• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The draft, need and talent line up finally!

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Punter debate

I was not a fan of taking a punter with that pick...seems like the youtube sensation could probably be a heck of a punter. As far as Martin and the Allen guy there is something the average yards per punt stat doesn't address...HANGTIME. Now I have a life so I'm not going to take the time to research this but if Martin can really boom them high and prevent returns then he may be the better guy. Also accuracy could be an issue.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long story short is that I took issue with the way thndr said what he had to say, and you got all bent out of shape about it.

This was my response to your posts to Rolling -- show me where I got bent out of shape?

Come on TP. The guy gives his opinion and you jump all over and put him down. It isn't as if he is the only person questioning the Lions draft pick in the 5th round. I laughed when I saw the pick. I could understand if they took Ryan Allen from La Tech, as Locke from UCLA was gone -- the guy averaged 48 yards a kick, was a unanimous 1st team all-american and was named the top punter in the NCAA in back to back years.

Martin averaged 40 yards a punt his 1st two years -- wasn't until last year his numbers went up and still weren't in the same ballpark as Ryan Allen. Why not draft the guy named the best punter in the NCAA the last two years and led the NCAA at 48.0 per punt?

And I would guess -- the reason he said no one would have drafted him is -- after Martin -- No punter was drafted. Locke and Martin were the only 2 guys drafted.

With an open spot at Punter -- i'm guessing Detroit would have had a chance to pick from any of the FA punters. That is just a guess though, but it seems that is what these rookies would be looking for -- a chance to come in and make a team immediately.

Spending a 5th rounder on a punter -- it had better be a guy who is going to step in and win the starting job. Not to knock Martin, but outside of one year, he averaged 40.0, 39.7, and 40.8. Is that consistent enough to spend a 5th round pick on?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(1) If a punter has been a 40 yard per punt guy all his career, then suddenly starts averaging 45, wouldn't you say something has changed? Or do you think this was an abberation?
I have no clue what changed. Maybe he turned a corner, maybe he finally figured out how to be successful as a punter. But the reason I questioned the pick is -- For 3 years, he was a very average punter and after one successful season -- Detroit spends a 5th round pick on him. It isn't as if he was the cream of the crop sitting on the board. Ryan Allen had 20 punts inside the 20 and 21 punts of 50 or more yards last year and averaged 48.0 yards per punt and 52 yards per punt in the Senior Bowl.

To tell you how few punters get drafted -- Allen was a unanimous all-american selection and 2 time Ray Guy Award winner as the best punter in the NCAA. He was signed as an UFA by New England.

Quote:
(2) Just like there is more to playing DE than how many sacks one gets, there is more to punting than average yards per punt. Ever hear of hang time? Directional punting?
Of course. La Tech led the NCAA in net punting, so I'm guessing Ryan Allen had some hang time on his punts. As far as directional punting -- None of us have any idea how either are at this or any punter really, until you see them on the field.

All I am saying is -- The Lions spent a 5th round pick on a punter, who even by his own admission, was suprised to be drafted. It isn't as if they took him in the 7th round. They spent a 5th round pick on him, after trading away a pick at the top of the 5th to move down in the round.

I agree wholeheartedly that the Lions needed to improve at the punter position, but I question the guy who was picked. It is like the Lions front office tries to get too cute with some of their picks. If you are on the board to draft a punter -- are you going to take a 2 time Ray Guy award winner, who led the nation in yards per punt and net punting or do you take the guy who averaged 40 yards a punt for 3 years and jumped to 45.5 or whatever it is for one year?

This is responding to truthfog's questions, yet here is your response:

Wow, apparently you really do think you know more than the professionals that do it for a living.

Talk about cocky...

This is what cracks me up about how you want to point fingers at people, when you are the one who starts in with the wise cracks and put downs.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone thought this was a threat im sorry. Back home before the games started we always called it pregame arguing. Since sundays were pretty much the only day alot of us could get together we would grill, drink, smoke, and argue sports. I figured with so many different opinions it would be fun to see people argue other sports issues as well. Anyone that thought i was calling out someone to meet up and fight at the lion game, im sorry you got that out of my post. I doubt 2 guys who argued on the internet ever met up for a one on one fight in the history of the net.....but oh well

I'd be game for that, but from the initial post it definitely sounded like you wanted to rumble.

I'm not opposed to a good old fashioned throw down when necessary, but I won't miss a Lions game because of it, lol.

But otherwise what you're describing sounds like our typical tailgaiting before the game...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personal opinion but I think Harbaugh would of kicked Schwartz azz

Woah,..... woah,..... woah, out of respect for this thread, I'd appreciate if you immediately change your personal opinion to something completely different.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt 2 guys who argued on the internet ever met up for a one on one fight in the history of the net.....but oh well

Swarm (RobBase) and I almost did, lol. If we didn't live 400 miles apart I think it may have happened. Glad it didn't because he's roughly twice my size (and I'm not exactly little), so that likely wouldn't have ended well for me.

Judging by that pic u put up you're slightly larger yet, so that wouldn't end well either. Let's just stick with the e-fights and keep the 5-0 out of it, :lol:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at it the way you want....yeah i may say bitch or punk or type "u" instead of you.....i was just referring to the use of genital parts or the use of something a 12 yr old would say like "boobies".....never thought about a bag of dicks before.....might of used douchbag bag in jr high.....dont think i ever used the "butt hurt" actually never heard of that till injun fan shane on the al smack talk board used "butthurt" last week, and caught alot of flack for it.....sorry my vocabulary might not match others on here...just stating i wouldnt had chose those statements. Sorry if your offended...resume talking about dicks, douches, and hurting butts.

Lol, just different styles of how we talk is all. From my point you use words that I wouldn't too, so I get where you're coming from.

I actually picked up "butt hurt" from high school kids. It's amazing the words you learn through osmosis when you listen to kids all day every day. Although they're huge on using abbreviations "LOL, SMD, FMH, OMG" in place of real words in conversation, which I cannot stand! Basically they speak like we type...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...sorry my vocabulary might not match others on here...just stating i wouldnt had chose those statements.
No reason to be sorry, but to be fair you brought that one up. I wouldn't have attacked your vocab otherwise, I understand that different geographical regions have unique vernacular(s), and in that regard we live in two very different places. The U.P. is very... how can I put this without sounding offensive? The U.P. is very white, so I'm surrounded by stuffy old conservatives (Dr. Evil-er you'd love it up here! lol). I teach their kids, and, like I said, can't help but pick up on some of their more frequent slang.

I'm sure it's the same thing for you, you're just surrounded by a different group of people, so your language adapts as necessary. Someone from Atlanta or El Paso would probably think we both talk funny. People from Amarillo sure sound funny to me, I can tell you that much... :nod:

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leshoure debate

He was picked because he was big and pretty fast(for a big guy). 4.59 40 time...is fast for a 230 pound guy but it aint that fast. Factor in the devastating injury and his time is probably in the 4.7 range. How many NFL backs are in that range? Now factor in the Raiola and Peterman (and Backus who wasnt exactly a good run blocker either) upfront, having those scrubs blocking doesnt exactly scream success for a downhill inside runner now does it?

Now I know that Leshoure lacked explosion last year...but what I'm saying is that I think he should now be fully recovered and able to add strength in the offseason and hopefully some speed bringing him closer to 4.6. Combine that with the fact that most backs take a few years to develop their game, add that with an improved(???) run blocking game. Wait ok I don't see a heck of a lot of improvement coming in that regard this year so forget that. So anyway, if he does come back faster, that with his experience should add up to an improvement on his 3.7 YPC. If he can improve that average up at least .2 this year, and then as the line improves another .2 the following year he would be at 4.1 Arian Foster averaged 4.1 last year. I loved Leshoure when we drafted him but the fact is the injury killed him. He had a pretty decent "rookie season". He missed the first 2 games so he played in only 14. Rushed for 798 and caught a very decent 34 for 214 making him a 1000 yard back in 14 games. Compare him to Trent Richardson who average 3.6 YPC. He rushed for 950 yards and caught 51 for 367 behind a line that featured Alex Mack and Joe Thomas. Very comparable seasons.

Point is all you Leshoure haters don't be surprised if you see a different back this year...you can scream out that you knew it all along its OK.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judging by that pic u put up you're slightly larger yet, so that wouldn't end well either

Geesh TP, don't be such a wuss. Those big guys fall hard. Come on down to Florida I will teach you some jiu-jitsu defensive tactics. Eyes, nose, throat, knees, balls,...not necessarily in that order.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, just different styles of how we talk is all. From my point you use words that I wouldn't too, so I get where you're coming from.

I actually picked up "butt hurt" from high school kids. It's amazing the words you learn through osmosis when you listen to kids all day every day. Although they're huge on using abbreviations "LOL, SMD, FMH, OMG" in place of real words in conversation, which I cannot stand! Basically they speak like we type...

I can testify to this in a court of law as being 100% factual.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well good.....seems like we can all just take a step back n relax now lol.

Vader

Not Quite Evil Enough
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i think vader called me an idiot or moron.....even tho im a huge star wars fan.

Hold on a second, what I said was...............

If I read that wrong then I'm sorry for this post. But if I read it correctly you're a damn moron.

You clarified that you did not mean it that way so I did read it wrong and apologized in advance. I do not wish to be butt hurt, a douchnozzle, or have a bag of dicks thrown at me, or whatever other bizarre genitalia based name has been thrown around on this thread. I am eternally optimistic this POS is over with. :puke:

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hold on a second, what I said was...............

You clarified that you did not mean it that way so I did read it wrong and apologized in advance. I do not wish to be butt hurt, a douchnozzle, or have a bag of dicks thrown at me, or whatever other bizarre genitalia based name has been thrown around on this thread. I am eternally optimistic this POS is over with. :puke:

Sorry for mis quoting you vader......yeah lets hope its over. Besides i dont want a sith to be mad at me......i may not be alot of things but i am a star wars nerd lol. My poor kids even got named from the books. Jaina and jacen.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you game much Cleaves? The Knights of the Old Republic games on the xbox were the shit! I bought an xbox back in the day just to play those games.

For the 360/PS3 the Force Unleashed series is pretty sweet too...

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved the KOTR games. The MMO sucked though. Forced Unleashed I didn't like, but that's because I played it on Wii which turned out to be a terrible port of the 360/PS version.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was picked because he was big and pretty fast(for a big guy). 4.59 40 time...is fast for a 230 pound guy but it aint that fast. Factor in the devastating injury and his time is probably in the 4.7 range. How many NFL backs are in that range? Now factor in the Raiola and Peterman (and Backus who wasnt exactly a good run blocker either) upfront, having those scrubs blocking doesnt exactly scream success for a downhill inside runner now does it?

Now I know that Leshoure lacked explosion last year...but what I'm saying is that I think he should now be fully recovered and able to add strength in the offseason and hopefully some speed bringing him closer to 4.6. Combine that with the fact that most backs take a few years to develop their game, add that with an improved(???) run blocking game. Wait ok I don't see a heck of a lot of improvement coming in that regard this year so forget that. So anyway, if he does come back faster, that with his experience should add up to an improvement on his 3.7 YPC. If he can improve that average up at least .2 this year, and then as the line improves another .2 the following year he would be at 4.1 Arian Foster averaged 4.1 last year. I loved Leshoure when we drafted him but the fact is the injury killed him. He had a pretty decent "rookie season". He missed the first 2 games so he played in only 14. Rushed for 798 and caught a very decent 34 for 214 making him a 1000 yard back in 14 games. Compare him to Trent Richardson who average 3.6 YPC. He rushed for 950 yards and caught 51 for 367 behind a line that featured Alex Mack and Joe Thomas. Very comparable seasons.

Point is all you Leshoure haters don't be surprised if you see a different back this year...you can scream out that you knew it all along its OK.

Coach Ed...
I would LOVE to see Leshoure show better explosion and rip off bigger runs. Just cause he scores nine td's and like 6 of them are plunges from the 1 yard line doesn't impress me. I don't think he will get to show us much unless Bush goes down with an injury. He will probably be stuck to goal line work.

I believe if he regains more explosion then he deserves to be the top backup. If not, J.Bell showed A LOT better last season and should fill that role.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woah,..... woah,..... woah, out of respect for this thread, I'd appreciate if you immediately change your personal opinion to something completely different.

Sorry bro,

Schwartz went up to Harbaugh like he was gonna be somebody, then looked around hoping someone would break it up right away. "Turning his face away", probably afraid he was gonna get his nose broke,lol. Then I got super stoned for next seasons game so I was paying attention to the subtleties in the pre draft handshake. Schwartz was straight up skeeered.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you game much Cleaves? The Knights of the Old Republic games on the xbox were the shit! I bought an xbox back in the day just to play those games.

For the 360/PS3 the Force Unleashed series is pretty sweet too...

Is anyone going to buy and play Call of Duty 3 on PS3 when it comes out?