• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Giants' minor league system

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know some of you are really high on some players in the minors for the Giants, but from my point of view, the Giants have exactly no one in their minor league system who looks like a can't miss player. There are zero impact players in the system right now.

I bring this up because, according to USA today, Cubs GM Theo Epstein has told other GMs that Jeff Samardjia is off limits, but other than him, the entire roster is available. Included in that proclamation is this nugget: "Shortstop Starlin Castro already is a star at 22 but can be obtained for two impact prospects."

I would move heaven and Earth to obtain Castro. But somehow I just don't think that Epstein considers Gary Brown, Tommy Joseph or Heath Hembree to be those impact players. Honestly, I would offer all three plus Peguero for Castro.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do not have have any OMG, future HOFer prospects right now.

However, we have a shitload of guys who look like they MAY turn into something...

Hembree
Brown
Joseph
Panik
Bochy
Heston
Crick
Jones
Kickham

I do not see see a grand slam HR player in the bunch, however...

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know some of you are really high on some players in the minors for the Giants, but from my point of view, the Giants have exactly no one in their minor league system who looks like a can't miss player. There are zero impact players in the system right now.

I bring this up because, according to USA today, Cubs GM Theo Epstein has told other GMs that Jeff Samardjia is off limits, but other than him, the entire roster is available. Included in that proclamation is this nugget: "Shortstop Starlin Castro already is a star at 22 but can be obtained for two impact prospects."

I would move heaven and Earth to obtain Castro. But somehow I just don't think that Epstein considers Gary Brown, Tommy Joseph or Heath Hembree to be those impact players. Honestly, I would offer all three plus Peguero for Castro.

To quote Mike Krukow, "I wanna get that. I wanna get that. I wanna get that." Yes, sell the farm, or what's left of it for Starlin Castro. There are few other proven, available players that better fit the Giants' needs. I think you're right, though. Even selling the farm wouldn't get it done for a guy that should be All-Star caliber for the next 15 years (and I'm assuming is pretty well cost-controlled for at least the next 2).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do not have have any OMG, future HOFer prospects right now.

However, we have a shitload of guys who look like they MAY turn into something...

Hembree
Brown
Joseph
Panik
Bochy
Heston
Crick
Jones
Kickham

I do not see see a grand slam HR player in the bunch, however...

AB: THAT'S BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T LIST SUSAC. FUCK YOU.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you noticed that AB's love for Susac strangely mirrors that of tzill? Coincidence?

Could it be that maybe AB is another one of tzill's alts?

AB: ALL YOUR FUCKING ALTS ARE BELONG TO TZILL

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, if you're trying for him, you could add Crawford and Belt to the package, couldn't you?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if you're trying for him, you could add Crawford and Belt to the package, couldn't you?

I doubt the Cubbies have even a passing interest in Belt. They have Rizzo in the wings.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt the Cubbies have even a passing interest in Belt. They have Rizzo in the wings.

They have LaHair too. Just sayin', if you're adding a stud like Castro you can part with MLers too. Like Crawford, or Schierholtz, or even Hector Sanchez.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Crawford sucks eggs and Belt plays 1B, a position occupied by Bryan LaHair and held in the future for Anthony Rizzo. Rizzo, btw, is hitting .354/.415/.713 with 30 extra-base hits (17 home runs) and 46 RBI in just 181 ABs.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How DARE you?

I'd do Bum and Crawford and prospects for Castro AND LaHair and a pitcher to replace Bum.

???

I hope you are kidding. (pre-emptive :dunce:)

Dude is having a GREAT year, sure. He even has my vote for NL all-star. But he came out of nowhere and has hardly shown this kind of production in the minors. On top of that? "kid" is 29. Pass.

I would not trade Bum for Castro AND the entirety of the Cubbies farm.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our core is Posey, Sandoval and ideally Belt (and hopefully Melky). Brown, Panik, Joseph, etc are all secondary/complementary type pieces (obviously with a chance to be the main guy). Add that to guys like Blanco, Schierholtz, Crawford, C3PO and you have a deep, balanced lineup. Scouts have been saying that Brown as of now is, at worst, a career 4th OF, Panik is at worst a career utility guy, Joseph is at worst a decent power backup C. Trading these guys would create holes everywhere, especially if we aren't talking acquiring a superstar player in return (Castro is not that guy).

And don't even think about trading any of our pitchers.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
To quote Mike Krukow, "I wanna get that. I wanna get that. I wanna get that." Yes, sell the farm, or what's left of it for Starlin Castro. There are few other proven, available players that better fit the Giants' needs. I think you're right, though. Even selling the farm wouldn't get it done for a guy that should be All-Star caliber for the next 15 years (and I'm assuming is pretty well cost-controlled for at least the next 2).

Dude, Castro is a hardcore tweener. He's added 6-7lbs every year he's been in the league, and its not fat. He made his debut really young, and is still growing, rather big might I add.

Look up his scouting reports, almost every scout worth their salt sees a move to third in his not so distant future. He doesn't have the pop, nor patience one would want from a 3B bat, and his defense is already atrocious at short, imagine how it would further deteriorate the bigger he got. Check out his error #'s, he's led the league the last two years for his position. And it's not cause his range lets him get to more balls, he just does dumb shit like Crawford on a routine basis.

So outside of the nice hit tool, he has bad D, and no patience at the plate what so ever. Not worth the proverbial farm he would cost. Also, Epstien already contacted multiple media outlets to say that report was a load of shit, so the who conversation is a moot point.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, Castro is a hardcore tweener. He's added 6-7lbs every year he's been in the league, and its not fat. He made his debut really young, and is still growing, rather big might I add.

Look up his scouting reports, almost every scout worth their salt sees a move to third in his not so distant future. He doesn't have the pop, nor patience one would want from a 3B bat, and his defense is already atrocious at short, imagine how it would further deteriorate the bigger he got. Check out his error #'s, he's led the league the last two years for his position. And it's not cause his range lets him get to more balls, he just does dumb shit like Crawford on a routine basis.

So outside of the nice hit tool, he has bad D, and no patience at the plate what so ever. Not worth the proverbial farm he would cost. Also, Epstien already contacted multiple media outlets to say that report was a load of shit, so the who conversation is a moot point.

Agreed, I'm not big on Castro as well. He will be a very good player yes, but not worth selling the farm for.

I'd be much more inclined to get a player like Andrus, whom is VERY comparable to Castro. Guys are about 1 and a half years apart, raw, speedy, average-based shortstops. Castro has seen his average rise each year, but as his K rate and his walk rate is sharply declining. Seeing his walk rate shed that quickly (it's at 2.3% from 5.7%!!!!) and his K rate rise (15.7% from 13.4%) scares the shit out of me for a young player. To put it into perspective, he's making Pablo Sandoval look like Barry Bonds out there. Meanwhile, Andrus has seen the opposite. His K rate is steadily decreasing (14.2% to 11.8%) and his BB rate is increasing (8.4% to 10.5%) with his batting average. Plus, Andrus is the much more polished defender than Castro (Andrus learned from his idol, Omar Vizquel).

Andrus won't cost as much as Castro (though still a very big package), but I think Andrus would better fit this club. The Rangers won't be looking to trade Andrus anytime soon, but they have top prospect Profar coming soon and Andrus could be made available. But again, relating to my last post, I still don't think I'd give up THAT much.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Second Base.