• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: WVU 86 OU 65

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WV improves its season record tonight to 15-2 and 3-1 in the Big 12 Conference with a convincing 86-65 trouncing of the Sooners in Morgantown. Once again, an absolutely relentless WV defense smothered the Sooners into committing 22 turnovers allowing the Mountaineers to get an extra 18 shots in the game. WV shoots better on this evening at a 44% clip while the legs went out of the Sooners in the second half as they shoot it at 42% for the game.

If you would have told me that Jawan Staten would shoot 1-9 from the field and only score 4 points for the game, I would have laid money that WV would lose. Not the case at all due to the WV bench who scored 55 points tonight. That was the difference in my opinion as EVERYONE contributed in the win. Macon comes off the bench and scores 9 points in 9 minutes and Adrian comes off the bench and scores 11 in 21 minutes. That is just what WV does with a rotation of guys that just wears down the opponent.

WV was led in scoring by another bench player, Javon Carter, who pumped in 18 points and played by far his best game of the year. In one sequence, he hit a 3, then immediately stole the ball and hit another 3. BOOM! Lights out for the Sooners after that flurry. The arms of the Sooner players went by their sides and told the crowd everything they needed to know at that point--Oklahoma was toast and ready to quit. Devon Williams played another solid game logging another double double with 14 points and 11 boards. This kid is quietly getting better and better as I would look for him on an all conference team before the end of the year. WV out rebounds the Sooners 42-35 while collecting a season high 16 steals.

So were you impressed by tonight's win? You should be. WV smoked the #18 team in country by 21 points. I thought the defense was spotty in the 1st half as we gave up too many easy buckets under the hoop. The 2nd half the defense was as good as it gets as the OU Coach didn't have the bench to sub in fresh players. The starting 5 for OU played 28 or more minutes for OU tonight. You are not going to beat this WV pressure defense by wearing down your starters with those kind of minutes. The legs get woozy and it hurts you on both ends of the floor. Now it is time for a Texas 2 step as the Mountaineers have a huge task awaiting them in Austin--stay tuned and clear your schedule as that too should be a great contest. Have a great day Mountaineer fans wherever your Country Road has taken you!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another must not have watched tonight's game.

The pressure was definitely more intense tonight. Had OU not knocked down as many 3's as they did in the first half… it would have been even uglier than the final 21 point spread.

Had a blast watching this one tonight. Hope they bring the same intensity against Texas on the road.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WV improves its season record tonight to 15-2 and 3-1 in the Big 12 Conference with a convincing 86-65 trouncing of the Sooners in Morgantown. Once again, an absolutely relentless WV defense smothered the Sooners into committing 22 turnovers allowing the Mountaineers to get an extra 18 shots in the game. WV shoots better on this evening at a 44% clip while the legs went out of the Sooners in the second half as they shoot it at 42% for the game.

If you would have told me that Jawan Staten would shoot 1-9 from the field and only score 4 points for the game, I would have laid money that WV would lose. Not the case at all due to the WV bench who scored 55 points tonight. That was the difference in my opinion as EVERYONE contributed in the win. Macon comes off the bench and scores 9 points in 9 minutes and Adrian comes off the bench and scores 11 in 21 minutes. That is just what WV does with a rotation of guys that just wears down the opponent.

WV was led in scoring by another bench player, Javon Carter, who pumped in 18 points and played by far his best game of the year. In one sequence, he hit a 3, then immediately stole the ball and hit another 3. BOOM! Lights out for the Sooners after that flurry. The arms of the Sooner players went by their sides and told the crowd everything they needed to know at that point--Oklahoma was toast and ready to quit. Devon Williams played another solid game logging another double double with 14 points and 11 boards. This kid is quietly getting better and better as I would look for him on an all conference team before the end of the year. WV out rebounds the Sooners 42-35 while collecting a season high 16 steals.

So were you impressed by tonight's win? You should be. WV smoked the #18 team in country by 21 points. I thought the defense was spotty in the 1st half as we gave up too many easy buckets under the hoop. The 2nd half the defense was as good as it gets as the OU Coach didn't have the bench to sub in fresh players. The starting 5 for OU played 28 or more minutes for OU tonight. You are not going to beat this WV pressure defense by wearing down your starters with those kind of minutes. The legs get woozy and it hurts you on both ends of the floor. Now it is time for a Texas 2 step as the Mountaineers have a huge task awaiting them in Austin--stay tuned and clear your schedule as that too should be a great contest. Have a great day Mountaineer fans wherever your Country Road has taken you!

I loved watching the game last night, it was Huggyball all the way, great defense, steals, turnovers, second chance shots, awesome. Midway through the first half, OU started beating our press, and closed in with Staten having a cold hand and forcing shots, but then WVU got even more relentless with the pressure, this team isn't going to lose a lot of games this year, Impressive win for the Mounties!!!!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been down on this team because I do not feel they are a very good offensive team.....last night they played one hell of a game. A lot of energy and the bench came alive.

My concern still exist about not having enough offense...last night these teams shot around the same percentage, WVU just took 18 or so more shots. Teams that have ball handlers are going to keep giving us fits if they keep it close....

Texas is going to be a good test again, they have some good ball handlers and lets see if we can keep the pressure up on them.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been down on this team because I do not feel they are a very good offensive team.....last night they played one hell of a game. A lot of energy and the bench came alive.

My concern still exist about not having enough offense...last night these teams shot around the same percentage, WVU just took 18 or so more shots. Teams that have ball handlers are going to keep giving us fits if they keep it close....

Texas is going to be a good test again, they have some good ball handlers and lets see if we can keep the pressure up on them.

I agree, the weak link on this team is horrible shooting, I hope that their shooting improves as the year goes on, you cant totally hang your hat on getting that many more shots than the opponent. HOWEVER, I LOVE the defense this team plays!!!

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If only the bench was close to this effective most nights. WV would be undefeated.
FG and FT % above season averages. Forced TO most for OU all season.
Points allowed - most for OU all season. They were certainly out played by
an angry WV team. Impressive win, but now they travel to Texas.

Will they win 2 of 3 against ranked opponents or go 1-2?
Answer is simple - play like they did on Saturday (cold shooting) and they lose.
Play like they did last night (on fire) and they win.

Lose and WV goes into a 5 way tie for 2 thru 6th place in the conference.
Win and they sit alone with 1 loss and waiting to challenge for the conference title.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
15-2 is 15-2...can't argue that.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another must not have watched tonight's game.

The pressure was definitely more intense tonight. Had OU not knocked down as many 3's as they did in the first half… it would have been even uglier than the final 21 point spread.

Had a blast watching this one tonight. Hope they bring the same intensity against Texas on the road.

I watched this game from midway through the first half, watched a double digit game turn into a 3 point game, but stuck with it. My mountaineer jinx was broken in the second half.

This is not a great team. WE have bad shooters, do not have superior athletes. A look at the talent on our roster says we should not be a ranked team...But we are. I am very impressed with Huggins and his full court press this year. Teams are not prepared for it. Since we can't shoot, it really helps to have 20 more attempts per game.

Overall impressive win against a ranked team.

Where is Slaton calling for Huggins head?

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I heard Huggy say the other day in an article I was reading (paraphrasing).... "Do what you do well and don't try to do what you can't do".

This team can press and play intense, pressure D. So that is what he has them do.
They don't shoot well, so he has them shoot more. They get those extra shots by
forcing TOs and out rebounding - this they seem to do well.

They are not a great team - but they do make the most of what they have.
I will predict now that this team will lose 5 or 6 games and will go 2 deep at least into the tourney.
I reserve the right to adjust my prediction as soon as they prove me wrong.... :nod:

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still expect us to lose some in a very, very, very strong Big 12. But regardless, this WVU team is head and shoulders better than last season, and has earned my respect. WVU HAS TO BE the MOST IMPOVED team in the country. two losses by three points against quality opponents...gotta like it!

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like this team. I have said from day 1, that this team can be special. Even after taking my Homer glasses off, I think they can be special. But in the end, to be special, you have to beat Texas and Kansas in the same season. The outcome of these games will go a long way to defining this team.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference between this season and last season?? This seasons roster believes in Huggy's strategy and they execute HIS plan. They don't do what THEY think will win and say the hell with him! Everyone is on the same page as far as what they are supposed to do, and they execute as a TEAM! Amazing what a difference listening to your leader can make.... :suds:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey… the offense is going to be a legit concern going forward. IMO, they are a streaky shooting team… some nights will be better than others. I don't think the fact they shoot 50% against TT means they will shoot 50% against all of their opponents. I don't think the fact they shot 32% against ISU means they'll shoot 32% against the rest of their opponents.

Earlier in the year, I made the comparison of this year's team to the Final Four team. I'm not saying this team is capable of making it to the FF, it has more to do with how they'll win games. The 2010 team was a poor shooting team. Most of their offense was due to 2nd and 3rd chance points off of offensive boards. They were a good offensive rebounding team.

This year's team is a good offensive rebounding team.

The FF team played great defense. They played a switching man-to-man that usually resulted in opponents struggling to score. This year's team is playing a full court press and half court trap. By creating chaos, it is leading to steals and TO's at a record breaking pace. Their defense is resulting in less offensive possessions for our opponents, and this leads to scoring problems.

The result of WVU's motion offense and defensive pressure creates mental and physical fatigue. Both teams have accomplished this.

The TO's and extra possessions have allowed WVU to compensate for their poor shooting. Why they can shoot 32% and lose by 2. The FF team was better inside scoring off missed shots than this team has been. It was how they could compensate for poor shooting.

IMO, if this year's team can start making more of the layups and put backs, they could win more easily. And, I don't think it is far fetched to think they could do so…