• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Cardinals have to have one of the smartest front offices in baseball

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Letting Pujols walk after winning a World Series? The Phillies front office would not have the balls to let a public figure like Pujols to walk, especially after winning a World Series. They constantly are bringing up good young players coming up through their system, like Carpenter, Adams, Freese, Craig, etc. They have a great bullpen- and none of them are inked to big contracts. The Phillies need to emulate what the Cardinals have been doing the last 10 years to become relevant again.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to come in and pound my own team's chest, but I happened across this thread. Shelby Miller(1), Joe Kelly(3), Matt Carpenter(13), Trevor Rosenthal(21), and Matt Adams(23) were all selected in the 2009 Draft. Bill DeWitt Jr (Cardinals Owner) has been really big on not using the model than Walt Jockety used to build the '04-'06 teams that had so much success because they traded the future for now. DeWitt and Mo have both talked a lot about never wanting to win now at the expense of 3-5 years from now.

I think patience and player evaluation have been the keys to rebuilding the organization.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to come in and pound my own team's chest, but I happened across this thread. Shelby Miller(1), Joe Kelly(3), Matt Carpenter(13), Trevor Rosenthal(21), and Matt Adams(23) were all selected in the 2009 Draft. Bill DeWitt Jr (Cardinals Owner) has been really big on not using the model than Walt Jockety used to build the '04-'06 teams that had so much success because they traded the future for now. DeWitt and Mo have both talked a lot about never wanting to win now at the expense of 3-5 years from now.

I think patience and player evaluation have been the keys to rebuilding the organization.

I agree. While I fucking hate your team and all of their players, I admire your approach to both free agents and prospects in the minors. It has made you one of the best teams in baseball over the last three years.

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Respect! They don't go away, they just reload. Even in a off year they are still in the mix most of the time.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the reasons that the Cards are successful, they don't have Reuben Amaro. Amaro would have destroyed that team He would have reduced all that young talent to part time rolls, or would have traded them away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds like you just came here to pound your team's chest to me.............

Seriously, the Cardinals team has definitely done a better job of blending talent than the Phillies. I am annoyed by a lot of Cardinal fans though because they say stupid stuff like "the Cardinals are winning with 100 million dollar payroll and the Phillies can't win with 170 million! They should be winning way more games than the Cards." That logic is just plain wrong and those fans don't know what they are talking about.

On the other hand, I agree with your assessment. St. Louis does well because they focus on planning for the future while keeping a competitive team every year by mixing guys from the farm system with the right free agents. The Phillies on the other hand, finally have some success after a long drought and decide their best course of action is to lock up almost everyone with long term contracts and trade away prospects at the deadline every year in search of the perfect addition to their team that will "put them over the top". Obviously, you can see what the long term results of that strategy seem to be so far.