• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2015 Bullpen - Kenley Jansen and the Box of Pain™

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't hate the trade (even in hindsight, the Dodgers didn't give up much to Seattle), but I hated the contract. 3 years, 21 million... That's a lot even if you have unlimited money...

He did a decent(ish) job last year, but still. The bullpen last year was shit. Being the 3rd best in last years' bullpen is like being the world's tallest midget. It was all Kenley, then JP Howell, then.....

long pause....

Brandon League. He's a great teammate and a cool guy. I'd love to party with him in Hawaii. But, I hate to say it, home boy was NOT worth his contract. Hence the DFA by a Front Office that is actually smart.

For what it's worth, I'd like League to accept an assignment to AAA and stick around a bit. If Yimi or whoever goes down for a spell, I think League is better than anyone waiting in the wings (as far as RH relievers who are ready to go RIGHT NOW). If not, I wish him the best on another team.

Mark my words, the next team to sign him (for nothing, while the Dodgers pay the rest), will be stoked with their restults. They'll expect nothing and get something. League is definitely something.

From the Dodgers' perspective, the way I see this is as a compliment to the current bullpen staff. League is not better than Baez, Peralta, Garcia, et al. He's decent, but those guys are just better. Since he doesn't have roster flexibility, he gets the DFA and the Dodgers stand to lose the next-best right-handed reliever that they have.

League would definitely be the next-best right-handed reliever that the Dodgers had, if he stayed in the system.

Don't disagree with your post, "day 1" may have been a bit of an exaggeration. He wasn't that bad after the trade, we needed bullpen arms that year but I didn't expect him to resign at all, let alone sign a contract like that. Colleti probably deserves more of the blame than League, he was known for the occasional bad signing, something our new front office doesn't really do.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colletti deserves all of the blame for League. All of it. It was 100% his fault.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Current Bullpen:

Jansen
Johnson
Howell (L)
Baez
Peralta
Avilan (L)
Nicasio

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jharel Cotton emerges as possible Dodgers bullpen option

Anderson was promoted with Cotton to Oklahoma City, where both starters will pitch out of the bullpen, a tryout of sorts for a September call-up to help the beleaguered Dodgers bullpen. It's a bit of a long shot as Anderson have doesn't have to be added to the 40-man roster until November 2016 — Cotton will need to be added this November, giving him a slight edge — but they definitely have a chance.

Dodgers looking to try out SP prospects as late season / playoff bullpen help. Quoted section is talking about Chris Anderson, in case that's not obvious for some reason.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullpen was awesome tonight.

And if on que...Hatcher comes through again!

Why does this organization not just get rid of this guy? Every time he pitches he gives up hits and runs. Seriously....on Sunday it was the game ending HR and now he gives up a double to his first batter.

Can someone please explain:

1. What this organization sees in him?
2. Why is he still on this team?

I must be missing something because he cannot get the job done and the minors stint did nothing apparently.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if on que...Hatcher comes through again!

Why does this organization not just get rid of this guy? Every time he pitches he gives up hits and runs. Seriously....on Sunday it was the game ending HR and now he gives up a double to his first batter.

Can someone please explain:

1. What this organization sees in him?
2. Why is he still on this team?

I must be missing something because he cannot get the job done and the minors stint did nothing apparently.
Why did you quote my post from April 15?

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did you quote my post from April 15?

????

I don't know what you are talking about. I thought you were part of the pro-Hatcher crowd.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The quote of mine in your past was from April 15. And no, I'm not in the "pro-Hatcher" crowd, I'm just not in the "give-up-on-him-now anti-Hatcher" crowd. He's not perfect, but he's not a lost cause either. I still think he has a chance to be alright. He has lots of room to improve.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The quote of mine in your past was from April 15. And no, I'm not in the "pro-Hatcher" crowd, I'm just not in the "give-up-on-him-now anti-Hatcher" crowd. He's not perfect, but he's not a lost cause either. I still think he has a chance to be alright. He has lots of room to improve.

I just read your 4/15 quote, sorry man, but I wasn't copying you. Looks like you all were talking about Huff.

At any rate, we should keep him in the minors till he proves himself. Having him come up and get lit up each time he is on the mound cannot be helping him. He literally gives up a hit or run each time on the mound. Not good!

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would've preferred to see Hatcher get optioned instead of Yimi Garcia when they brought back Nicasio.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of that will matter anyways when rosters expand next week.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of that will matter anyways when rosters expand next week.

So who gets called up? I want to see Cotton in action. I think he might be the most ready relief pitcher we have in the minors (other than a veteran with MLB experience).

I would assume Peraza, Seager, Cotton, Anderson, Barnes? I would love to have Sborz get called up given his recent success in the College World Series, but I doubt he does.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who gets called up? I want to see Cotton in action. I think he might be the most ready relief pitcher we have in the minors (other than a veteran with MLB experience).

I would assume Peraza, Seager, Cotton, Anderson, Barnes? I would love to have Sborz get called up given his recent success in the College World Series, but I doubt he does.
Well, I wouldn't expect anyone who isn't already on the 40-man to come up instantly. Sborz isn't happening. Cotton, Anderson, and Seager aren't on the 40-man and they'll be in the minors until the last second. The Dodgers don't want to rob them of playing time.

Peraza is a possibility, but I wouldn't be surprised if they waited until the last second, same with Austin Barnes. If I'm running the show, I probably bring Barnes up right away because having 3 catchers is such a big plus.

For the first call-ups, I would expect to see any reliever who's on the 40-man and not injured. Bolsinger, Liberatore, Yimi Garcia, Daniel Coulombe, Josh Ravin, et al. Maybe Wilkins and/or Torreyes, too (as infield depth).

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see the Dodgers break their losing streak. I don't think these guys are out of the woods, just yet, and thankfully the Giants have been struggling as well. Dodgers should be up by 2 1/2 by the end of the Giants/Cubs game. About six days left before the "August" trade deadline ends. It will be interesting to see if the Dodgers make any more moves.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see the Dodgers break their losing streak. I don't think these guys are out of the woods, just yet, and thankfully the Giants have been struggling as well. Dodgers should be up by 2 1/2 by the end of the Giants/Cubs game. About six days left before the "August" trade deadline ends. It will be interesting to see if the Dodgers make any more moves.

Very nice team win. I haven't really been happy with DM's choices when to go to the bullpen and leaving pitchers in too long. Tonight, Wood did great, but I understand why DM went to bullpen early. The bullpen have be in situations where they aren't in trouble right away. 5 run lead helped. I think it will also help weed out the pitchers to continue with the team. Jim Johnson needs 1 more chance, and if he fails, he's gone.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very nice team win. I haven't really been happy with DM's choices when to go to the bullpen and leaving pitchers in too long. Tonight, Wood did great, but I understand why DM went to bullpen early. The bullpen have be in situations where they aren't in trouble right away. 5 run lead helped. I think it will also help weed out the pitchers to continue with the team. Jim Johnson needs 1 more chance, and if he fails, he's gone.

I don't understand why DM went to the bullpen? The bullpen has sucked and they have been overused as it is. DM does this constantly with all of his starting pitchers, including Kershaw and Greinke. They give up a hit late and Donnie panics! You want to give the bullpen some work, let them pitch in a blowout that we are already losing!

Wood also needs to get some work in and build some confidence, he can't get that if DM is going to yank him every sign of a base hit late! We are going to need Wood to go more than 5-6 innings a start over the next month, yesterday would have been a perfect opportunity to let him go 6-7 innings!

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's funny. I thought he was over-managing when he pulled Wood after only 88 pitches. Wood probably would've made it out of that inning - even at a worst-case-scenario of giving up a homer the team would've still be up 5-3. Instead he used two more relievers making it 3 pitchers to get through 6 innings. Doesn't matter though, the team won.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Six Ks, all with the changeup. The triple in that tweet was hit by Cotton.