• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Taillon Promoted To AA Altoona

Burgh Sports Rule

Let's Go Bucs!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jameson Taillon was promoted to AA Altoona today by the Pirates. ( From Bucs Dugout.com Great News! )

It is expected that Taillon will get 2 or 3 starts for the Curve, before the Curve's season ends Sept. 3rd.

I have not heard as yet, when his first start will take place.

Burgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tallion has pitched 125 innings, Cole 115. Three more starts a piece should put them around 140 and 130 for the season.

I bet they both start next season with a innings cap around 160-170.

That is high enough so they pitch the whole year if you plan for it with early hooks/skip a start/max rest after break/start them off slow in April or do none of that and just give em the 'SS' treatment.

Bring em both up in late June? Hmmm, can you baby 2 starters in the rotation at the same time?

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think Taillon will be up next year. I do think Cole will be.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed with Illinest, judging by their trajectory I see Cole being the only guy up next season, Taillon likely the following year, and Heredia hopefully after that. Of course Heredia is much more of a toss up. Awesome stuff, but young/raw.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with those saying Cole up next year, but Taillon needs to pitch a lot better to be up for any significant time in 2014. Right now, he is looking at a full season of AA and then a full season of AAA before he gets the call. If he pitches better, then it is possible he could be up sooner.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Found a few people who were saying that Taillon has been pitching better than the numbers. Always take that with a grain of salt but it's a lot better than hearing silence.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I read something like that as well, but I also am a believer in numbers. Taillon with his pitches should be dominating High A. It is't like the FSL is dominated by hitters. It looks to be a pitchers league for the most part.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A series of thoughts about Cole, Taillon, and other starting pitchers

This whole roster thing is like a big jigsaw puzzle, and the starting rotation is no exception.

- Everyone is assuming that Correia will be gone after this season, and that's probably true.

- The consensus seems to be that Bedard will be gone, as well..... also seems likely.

- Morton won't be back until at least mid-season, IF he's tendered a contract. There seems to be a non-zero possibility that Morton will be non-tendered. My guess is that the probability is better than 50% that Morton WILL be tendered..... but his absence leaves at least one opening in the rotation for the first half of the 2012 season.

- At this point, Burnett, McDonald, Karstens, and Rodriguez as probables for next season.

- With Owens gone, that leaves Locke (2.68 ERA, 22 starts), Leroux (2.26 ERA, 5 starts), Wilson (3.84 ERA, 25 starts), and McPherson (1.59 ERA, 2 starts) at AAA..... along with VandenHurk (3.26 ERA, 16 starts), Daniel Cabrera (4.58 ERA, 20 starts), and Jo-Jo Reyes (2.74 ERA, 8 starts), but those three probably are not candidates.

- Locke, Wilson, and McPherson are on the 40-man roster, but Leroux is not.

- Will Huntington try to bring in another starter during the upcoming off-season?

- Even without any newcomers, there seem to be a lot of guys ahead of Cole and Taillon at this point (maybe even Phil Irwin, who was promoted recently to Indianapolis and installed in the starting rotation, after compiling a 2.91 ERA in 16 starts at Altoona).

- I have no doubt that Cole and/or Taillon could pass others in the prospect line..... but they will need to do that based on performance. Their pedigree is no longer of importance.

- It seems highly unlikely that either Cole or Taillon will skip AAA..... and when either will reach AAA will depend on how well each performs at Altoona. Like most observers, I believe Cole will begin next season at Indianapolis if he continues to perform well at Altoona.

- No doubt that Pirate brass will be watching very closely as Taillon starts at Altoona. At this point, I expect him to start next season at Altoona.

- I gotta reserve judgement on Heredia until he moves a couple more levels. He looks pretty good in short season A (2.96 ERA, 11 starts)..... although not as good as Clay Holmes (2.19 ERA, 11 starts)..... but a lot of guys look good in short season ball. Holmes may be a pretty good prospect. It will be interesting to watch both as they progress.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did a google search, trying to find what the Pirates got in return for Daniel Cabrera. The only thing I could find was "future considerations." Sounds like one of those deals where the intent was to give a veteran guy (one who the Pirates didn't see in their future) an opportunity elsewhere.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
5IP 4 hits 0 walks and 6 k's in his first start. Not to shabby numbers wise, but it really does't tell you if the balls hit in play were hit well or hit weakly.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5IP 4 hits 0 walks and 6 k's in his first start. Not to shabby numbers wise, but it really does't tell you if the balls hit in play were hit well or hit weakly.

That's encouraging to see from Taillon.

Santos is also staying hot at the plate, too.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's encouraging to see from Taillon.

Santos is also staying hot at the plate, too.

Santos has turned himself into a real prospect I would have to say. Wonder how consideration he is getting to be moved up to Indy. They are going to be making a playoff run, and he missed some time this year so the extra ab's would help. I would also consider him for the AFL.

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone know if Cole/Taillon are back to back in the rotation? Considering an overnight stay in Altoona in hopes of watching them both pitch.

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did some research myself. Cole last pitched on August 16. Surely he is up next.