with a groin injury all season and finished the 2013-14 campaign with just two goals and four points in 26 games. Because Weiss was so undependable, Red Wings GM Ken Holland had to make a deal with Nashville for pivot David Legwand at the trade deadline. With four years left on his contract, Weiss is stuck in the Motor City and may face a reduced role if Holland chooses to bring Legwand back.

1. David Clarkson, Toronto

Seven years, $36.8 million

The former Devil and native Torontonian was heralded loudly and proudly by the Leafs when they signed him to the biggest UFA deal of the off-season, but right from the get-go – when the league made him get up and go to the press box by suspending him the first 10 games of the year for leaving the bench in a pre-season brawl – Clarkson looked lost in Blue and White. If Toronto still had an amnesty buyout to use – and if the CBA would allow them to use one (it doesn’t) – the 30-year-old would almost assuredly be looking for another place to play.

Top 5 worst free agent signings from 2013-14 | Post-to-Post

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure Bickel was signed for playoffs and they could give a rats ass about his regular season play

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, most of Clarkson's salary involves his duties protecting water bottles.

TEodyHK.gif

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say I disagree with this list. Weiss is always hurt, Clarkson was way overpaid, will never score 30 again.

Ribiero, i'm indifferent about, he can be a top line Center, but I don't think he has the players on his side to help produce. But definitely overpaid. Bickell signed for his playoff performances, clearly,

Clowe? So glad we let him walk, saved us a draft pick and he's a walking injury bug. Concussed every other week. No thanks.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vinny should be on this list too

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowe was great when he was on the Sharks. Dynamic, physical, good at the shootout, and he could throw in a goal here and there too. But playing that type of game will breakdown the body. Sharks sold at the right time.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowe was great when he was on the Sharks. Dynamic, physical, good at the shootout, and he could throw in a goal here and there too. But playing that type of game will breakdown the body. Sharks sold at the right time.

He's not worth half of the money per year that he got. He can't stay healthy. Good move for the Sharks letting him go. Hell, I liked his small stint here, just not worth what he got.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vinny should be on this list too

I disagree. Wasn't a great signing by any means, but at least he still contributes (20 goals). The guys on this list are overpaid AND they suck. (aside from Bickell who has been good in the playoffs again)

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Wasn't a great signing by any means, but at least he still contributes (20 goals). The guys on this list are overpaid AND they suck. (aside from Bickell who has been good in the playoffs again)

Agreed. Vinny had 20 goals in about 65 games. Not bad production at all.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Plus he got far less money then he would have commanded two years ago on the open market.

Anyone want to take a stab at predicting next years' list?

Vanek
Callahan
Miller

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It wasn't bad production by any means as far as goal scoring but his plus minus was awful and there wasn't anybody else on the team that was as bad +/- as Vinny - it goes to show you how much he struggled defensively - and he looked really slow and had injuries too - might be a sign of things to come

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus he got far less money then he would have commanded two years ago on the open market.

Anyone want to take a stab at predicting next years' list?

Vanek
Callahan
Miller

Certainly Vanek is going to be on that list - I dunno about Cally and I don't think Ryan Miller will get a big enough contract to be on this list

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People seem really down on Miller but I think he still has some really good hockey left in him.

I wouldn't blame Miller for TEH BLUUUEZ collapse.

I don't think they needed to trade for him but that's hardly his fault.

The fact of the matter is that Hitchcock Teams have developed a habit of not performing in the playoffs. His Cup win is a long way in the rearview mirror now.

I think Callahan might be near the top of this list next year (perhaps unfairly so). He's going to get a star's salary with term from someone. He's then going to be expected to put up 65+ points. When he inevitably puts up 40-50, he'll get blasted.

Vanek is a big risk-reward. The team that signs him may get the 40 goal scorer from back in the day but there have been red flags galore for Vanek this year.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People seem really down on Miller but I think he still has some really good hockey left in him.

I wouldn't blame Miller for TEH BLUUUEZ collapse.

I don't think they needed to trade for him but that's hardly his fault.

The fact of the matter is that Hitchcock Teams have developed a habit of not performing in the playoffs. His Cup win is a long way in the rearview mirror now.

I think Callahan might be near the top of this list next year (perhaps unfairly so). He's going to get a star's salary with term from someone. He's then going to be expected to put up 65+ points. When he inevitably puts up 40-50, he'll get blasted.

Vanek is a big risk-reward. The team that signs him may get the 40 goal scorer from back in the day but there have been red flags galore for Vanek this year.

I don't think Ryan Miller was the answer in St. Louis(Halak was pretty good) but he wasn't really the problem either

The reason why he's not going to be as attractive in FA is because plenty of teams already have starters more than anything, and the fact he wants to be closer to his wife makes his options dwindle

I agree about Hitch, they do great in the regular season but can't get it done in the playoffs

Also agree on Cally, I would sign him for big money if I had cap room, just for him to be a leader - 40-50 points for a guy that's a great leader like him, if a team has a lot of cap space and signs him to a deal like that, I would be happy, quite honestly

Well, Vanek might go on a team that fits him better - quite frankly, Montreal wasn't a great fit from the start(I never saw him going to MTL) - he goes somewhere where he's a top six guy and doesn't get shelved to the fourth line, he should be easily a 30 goal scorer - as long as a team doesn't peg him to be THE guy, he should be fine

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Niskanen will be on the list. Not a bad player, but he's gunna get a ridiculous contract that he won't live up to imo.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How much of that was on the PP though?

His possession numbers were dogshit as well I believe

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly Vanek is going to be on that list - I dunno about Cally and I don't think Ryan Miller will get a big enough contract to be on this list

I don't think Vanek will be on it.

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure Bickel was signed for playoffs and they could give a rats ass about his regular season play

that could come back to bite them. If the playoff production dries up, you're left with a guy who's pretty much useless a la johan franzen.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that could come back to bite them. If the playoff production dries up, you're left with a guy who's pretty much useless a la johan franzen.

as a fan I would not care a lick if it got the canucks one or two cups and then was an albatross of a contract for 3 more years. honestly just one is all I want. if that meant 15 years of suck Id take it and I would support them that 15 years. hell Ive done it now for my whole life

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst contracts for next year is an interesting conversation. Callahan and Niskanen are the first that come to mind. I really want to keep Niskanen, and I think he'll continue to be a good player, but he's not a guy suited to be your best defenseman. I think he's best in the second pair, which is fine...but there's a team that's going to pay him top defenseman money, and he's going to disappoint them when put in that spot. I already feel bad for him (except the fact that he's about to be filthy rich). It's predictable. Callahan is another I agree with for obvious reasons. I'd love to have him on my team, but in the cap era, there's just no way in heck you can pay a 50 point guy that money. Someone is going to, that's for certain. I don't think Vanek or Miller are going to get big enough deals personally. Vanek because he was the whipping boy of the postseason, Miller because there's simply not a market. Jokinen is a potential to get overpaid too. He had a career year, and I think it's possible he could replicate it, but not in just any situation. On the right team with the right guys in front of him on the depth chart, he can produce. Those are the only ones I really see being bad though, unless someone hands a contract out to someone way off the map.