• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2022 - 2023 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s not robbing if you own it. Broken record here Would not be surprised if Otto takes a prominent pen role. What about Burke? Maybe he starts maybe he does not.
Sure it is. It is like people robbing from their kids college funds or their IRA's for present expenditures.

More than that, it is short-sighted and very unwise.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Burke? Maybe he starts maybe he does not.
Burke will not ever start for the Rangers again. Once he moves on, who knows.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure it is. It is like people robbing from their kids college funds or their IRA's for present expenditures.

More than that, it is short-sighted and very unwise.
I guess you have an opinion about this. Sure seems you have soured upon Ranger FO moves are lack there of.
I am keeping an open mind on Burke and Otto. Would like to see Cody get a shot. If Winn and White progress then why waste Otto in AAA? Especially if we have depth in AAA

That to me is being intuitive and analytical not short sighted

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burke will not ever start for the Rangers again. Once he moves on, who knows.
Who knows if he moves on? Just because he does not start it’s kinda like he is going to be sick of the Rangers? That was not my take on his last interview I heard

I want a closer but maybe a little patience is in order

Last edited:

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would not be surprised if Otto takes a prominent pen role.
He was a reliever when drafted by Yankees they turned him into a starter so he knows how to go both ways now. That said I'd bet he'll be one of the long relievers/spot starter this year. That way he can continue to learn, get plenty of innings and give the other starters some rest, especially considering a couple of them who have injury histories...

I'm not the type of person who is rigid in the rotation order as to who pitches behind who. Sometimes using a spot starter to push everybody back a day or more to get them rest and better match ups is something I think needs to be done more often. I'll take a loss here and there to gain a couple more wins here and there... :nod:

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think they want to see if one of their own can step up to be the closer. So I don't think they'll make the major expenditure to get a true closer but maybe a guy who used to be one to sit on the bench and teach the young-uns how to be one... :nod:

Being a closer is sometimes more about mindset than actual "gun em down" velocity/stuff...

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they want to see if one of their own can step up to be the closer. So I don't think they'll make the major expenditure to get a true closer but maybe a guy who used to be one to sit on the bench and teach the young-uns how to be one... :nod:

Being a closer is sometimes more about mindset than actual "gun em down" velocity/stuff...
so who the potential candidates. I do want a guys who can miss bats

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Reactions: DTC

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure seems you have soured upon Ranger FO moves are lack there of.
I am just urging them to go get some pieces for the pen. They haven't failed to do that yet. If they don't get them, then I will sour on that decision. Not on the FO, but on that decision.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Winn and White progress then why waste Otto in AAA?
That progression is still a ways away from being able to manifest itself. Meanwhile, Otto is first up in a rotation where most of the members are injury concerns.

If White and Winn come on strong this year, then a discussion about using Otto in the pen in 2024, might be worth having. Although, I think when Otto is given a chance to start this year, he may change some minds about him being one of the first starters needing to go to the pen.

That discussion seems very premature to me at this point. You complained about not having AAA guys to depend on, resulting in bullpen games as much as anyone these last few months, so I would think you would be in favor of having Otto and as many others as possible to come up from AAA if needed.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That to me is being intuitive and analytical not short sighted
Having that depth is intuitive and analytical. So is going out and acquiring veteran bullpen pieces.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows if he moves on? Just because he does not start it’s kinda like he is going to be sick of the Rangers? That was not my take on his last interview I heard

He will be eligible for free agency at some point. There is probably a greater than 50% chance that he moves on then. That is especially true if he decides he wants to start.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are still good bullpen pieces to be had. CY needs to get at least one, probably two.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Conforto signs with another club pretty soon, then maybe the Rangers focus will turn to the pen. I hope he gets signed by another club really soon.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That progression is still a ways away from being able to manifest itself. Meanwhile, Otto is first up in a rotation where most of the members are injury concerns.

If White and Winn come on strong this year, then a discussion about using Otto in the pen in 2024, might be worth having. Although, I think when Otto is given a chance to start this year, he may change some minds about him being one of the first starters needing to go to the pen.

That discussion seems very premature to me at this point. You complained about not having AAA guys to depend on, resulting in bullpen games as much as anyone these last few months, so I would think you would be in favor of having Otto and as many others as possible to come up from AAA if needed.
Yes would agree that Otto is probable best even over Dunning by a little. Would be nice if another one is easily MLB ready. Just think it extremely unwise to let Otto sit in AAA

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes would agree that Otto is probable best even over Dunning by a little. Would be nice if another one is easily MLB ready. Just think it extremely unwise to let Otto sit in AAA
Lol, you can't have it both ways. Do you want guys ready, even in April, for an injury to a rotation member? If you do, Otto and Dunning are really the only ones this team would be comfortable counting on. I don't think they would be comfortable, early on, with Ragans and certainly not anyone else.

He will not be just sitting at AAA. He will be trying to improve and will be staying stretched out for that first inevitable injury to occur.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Otto or any other young starter, goes to the pen, any spot start would more or less be a bullpen game. You might get 3 innings out of him. Even of one member of your pen goes between 3 and 4 innings, it is still a bullpen game.