• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Cozens dilemma

QuestionSocratic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although this likely applies to many players, I'll use Dylan Cozens as the subject of this thread.

Cozens finishes the World Juniors tonight and if the Sabres decide to bring him to Buffalo, he would have to quarantine for 14 days before practicing or playing. That would mean, he'd mot be unavailable until January 20, when the season is already a week old. Then if the Sabres later decided to return him to Leftbridge to finish his junior career, he'd spend another 14 days in Canadian quarantine. He could lose a full month sitting in quarantine.

So the Sabres, and any other clubs with similar situations, have unusual decisions to make.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't read the OP, but I don't see the dilemma. If you want to sleep with your cozens, go for it, man!

Reactions: gob

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Although this likely applies to many players, I'll use Dylan Cozens as the subject of this thread.

Cozens finishes the World Juniors tonight and if the Sabres decide to bring him to Buffalo, he would have to quarantine for 14 days before practicing or playing. That would mean, he'd mot be unavailable until January 20, when the season is already a week old. Then if the Sabres later decided to return him to Leftbridge to finish his junior career, he'd spend another 14 days in Canadian quarantine. He could lose a full month sitting in quarantine.

So the Sabres, and any other clubs with similar situations, have unusual decisions to make.
yeah there were some issues with players going to the tourney from the QMJHL, with the timing of everyone's quarantines, they didn't get any games in at all.

also to consider for any NHL trades that are between US and Canadian teams. Players may need to quarantine before joining new team

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, the typical "Give them 7 games and send 'em back" thing that young players usually get isn't going to happen this year. Team will have to be absolutely sure the player is going to stick with the big club if they call them there. No point in sending them to the AHL because that burns a year of pro contract.

Fortunately, the players can work out (alone) while in quarantine, they just can't join the team so they aren't losing a full month.

Glad my team doesn't have to deal with it. We got enough to worry about.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if there is even going to be a WHL season this year, so it could make the decision to send Cozens back to junior moot.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NHL-CHL agreement has been amended to allow U20 CHL players who have been drafted to play in the AHL. Anything regarding quarantining when a player moves between AHL and NHL clubs would depend on the AHL team's location and local quarantine rules; the NHL has said there won't be any special measures beyond those they're already implementing.

Re: WJC players, players had the option to opt out of the tournament or the teams could of course withhold. Lafreniere was withheld by NYR, Robertson pulled out so he could have the full camp with the Leafs. Not sure of any other scenarios but everybody was well aware beforehand of the implications.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some AHL teams have already announced they're sitting out the season, so now idea what happens with call ups there either.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some AHL teams have already announced they're sitting out the season, so now idea what happens with call ups there either.
The parent teams found other squads I think. I know STL is splitting Utica with Vancouver (unless Vancouver ends up using a team north of the border temporarily).

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
The parent teams found other squads I think. I know STL is splitting Utica with Vancouver (unless Vancouver ends up using a team north of the border temporarily).
wondering about that myself.
the taxi squad gives some buffer, but they are going to need to plan for contingencies if that runs short
(hopefully not, but with compressed schedules will we see more wear and tear injuries?)

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida is in the same position. Not sure what, if any, agreement they've come up with yet.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the taxi squad gives some buffer, but they are going to need to plan for contingencies if that runs short
(hopefully not, but with compressed schedules will we see more wear and tear injuries?)
It seems like the easiest solution. We have 4 teams here, I'm sure they can work it out.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure it's too late for the NHL and the PA to come up with some type of agreement for this year only to allow teams to keep more guys on the active roster so they can practice but then scratch them on gamedays.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I'm sure it's too late for the NHL and the PA to come up with some type of agreement for this year only to allow teams to keep more guys on the active roster so they can practice but then scratch them on gamedays.
they already have,
taxi squad is a few extra guys with the big club, at AHL cap hit
(four to six extra guys)

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Where is the 14 day quarantine if he goes to buffalo thing coming from? The nhl got cdn provinces to give them exemptions down to 7 days. States/the us fed govt dont have any quarantine rules do they?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Upon arriving in Buffalo, Cozens then must serve a mandatory seven-day quarantine, his agent Allain Roy confirmed to The Buffalo News.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like there will be no policy stated by the NHL for call-ups.

What I find interesting is the number of players that really had no chance of being called up staying in Europe. Also, curious for the players overseas right now if they will run into any Visa issues trying to come back to the US? Penguins are running into that with Kapanen.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if a player gets hurt and replaced by someone on a taxi squad, someone will be called up from the ahl to the taxi squad immediately and do their 7 day quarantine :noidea:

Theres no cap implications to moving players from the ahl to the taxi squad. unless a team gets hammered and loses a third of their roster in 7 days they should be ok

QuestionSocratic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is the 14 day quarantine if he goes to buffalo thing coming from? The nhl got cdn provinces to give them exemptions down to 7 days. States/the us fed govt dont have any quarantine rules do they?
Yes, New York has a 14 day quarantine when coming from another country.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
States complicate it with their own rules. Ohio has instituted travel restriction from certain states with higher positivity rates. They expect a 14 day quarantine.