• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Super Bowl LVIII San Francisco 49ers vs Kansas City Chiefs

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Shanahan discussion is actually really interesting. The Niners were the favorites. #1 offense. A 1 seed. They should have been trying to maximize the number of possessions which means throwing the football. However, the Chiefs have Mahomes who is abnormally good at coming back in football games and Shanahan seems to be bad at closing football games. I really can see both sides to it. Not sure where I land. Just glad the Chiefs won.
I don’t know how you could craft a more advantageous situation for the 49ers and they still couldn’t close the deal. That’s very telling.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Shanahan discussion is actually really interesting. The Niners were the favorites. #1 offense. A 1 seed. They should have been trying to maximize the number of possessions which means throwing the football. However, the Chiefs have Mahomes who is abnormally good at coming back in football games and Shanahan seems to be bad at closing football games. I really can see both sides to it. Not sure where I land. Just glad the Chiefs won.

It was the passing plays they were drafting up. The 49ers led the league (by a decent margin) in YAC... Samuel, Aiyuk, Kittle, and CMAC are all huge YAC threats... why Shanny started letting Purdy throw beyond 5 yards was baffling. I think Shanny's ego got the best of him and he wanted Purdy to win MVP or something, and started making dumbass playcalls.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what the sad part of that is, some of the talking heads will somehow try to blame Purdy even though it was obviously a fuck up by the guard.
You can’t really say. You don’t know how the protection scheme was communicated. You don’t know if an audible was called. There’s a ton of variables here.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He wasn't perfect, but he put his guys in position to win. The Chiefs players just executed more than the Niners.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what the sad part of that is, some of the talking heads will somehow try to blame Purdy even though it was obviously a fuck up by the guard.

Yup. Give Purdy half a second more and maybe he's a hero. I love these detailed videos of plays. Baldy is probably one of the best.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't perfect, but he put his guys in position to win. The Chiefs players just executed more than the Niners.
Did he put them in a position to succeed? They went 3-12 on 3rd downs. This is consistent with his work in 2 other Super Bowls. Kyle Shanahan is a great regular season coach who can’t win the big one. Maybe he evolves and figures it out but there’s no way a person can avoid the reality that he has underperformed in the biggest of spots.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus the inevitable randomness of muffed kick returns and missed PATs

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the passing plays they were drafting up. The 49ers led the league (by a decent margin) in YAC... Samuel, Aiyuk, Kittle, and CMAC are all huge YAC threats... why Shanny started letting Purdy throw beyond 5 yards was baffling. I think Shanny's ego got the best of him and he wanted Purdy to win MVP or something, and started making dumbass playcalls.
I might have to look at it but IIRC the Chiefs were the best tackling team in the NFL. Not during the Super Bowl mind you but maybe it was a scheme thing.

All I know is that the Niners in the first quarter come out giving 110% energy and thats gone by the 4th quarter. Both Super Bowls.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might have to look at it but IIRC the Chiefs were the best tackling team in the NFL. Not during the Super Bowl mind you but maybe it was a scheme thing.

All I know is that the Niners in the first quarter come out giving 110% energy and thats gone by the 4th quarter. Both Super Bowls.

True. Chiefs defense also got hot during the playoffs/SBOWL... just got hot at the right time.

selkies ftw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda feel like it should have been a no brainer for the niners to go for it on the fourth down in overtime to get the touchdown. In what universe is Mahomes not gonna drive right down the field and win the game?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. Chiefs defense also got hot during the playoffs/SBOWL... just got hot at the right time.
Regular season Chiefs wouldve lost to the Bills (well...they did). They definitely got hot down the stretch.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What will be the rule change the Forty Whiners will demand this off season? I think they may try and legislate the punt out of the game. Toooooo dangerous. Just have the offense declare “Punt!” and the opposition can take over 40 yards away from the spot.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The punt muff was just wrong place, wrong time. Calling it an error is a bit strong. The low trajectory on the PAT was definitely an error, no reason for that on a short try.
You call for the blocker to bail out if the ball is going to land near him

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What will be the rule change the Forty Whiners will demand this off season? I think they may try and legislate the punt out of the game. Toooooo dangerous. Just have the offense declare “Punt!” and the opposition can take over 40 yards away from the spot.
I've been told by the tHoop board of supervisors that you aren't allowed to have this much fun...

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus the inevitable randomness of muffed kick returns and missed PATs

Yeah, that was unfortunate. I read somewhere that the Chiefs recovered 6 of 7 fumbles. This is a literal example of the bounce of the ball cliché. LOL.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC led the League in drops and penalties in the reg season but end up winning the SB.

Best coach and QB in the League.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC led the League in drops and penalties in the reg season but end up winning the SB.

Best coach and QB in the League.
If they get another reliable receiver and fix the o-line issues, look out...

Chris Jones already said he wants to stay and re-sign with the Chiefs...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they get another reliable receiver and fix the o-line issues, look out...

Chris Jones already said he wants to stay and re-sign with the Chiefs...
I think the Chiefs have to choose between Jones, MVS, and Sneed. I think Jones would be best for the team on paper but I suspect they wont be able to afford him.