• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Super Bowl LVIII San Francisco 49ers vs Kansas City Chiefs

Stlducks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its weird because neither team really seems as hot as when they met 4 years back with both teams being far and away the best teams. This year its just the two teams that survived.

I think the previous matchup there was a distinct possibility that neither defense was equipped to deal with the other team's offense. This time I suspect the defenses should be more than capable. Niners really picked on Eric Fisher and Daniel Sorenson in the last matchup. Not sure they can find a Sorenson but it probably shouldn't be too difficult to find a matchup on the Chiefs oline that Bosa can exploit. Chiefs picked on Richard Sherman. I also dont think Mahomes had a particularly good game against the Niners last matchup but got bailed out with the wasp throw to Tyreek Hill. So I'd imagine Mahomes will be better but which Chiefs receivers will show up? Niners have also upgraded at QB so even though the defenses match up better, the QB play should be better, too.

LFG

The teams are incredibly evenly matched. I give KC the edge because of three factors.
1. Best QB in the league
2. Best big game coach in the league
3. Tons of SB experience on the roster

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm tired of hearing about the catch being lucky. The ref threw a flag for DPI, even if he doesn't catch that we have the ball on the 7 yard line. Why are people ignoring that?

We missed a FG early, that was lucky for Detroit. The fourth down conversions were good defense, not luck.

You can easily say the Lions were lucky we started terrible or else that game could have been a blow out the way the second half went.

Didn't the refs pick up the flag? That's what I remember. Also, just watch that play again. Aiyuk and the DB were handfighting a little bit, but I don't see either of them grabbing the other person's arm, so a no call was the right call, IMO.

I think that all three things happening very close together (failed 4th down conversion, Aiyuk catch off of deflection from DB's helmet, and Gibbs fumble) was insanely lucky. I know that players are out there giving a great effort to play defense, but the odds of the Lions converting on 4th and 2 was pretty good, and the chance that a RB fumbles on any given play are low.

Stlducks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't the refs pick up the flag? That's what I remember. Also, just watch that play again. Aiyuk and the DB were handfighting a little bit, but I don't see either of them grabbing the other person's arm, so a no call was the right call, IMO.

I think that all three things happening very close together (failed 4th down conversion, Aiyuk catch off of deflection from DB's helmet, and Gibbs fumble) was insanely lucky. I know that players are out there giving a great effort to play defense, but the odds of the Lions converting on 4th and 2 was pretty good, and the chance that a RB fumbles on any given play are low.
I thought the DPI was because the Lions DB blocked Yuk from running when the ball was in the air, just a second before the ball hit his facemask.

I understand what you're saying in that things went the Niners way but I don't consider that lucky. Lucky would be guys slipping on big plays like we did against GB or Goff missing wide open guys.

49ers forced the Lions into bad situations and benefited from it.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the DPI was because the Lions DB blocked Yuk from running when the ball was in the air, just a second before the ball hit his facemask.

I understand what you're saying in that things went the Niners way but I don't consider that lucky. Lucky would be guys slipping on big plays like we did against GB or Goff missing wide open guys.

49ers forced the Lions into bad situations and benefited from it.

I just think that those 3 fortuitous plays happening so close together was insanely unlikely. It was three plays in a span of eight plays that changed the whole game. It all happened in less than 2 minutes of game time. The Niners went from down 24-10 while facing either a Lions FG or a possible 4th down conversion to being right back in the game.

Screenshot_74.jpg

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the immortal words of Ken Pile........
.. " REVENGE "

Signed 49er fan

LeroyOU12

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC should be favored. They are playing better right now, have the best QB and all the experience.

I'm not feeling confident for the Niners the way our defense has looked but anything can happen.
This guy, Peter Schrager had correctly picked the last 4 SB winners in September before the season started.

Peter Schrager's incredible Super Bowl picks streak is still alive: Here's who he has this year - Yahoo Sports

"It'll be 49ers vs. Chiefs in Vegas," Schrager said in September. "The winner, with the exact score being 34-28, and with second-year cornerback Trent McDuffie returning a pick-6 late in the fourth quarter, the Kansas City Chiefs will yet again be your Super Bowl champion."

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm taking the 49ers 34 and Chiefs 28 San Fransisco finds rhythm so fast on both sides of the ball and that will be enough to overcome a halftime deficit. Both defenses will have problems but SF has way too many weapons to deal with.
Hell I'm tempted to declare a blowout 42-19 after thinking about it

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whew, tough one to call here. But if my gut is leaning in any direction at this point, it's toward the Chiefs. I don't believe on paper they're the more talented roster between the two clubs, I'd give that edge to SF. But that damn Mahomes just could be the X factor in all this.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's clear this is the most even SB matchup in a while. Everyone is already all over the place with different predictions, I imagine no matter what you predict you don't have strong conviction. How could you?

All we know is it should be close and it should be a good game, and probably will turn on a couple moments. And luck will be involved.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The NFC West continues their dominance in the NFC with winning the conference 7 times in the last 12 years
That's not counting how many times they've at least been to the conference game.....Or maybe I should say how many times my 9ers have lost in conference games in that span.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, this could be a difference maker:

Not sure how much this tips the scales, but it could be a factor.
Definitely a factor. Its probably on par with Joe Thuney being out. Chiefs can replace him but it makes them thinner in the trenches. Omenihu was the guy who was going to line up against Trent Williams so he wasn't going to win that matchup but you also dont want to lose that matchup too badly.

Danna is solid and will take that spot. Karlaftis is still a young pup. Mostly plays against RTs I believe. Makes a ton of splash plays with pressures and sacks but not really the best edge setter or anything. Felix Anudike-Uzomah has been buried on the depth chart. He got a start against the Chargers late against the season with a ton of reps against their OT Slater. Seems to have pretty good technique and potential but his functional strength isnt the best and probably needs to put on some weight.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The teams are incredibly evenly matched. I give KC the edge because of three factors.
1. Best QB in the league
2. Best big game coach in the league
3. Tons of SB experience on the roster
I feel those are the three reasons KC makes it evenly matched. If we were factoring in the whole season, the Niners should be 5 or 6 point favorites. Chiefs could've very easily lost to the Jets and Vikings and been an 8 loss team. The two teams the Niners beat in the playoffs both beat the Chiefs in the regular season.

The reason to ignore that is the idea that the Chiefs are locked in. Mahomes to Kelce is the best connection in NFL history. Andy Reid with a bye week. Spagnuolo with a top defense. Toub with a good special teams unit.