• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 5 Worst Coaches in CFB

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool Mack! The 3 year plan.

If Bob Stoops said, We got this 3 year plan, his ass would be walking.

Texas should be "making a run at the BCS" every year. Do you disagree?

Should and reality are two different things. The oLine has been weak since 2006 or so. Injuries in preseason 2010 and overrated recruits exposed a weakness than was protected by a 3* QB, Colt.

AFA, longevity by some of Mack's assistants, like Davis and Reese, we Longhorns have been calling for them to be fired for years. I prefer quality assistants coming and going than entrenched scrubs.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should and reality are two different things. The oLine has been weak since 2006 or so. Injuries in preseason 2010 and overrated recruits exposed a weakness than was protected by a 3* QB, Colt.

AFA, longevity by some of Mack's assistants, like Davis and Reese, we Longhorns have been calling for them to be fired for years. I prefer quality assistants coming and going than entrenched scrubs.
-

There is a simple reason why people call for Mack's head. He is a CEO. HE does the little things coaches hate. He is a great salesman. These are great qualities. I would argue that recruiting can overcome coaching most of the time. Mack does not have a process or a philosophy. David Ash will be a true Junior this yr. He will be in his 3rd offense. That is preposterous. Think of Saban. He is a process guy. In terms of innovations, he isnt in my top 10. What he is great at is the process. He has a system, which he said he took from others. He puts every effort into maximizing his philosophy. You know what Bama will be every yr. So when you compare Texas to Bama in development you see differences, because Saban's kids come in and run the same thing every day for 4 yrs. There is no deviation from the time a kid is recruited to the off-season, weight training, practice, and the game. There is not a Junior on Texas that has been in the same system for 3 yrs. Texas has recruited for multiple systems. That does not lend itself to optimization of development.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't do too bad at TCU. What did he do at Bama the one season he was there? 7-5 I think. Thanks "Big Money Ags" for replacing the best coach in school history with "The Fran Plan":L

Ten years ago I didn't find it funny.

Well, I guess you could say that Ladanian Tomlinson sure helps make a coach look good also.

I know Slocum leaving was a tough decision and was a great coach in Aggieland but I thought it was time for him to go. A&M had alot of NFL talent on the roster in the 90's and didn't have a record to match the talent level. Slocum always had a problem winning the big game and then at the end he was having a problem winning in the regular season. I thought a change was needed. The choice A&M was wrong. I guess the AD was just as fooled by Coah Sham's success with LT as just about everyone else was.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-

There is a simple reason why people call for Mack's head. He is a CEO. HE does the little things coaches hate. He is a great salesman. These are great qualities. I would argue that recruiting can overcome coaching most of the time. Mack does not have a process or a philosophy. David Ash will be a true Junior this yr. He will be in his 3rd offense. That is preposterous. Think of Saban. He is a process guy. In terms of innovations, he isnt in my top 10. What he is great at is the process. He has a system, which he said he took from others. He puts every effort into maximizing his philosophy. You know what Bama will be every yr. So when you compare Texas to Bama in development you see differences, because Saban's kids come in and run the same thing every day for 4 yrs. There is no deviation from the time a kid is recruited to the off-season, weight training, practice, and the game. There is not a Junior on Texas that has been in the same system for 3 yrs. Texas has recruited for multiple systems. That does not lend itself to optimization of development.

I agree that Mack has been wishy-washy in deciding to change offenses every 2 years or so. It took GD and him half of a season to give VY the zone read. After the USC NC game he decides to go pro-style, it fails and he goes back to a spread. 4 seasons later he decides to emphasis the run game to help RB recruiting, which is how we got Brown and Gray. Now it appears we are going back to a spread, but with the "hurry up".

IMO, we are now where we should have been all along. Texas HS's run mostly the spread and that is generally what the recruits do best.

I firmly believe that Diaz was not prepared for the Big 12 offenses last season. I believe he got a better understanding around mid season. Hopefully, he's prepared for 2013.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Mack has been wishy-washy in deciding to change offenses every 2 years or so. It took GD and him half of a season to give VY the zone read. After the USC NC game he decides to go pro-style, it fails and he goes back to a spread. 4 seasons later he decides to emphasis the run game to help RB recruiting, which is how we got Brown and Gray. Now it appears we are going back to a spread, but with the "hurry up".

IMO, we are now where we should have been all along. Texas HS's run mostly the spread and that is generally what the recruits do best.

I firmly believe that Diaz was not prepared for the Big 12 offenses last season. I believe he got a better understanding around mid season. Hopefully, he's prepared for 2013.
-
Diaz is tough. Defense was solid in 2011. God awful in 2012. Some is injuries. Some is Muschamps LB recruiting. Some is the DT play. A lot of it was panic on Diaz's part. I think we all underestimated the importance of Kheeston Randle. It will be very interesting to see the level of improvement. This is his proving pt.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHY when I clicked on this thread did I KNOW Mack Brown would be on this list?

I'm not a Mack Brown fan. But it's LAUGHABLE that fools think he isn't a top 10 coach, especially NU and tOSU fans.

Mack, for all his faults, is 2-3 against Tressel and has never lost to Pelini. In other words, you guys don't have a coach that can BEAT him, so your opinions basically mean squat.

It's laughable we're calling a NC coach that's top 3 in wins and winning percentage as a top 5 WORST coach. C'mon guys, you're all hopefully smarter than this.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I guess you could say that Ladanian Tomlinson sure helps make a coach look good also.

I know Slocum leaving was a tough decision and was a great coach in Aggieland but I thought it was time for him to go. A&M had alot of NFL talent on the roster in the 90's and didn't have a record to match the talent level. Slocum always had a problem winning the big game and then at the end he was having a problem winning in the regular season. I thought a change was needed. The choice A&M was wrong. I guess the AD was just as fooled by Coah Sham's success with LT as just about everyone else was.

I agree about RC. After 3 SWC titles and 1 Big 12 Title, the landscape of the B12 was changing with Stoops at OU and Mack at t.u. Slocum's scheme couldn't compete with those two. It helped a little there at the end when he put Sumlin in as OC but it was too little too late.

So when the Big Money Ags showed RC the door it made sense to hire the guy that had success at TCU (Thanks LT) and had an immediate impact at Alabama (or so it seemed). I never liked Fran. The way he bailed on Alabama when the NCAA started placing sanctions on them for what the previous coach did was down right chicken shit. I know RC didn't have an impeccable bowl record but the way Frans teams performed in Bowls and big games was embarrassing.
0-77 vs OU
7-38 Cotton Bowl vs Tennessee
10-45 Holiday Bowl vs Cal but yippee, we beat tu 12-7 so lets keep him around
17-34 at Miami by this time I had enough of the Fran Plan and joined the chorus calling for his head.

Before RC left I remember going to games at Kyle Field thinking it would be impossible to lose at home.
Ever since Fran took over A&M had to muster come from behind victories at home against Non-Conf Opponents.
I get frustrated at all the fans chanting "Wrecking Crew" I've seen a couple of really good defensive players come through A&M but nothing close to Wrecking Crew Defenses as a whole since RC left.

Anyway, I got off on a rant. Point is Fran sucked. Slocum had one losing season and the BMAs brought in someone who they thought would do better and we as fans had to suffer for a decade as a result. That's why I tell the teasips that I know that want Mack gone to chill and be happy your team is still in the national conversation.

In my man cave I have a RC Slocum signed Football, a Mike Sherman signed Helmet. I have a Fran signed football outside that the dogs play with. Haven't met Sumlin yet.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-

Perfect analysis.....:clap:

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHY when I clicked on this thread did I KNOW Mack Brown would be on this list?

I'm not a Mack Brown fan. But it's LAUGHABLE that fools think he isn't a top 10 coach, especially NU and tOSU fans.

Mack, for all his faults, is 2-3 against Tressel and has never lost to Pelini. In other words, you guys don't have a coach that can BEAT him, so your opinions basically mean squat.

It's laughable we're calling a NC coach that's top 3 in wins and winning percentage as a top 5 WORST coach. C'mon guys, you're all hopefully smarter than this.

Actually, Mack is 2-1 vs. Tressel (wait for Buckeye fans to start claiming moral victories for those 2 losses) and 2-0 vs. Pelini, giving Pelini a severe beatdown in Lincoln with his worse team ever mind you.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, I got off on a rant. Point is Fran sucked. Slocum had one losing season and the BMAs brought in someone who they thought would do better and we as fans had to suffer for a decade as a result. That's why I tell the teasips that I know that want Mack gone to chill and be happy your team is still in the national conversation.
-

At the end of the day I have a different view. Mack is not going to coach 5-10 more yrs. I am pragmatic. Texas can get a good candidate. Texas should be able to find a successful marriage inside of 3 hires. Might hit lightening in the bottle with the first hire. It may take 3 hires to reach the program's potential. I would rather start that earlier than later. There have been a few cracks showing lately, nothing major, but if it continues it make it harder for Texas to reach its potential.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know RC didn't have an impeccable bowl record but the way Frans teams performed in Bowls and big games was embarrassing.
0-77 vs OU
7-38 Cotton Bowl vs Tennessee
10-45 Holiday Bowl vs Cal but yippee, we beat tu 12-7 so lets keep him around
17-34 at Miami by this time I had enough of the Fran Plan and joined the chorus calling for his head.

Before RC left I remember going to games at Kyle Field thinking it would be impossible to lose at home.
Ever since Fran took over A&M had to muster come from behind victories at home against Non-Conf Opponents.
I get frustrated at all the fans chanting "Wrecking Crew" I've seen a couple of really good defensive players come through A&M but nothing close to Wrecking Crew Defenses as a whole since RC left.

I thought Fran was going to be good for A&M. I had started to have my doubts then they started 2-0 in 2007 and looked like Fran had turned it around. Then that emabarassment to the Hurrincanes happens. It was so bad I left the sports bar in the 3rd. Inspite of the rather large breasted and very attactive waitress giving me free beer and a shoulder to cry on. That game was the last straw for me.

I'm with you on the the new "Wrecking Crew". The old Crew would whip the current defenses ass and take their lunch money. The WC from the late 80s early 90s would just destroy the other teams offense.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Fran was going to be good for A&M. I had started to have my doubts then they started 2-0 in 2007 and looked like Fran had turned it around. Then that emabarassment to the Hurrincanes happens. It was so bad I left the sports bar in the 3rd. Inspite of the rather large breasted and very attactive waitress giving me free beer and a shoulder to cry on. That game was the last straw for me.

I'm with you on the the new "Wrecking Crew". The old Crew would whip the current defenses ass and take their lunch money. The WC from the late 80s early 90s would just destroy the other teams offense.

ahhh, the Quinton Coryatt days.......I miss those times. Football in the state was great back then......even when we sucked, games were fun to watch.

Wondering when the series will continue, it's just a matter of time.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ahhh, the Quinton Coryatt days.......I miss those times. Football in the state was great back then......even when we sucked, games were fun to watch.

Wondering when the series will continue, it's just a matter of time.

Probably start back up when y'all get a new AD. Lot of people still butt hurt about us leaving.

The games were a lot better back then. The rivalry kind of lost its edge after the Big 12 formed and bonfire accident. The Bonfire game was probably the most memoribe. I have a lot of respect for Mac for how he handled it.

I think that after a few years the series will continue once again. I just hope it's as fun as it used to be. This new generation just doesn't understand or care about the rivalry.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bottom five go as followed.

1. Mike Leach
2. Mike Leach
3. Mike Leach
4. Mike Leach
5. Mike Leach

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bottom five go as followed.

1. Mike Leach
2. Mike Leach
3. Mike Leach
4. Mike Leach
5. Mike Leach

carson.jpg

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably start back up when y'all get a new AD. Lot of people still butt hurt about us leaving.

The games were a lot better back then. The rivalry kind of lost its edge after the Big 12 formed and bonfire accident. The Bonfire game was probably the most memoribe. I have a lot of respect for Mac for how he handled it.

I think that after a few years the series will continue once again. I just hope it's as fun as it used to be. This new generation just doesn't understand or care about the rivalry.

It will be a while, that's for sure. This new generation had nothing to do with Aggy ending the rivalry, btw. Blame it on money. Even if UT gets a new AD, we're not playing ya'll. Not only that, TTECH or Baylor isn't playing Aggy either. Too much bad blood. I think it will take at least a decade before anything happens again. Both schools were very stupid and childish for letting this happen.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I hope you never do.

We have had dark years too. 2007 and last year. Don't think next year will be dark, but may be dank and dim. Ah,, the glass will be half full until loss #1.