• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Swinging at the first pitch

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my pet peeves is players swinging at the first pitch especially with the bases loaded. I just don't understand why so many players swing at the first pitch of a AB.

With pitch counts so often looked at hitters should be working pitchers always except in a few instances which a pitcher is always around the plate. The Giants continue to swing early and often and it just gets me frustrated.

I just don't understand why players don't work the count more often , work more walks, and get starters out of the game due to pitch count. Quick offensive innings 7-8-9 pitches also work against your own starter who gets less rest between innings on the bench.

This is the biggest problem by far for the Giants. One of the things I would like to see improved for 2014.

Go Giants !!

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always hate it when a player I'm rooting for swings at the first pitch, except, of course, when it results in a big hit!

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my pet peeves is players swinging at the first pitch especially with the bases loaded. I just don't understand why so many players swing at the first pitch of a AB.

With pitch counts so often looked at hitters should be working pitchers always except in a few instances which a pitcher is always around the plate. The Giants continue to swing early and often and it just gets me frustrated.

I just don't understand why players don't work the count more often , work more walks, and get starters out of the game due to pitch count. Quick offensive innings 7-8-9 pitches also work against your own starter who gets less rest between innings on the bench.

This is the biggest problem by far for the Giants. One of the things I would like to see improved for 2014

Go Giants !!

As long as you only do it occasionally swining at the 1st pitch can be a good thing.

Being predictable about what you'll swing at and what you won't benefits the opposition, not your team.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as you only do it occasionally swining at the 1st pitch can be a good thing.

Being predictable about what you'll swing at and what you won't benefits the opposition, not your team.

:agree: Pence, for example, has the reputation of being a very aggressive hitter, and often the pitcher throws crap that fades away as the first pitch because he knows there's a good chance he'll get a free strike.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I share the pet peeve. But here are the stats on Giant averages on the first pitch.

Sortable Player Stats | SFGiants.com: Stats

I'd love to see a stat combining first pitch swinging with RISP.

Interesting ...Thanks.

Still getting other starters out of the ballgame on pitch count and short 7`-10 pitch innings on offense hurting the Giants starting pitcher should be examined more closely.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was pretty surprised to see Greinke's pitch count ballooning last night while Cain's stayed low.

That's probably also why it was extra frustrating when Pence swung at the first pitch with bases loaded :gaah: