• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

State of the AFC West: Post Draft

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the bulk of the FAs signed and now the draft in the books teams are really beginning to take shape. There will be some late additions, injuries through the off season programs (hoping for the best health for everyone) and of course, a few rounds of cuts before the season kicks off, but at this point we at least have a preview of how well teams addressed areas of weakness.

I don't get too detailed into the draft analysis because it's anyone's guess how any of these new players will fare in the league. But between draft picks and free agents signed one can get a feel for the overall strengths of the team. So here are some wave top assessments I came up with while looking at the AFC West teams while at work today. Consider this a primer for some predictions I'll be making later this week.

Denver Broncos:

I almost don't want to include them because we've said it all already. Still, in an effort to be inclusive of the whole division I'll summarize. The defense is going to rock it again. The losses have been stated and overstated. While Jackson and Trevathon were impact players, the team didn't even offer Trevathon a deal and Jackson, while a good player in his own right, benefitted greatly from the players around him, just as his replacement will. On offense, we can probably expect some growing pains again as the offense will fully transition to Kubiak's design this year. Some changes on the line may result in some setbacks but for the most part I expect the running game to be top-flight this year. I realize the next big narrative surrounding the Broncos will be the "QB controversy." I am going to assume for now Sanchez will win the starting job and do just fine for the Broncos. As CD and I discussed elsewhere, one of the single biggest improvements this unit can make this year is cutting down the turnovers. That alone would help the defense and can easily help power this team to another AFC West title.

Oakland Raiders:

This team has a young core that is really starting to come of age. A few FA signings and mark it: they will be a trendy pick to win the AFC West. Bringing in Sean Smith and drafting Karl Joseph should go a long way toward shoring up their secondary. Even a marginal improvement against the run could make them a top-10 unit in that regard. They'll also need to see some significant improvement in their opponents' scoring. With that said, I think they will be. I think they'll be a mid-tier defense across the board, trending toward the top half of the league. On offense, it's a matter of continuing the improvement curve. Carr to Cooper could be a great pairing. Their biggest issue on that side of the ball is likely the running game. Murray is a very capable back, but they lack legitimate depth there. Unless they plan on giving him 350 carries they may find their offense limited. While I view them as trending in the right direction this team is still a work in progress. That lack of a ground game is going to cost them when Carr has a bad game: their defense isn't good enough yet to survive multiple 3 and outs by the offense.

San Diego Chargers:

I honestly think this team is going to have an impact on the division this year. Despite an injury ravaged season, they were actually not an awful team in 2015 once you look a little deeper than the 4-12 season. They lost 8 games by 8 points or less. Arguably a better team would have found a way to win some of those close losses, but what that tells me is this was a 4-12 team that was close because they weren't getting railed week in and week out. Add in a few pretty solid free agents and what appears to be a pretty solid draft class and the Chargers may just be a solid unit this year. The noise of a move to Los Angeles won't be hanging over them this year, either. The team is all in on Rivers at QB, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. And that brings me to an interesting idea. Rivers is 34 years old, and this draft class for the Chargers looks stout. Rivers has 3-4 years left of playing at a high level, but it'll be 2-3 years before this class really comes into its own. That means the Chargers may have a solid season or two, and then essentially a 1-year window to really contend for a Super Bowl. With a lot of QBs in their mid-30s set to start leaving the game over the next 2-5 years, it'll be interesting to see how the Chargers transition from Rivers to whoever is next.

Kansas City Chiefs:

Even when you give them the benefit of the doubt through free agency and the draft, it's hard to definitively say this team got better so far. Jamaal Charles returning from injury is perhaps the greatest claim they can make regarding improving. Then again, they didn't really get it together until Charles went down so read into that what you will. They lost some central pieces on defense, and to expect some of these rookies they drafted to come in and produce at an elite level is hopeful at best. That isn't to say they had a bad draft; I don't think they did. But I don't think they drafted anyone who is going to make an immediate impact on either side of the ball. And they still lack a play maker WR opposite Maclin. They may have shored up the O-line and that should help, but the losses on defense offset that. In a year where the Raiders and Chargers appear to have gotten better the Chiefs don't appear to have made any obvious improvements. And they can't count on sweeping those teams this year.

Overall thoughts:

The Broncos are still a cut above the rest. From overall talent on the roster to coaching to front office acumen the Broncos are still the best in the west. I expect the Raiders to continue to improve, and may turn some heads this year. While the Chargers should rebound to some extent, I don't consider them a playoff contender. As for the Chiefs, I don't think they've made enough serious progress forward in a division with the defending champs and two up and comers.

Predicted Standings:

Broncos: 12-4
Raiders: 10-6 (WC)
Chiefs: 8-8
Chargers: 7-9

More to come. Until then, your thoughts?

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you make a ton of very good points overall. My only critique would be that I think you are under-playing our divisional foes. Your scenario would not shock me at all but I also wouldn't be surprised to see Oakland or KC at the top of the heap at year's end. The one thing that I am confident of is that the AFC West if going to be a very strong division for years to come. Were it not for a few lucky bounces and the will of the Broncos to pull out coin flip games in the fourth quarter last year, we may not have made it to the big dance at all. We went 1-1 with the Chiefs with a miracle comeback in the fourth quarter. The Raiders gave us all we could handle as well. Even the Chargers put the Broncos to the test in Denver. I do think the Broncos are still the best rounded team overall but by the slimmest of margins. I think our FO and coaching staff is head and shoulders above the rest though. I love what we did in the draft but it's too early to assess the return on our picks. Our defense should be very good again this year but may take a half step back. You just never know. Every year there seems to be a worst to first scenario in the NFL.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you make a ton of very good points overall. My only critique would be that I think you are under-playing our divisional foes.

W-L predictions for all four teams are coming and I think once you see the rationale behind them you'll see I am giving a lot of due credit. If anything, I am being overly optimistic about our Broncos being able to reach another 12-4 season. But again: the game by game predictions will flush out the rationale.

Your scenario would not shock me at all but I also wouldn't be surprised to see Oakland or KC at the top of the heap at year's end. The one thing that I am confident of is that the AFC West if going to be a very strong division for years to come. Were it not for a few lucky bounces and the will of the Broncos to pull out coin flip games in the fourth quarter last year, we may not have made it to the big dance at all. We went 1-1 with the Chiefs with a miracle comeback in the fourth quarter. The Raiders gave us all we could handle as well. Even the Chargers put the Broncos to the test in Denver.

It is definitely going to be a tough division. Arguably one of the better divisions top-to-bottom in the league. Division rivals play each other tight and I think it's going to be difficult for anyone to really pull away from the pack.

I do think the Broncos are still the best rounded team overall but by the slimmest of margins. I think our FO and coaching staff is head and shoulders above the rest though. I love what we did in the draft but it's too early to assess the return on our picks. Our defense should be very good again this year but may take a half step back. You just never know. Every year there seems to be a worst to first scenario in the NFL.

Like the Chiefs, I believe the Broncos drafted primarily for depth and the future more so than guys who they expect to come in an immediately be "the guy" at their position. But the Broncos did so from the standpoint of having a better overall roster, so that gives them to luxury of being able to work these players in gradually. And of course, both teams drafted some players who will become regular contributors right away. I just question the degree to which the Chiefs rookies can make the difference between 8-8 and another playoff season.

Also keep in mind what I've said about the Chiefs specifically. They have the feel of the 2013 Falcons. Finally got that playoff monkey off their backs, sky high expectations, and likely a crushing disappointment of a season ahead.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All speculation and conjecture at this point but I definitely hope you're right. Minimally, we get to bask in the glow of a world championship for quite a few more months!

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All speculation and conjecture at this point but I definitely hope you're right. Minimally, we get to bask in the glow of a world championship for quite a few more months!

How awesome is that?

Something occurred to me today. Sort of some AFC West trivia. Something I should have noticed a long time ago. The Broncos have as many Super Bowl appearances as the rest of the division combined. Sure, that includes 5 losses, but when you consider the 3 wins it's all good. 3-5 for one team is almost equally impressive as a collective 4-4 from three other teams. That's 3-2 for the Raiders, 1-1 for the Chiefs, and 0-1 for the Chargers. None of this has any relevance to the 2016 season, of course. It's just fun facts.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Predicted Standings:

I am working on a simple model for the entire league and may end up revising these picks based on my output. I may adjust based on expectations after looking at other teams improvements. For example, Jacksonville may be a solid team this year. And in a division where 9-7 or 10-6 may do it, it isn't a stretch to believe they could contend for a playoff spot. Since the AFC West plays the Jags, a closer look at them may warrant a minor adjustment to my predictions. And that's just one example.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the thoughts. I do agree with you that most teams cannot depend on rookies to contribute at a high level. Yes there are some like the Chiefs got from their 1st round pick this past year but for the most part most rookies are pretty hit and miss. The one thing I love is that Elway drafts for the future not for the immediate. Too many teams reach for immediate needs and then find themselves with a lesser player and a need at a position they should have drafted at the next year.

The nice thing for the Broncos is our 1st 3 rounds from last year should all be much bigger contributors in year 2 filling in at some spots that we lost players like LG and TE. Also I am very excited to see what Shane Ray can do year two. I mean look at what Shaq Barrett was able to do in just one year under the leadership of Ware and Miller. So can you imagine our team truly having 4 pass rushers that could be starting on most teams coming after the QB? Ware has already said that he thinks the pass rush will actually be better. Now given what else should we expect him to say but this is year 2 in the same system with a couple of our younger guys getting some experience. Same for the secondary of the growth from last year to this year of being in the same system.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ I agree that the defense may be better this year. So much has been made about losing Trevathon (not even offered a contract) and Jackson and little to nothing about it being year 2 in a system and two young pass rushing LBs in Barrett and Ray waiting in the wings. Combine that with a shutdown secondary and you have the makings of a dominant defense. If the offense cuts turnovers in half, even a 40% reduction, this defense is going to be lights out. Going into the Super Bowl I kept explaining the Panthers had not seen a defense quite like the Broncos. No other defense in the league last year was as good as the Broncos in all three of stopping the run, rushing the passer, and stopping the pass. Other good defenses were weak in one of these areas and schemed around their weakness. The Broncos were the only defense that could do all three consistently at a high level. To assume that in the second year of a system they cannot build on that with 9 of 11 starters returning, as well as near-starters in Roby, Barrett and Ray is football illiteracy (a.k.a. being a Chiefs/Raiders fan).

On offense it truly is hard to really know what to expect. The line is the biggest question mark, even more so than the QB position. With that said, the talent does appear to be upgraded, but continuity in the system is important. As we keep asserting, the single biggest improvement the offense can make is cutting turnovers. I think beyond that, the team looks to be gearing up to really emerge as a top-tier running offense. That grinding type of game combined with this defense is going to lead to a lot of wins.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oakland 8-8 with the head coach they have . it will always be 8-8 with JDR ... Some years 9-7 ...Some years 7-9

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oakland 8-8 with the head coach they have . it will always be 8-8 with JDR ... Some years 9-7 ...Some years 7-9

Over the long haul I agree. I think JDR will have his moments though. He managed a couple 11-5/12-4 seasons in Jacksonville and for the most part has a better front office situation in Oakland now with Reggie Mac. I definitely think he will be able to get 10-6 out of this roster sooner or later, likely this year because he will catch a few teams snoozing. Once he settles in and gets comfortable, the Raiders will likely be a perennial .500 team.

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the bulk of the FAs signed and now the draft in the books teams are really beginning to take shape. There will be some late additions, injuries through the off season programs (hoping for the best health for everyone) and of course, a few rounds of cuts before the season kicks off, but at this point we at least have a preview of how well teams addressed areas of weakness.

I don't get too detailed into the draft analysis because it's anyone's guess how any of these new players will fare in the league. But between draft picks and free agents signed one can get a feel for the overall strengths of the team. So here are some wave top assessments I came up with while looking at the AFC West teams while at work today. Consider this a primer for some predictions I'll be making later this week.

Denver Broncos:

I almost don't want to include them because we've said it all already. Still, in an effort to be inclusive of the whole division I'll summarize. The defense is going to rock it again. The losses have been stated and overstated. While Jackson and Trevathon were impact players, the team didn't even offer Trevathon a deal and Jackson, while a good player in his own right, benefitted greatly from the players around him, just as his replacement will. On offense, we can probably expect some growing pains again as the offense will fully transition to Kubiak's design this year. Some changes on the line may result in some setbacks but for the most part I expect the running game to be top-flight this year. I realize the next big narrative surrounding the Broncos will be the "QB controversy." I am going to assume for now Sanchez will win the starting job and do just fine for the Broncos. As CD and I discussed elsewhere, one of the single biggest improvements this unit can make this year is cutting down the turnovers. That alone would help the defense and can easily help power this team to another AFC West title.

Oakland Raiders:

This team has a young core that is really starting to come of age. A few FA signings and mark it: they will be a trendy pick to win the AFC West. Bringing in Sean Smith and drafting Karl Joseph should go a long way toward shoring up their secondary. Even a marginal improvement against the run could make them a top-10 unit in that regard. They'll also need to see some significant improvement in their opponents' scoring. With that said, I think they will be. I think they'll be a mid-tier defense across the board, trending toward the top half of the league. On offense, it's a matter of continuing the improvement curve. Carr to Cooper could be a great pairing. Their biggest issue on that side of the ball is likely the running game. Murray is a very capable back, but they lack legitimate depth there. Unless they plan on giving him 350 carries they may find their offense limited. While I view them as trending in the right direction this team is still a work in progress. That lack of a ground game is going to cost them when Carr has a bad game: their defense isn't good enough yet to survive multiple 3 and outs by the offense.

San Diego Chargers:

I honestly think this team is going to have an impact on the division this year. Despite an injury ravaged season, they were actually not an awful team in 2015 once you look a little deeper than the 4-12 season. They lost 8 games by 8 points or less. Arguably a better team would have found a way to win some of those close losses, but what that tells me is this was a 4-12 team that was close because they weren't getting railed week in and week out. Add in a few pretty solid free agents and what appears to be a pretty solid draft class and the Chargers may just be a solid unit this year. The noise of a move to Los Angeles won't be hanging over them this year, either. The team is all in on Rivers at QB, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. And that brings me to an interesting idea. Rivers is 34 years old, and this draft class for the Chargers looks stout. Rivers has 3-4 years left of playing at a high level, but it'll be 2-3 years before this class really comes into its own. That means the Chargers may have a solid season or two, and then essentially a 1-year window to really contend for a Super Bowl. With a lot of QBs in their mid-30s set to start leaving the game over the next 2-5 years, it'll be interesting to see how the Chargers transition from Rivers to whoever is next.

Kansas City Chiefs:

Even when you give them the benefit of the doubt through free agency and the draft, it's hard to definitively say this team got better so far. Jamaal Charles returning from injury is perhaps the greatest claim they can make regarding improving. Then again, they didn't really get it together until Charles went down so read into that what you will. They lost some central pieces on defense, and to expect some of these rookies they drafted to come in and produce at an elite level is hopeful at best. That isn't to say they had a bad draft; I don't think they did. But I don't think they drafted anyone who is going to make an immediate impact on either side of the ball. And they still lack a play maker WR opposite Maclin. They may have shored up the O-line and that should help, but the losses on defense offset that. In a year where the Raiders and Chargers appear to have gotten better the Chiefs don't appear to have made any obvious improvements. And they can't count on sweeping those teams this year.

Overall thoughts:

The Broncos are still a cut above the rest. From overall talent on the roster to coaching to front office acumen the Broncos are still the best in the west. I expect the Raiders to continue to improve, and may turn some heads this year. While the Chargers should rebound to some extent, I don't consider them a playoff contender. As for the Chiefs, I don't think they've made enough serious progress forward in a division with the defending champs and two up and comers.

Predicted Standings:

More to come. Until then, your thoughts?
Good post man.. Talk about a bloodbath division!! The last team standing will have earned it..

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before getting to roster changes, last year's regular season looked like:

Record
Broncos 12-4
Chiefs 11-5
Raiders 7-9
Chargers 4-12

Turnover Margin
Chiefs +14
Raiders 1
Broncos -4
Chargers -4

Point Differential
Chiefs +118
Broncos +59
Raiders -40
Chargers -78

Footballoutsiders Estimated Wins based on efficiency
Chiefs 11.5
Denver 10.7
Raiders
Chargers 6

Red Zone offense (TDs)
Chargers 63.6%
Raiders 61%
Chiefs 57.4%
Broncos 46.2%

Red Zone defense
Chargers 50%
Raiders 51.7%
Broncos 56.5%
Chiefs 60%

So last year, the Chargers were bad in close games and probably should've won more than they did but they also made the most of their red zone offensive trips and held up the best in red zone defensive trips.

Raiders slightly overachieved. Pretty cut and dry.

Chiefs underachieved based on the number of turnovers they had mostly due to their problems in the red zone on offense and certainly defense. Turnover margin isn't really something the Chiefs can rely on, though, and without the +14 margin they are probably closer to 8-8.

Broncos overachieved in the regular season based on their turnover margin but once that flipped then they played up to their potential and won a super bowl.

My overall guess is that before looking at roster changes the Raiders should regress by about 1-2 wins and the Chargers should improve by about 1 win just based on luck. Chiefs got lucky with Turnover differential but unlucky in other areas. Broncos got unlucky with Turnover differential but lucky in other areas. I think both are mostly a push on luck before you get to roster changes.

A lot of the Chiefs luck has been based around Marcus Peters being feast or famine and Alex Smith not turning the ball over so many of the Chiefs 'luck' trends might actually be repeatable for better and worse. CB depth has been an issue for the Chiefs for a bit and its about to get tested next year with Sean Smith leaving. S Smith is an above average #2 CB but nothing too special but that begs the question if Philip Gaines can stay healthy and step in. Everything seems like he could fit in just fine and they drafted 3 DBs.

Many of the luck trends on the Broncos might be repeatable, too. I'm not sure they are coming back with the same level of defense but it should still be solid and while I'm not sold on their offense, it probably won't be worse.

Eyeballing things, my prediction would be:
Broncos, Chiefs 10-6
Raiders 8-8
Chargers 5-11

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Good chop on the season and expected values based on certain metrics. I think what we really learn from that is the game of football at the NFL level is very dynamic and outcomes cannot always be tied to statistics. I think the Giants' Super Bowl wins over the Patriots are the best examples. The 2007 team had a 22 point differential while the 2011 team had a -6 point differential. The Patriots set a record for point differential in 2007 at 315, while they had a healthy 171. And of course we know how those two games ended.

So many variables cannot be quantified. Everything from coaching decisions to weather to some teams just having another's number. And while past performance is always a favorite indicator of future expectations, it is certainly not reliable. Especially spanning from one season to the next.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Good chop on the season and expected values based on certain metrics. I think what we really learn from that is the game of football at the NFL level is very dynamic and outcomes cannot always be tied to statistics. I think the Giants' Super Bowl wins over the Patriots are the best examples. The 2007 team had a 22 point differential while the 2011 team had a -6 point differential. The Patriots set a record for point differential in 2007 at 315, while they had a healthy 171. And of course we know how those two games ended.

So many variables cannot be quantified. Everything from coaching decisions to weather to some teams just having another's number. And while past performance is always a favorite indicator of future expectations, it is certainly not reliable. Especially spanning from one season to the next.
A lot of it is health, too. Khalil Mack was 1st team all pro in 2 positions and played all 16 games. What happens if he is only healthy for 10 games next season? Justin Houston played 11 games last year...might not even be a factor this year. Russell Okung has never played a full season...thats a highly variable position.

You just have to watch on Sunday. Both Broncos/Chiefs games were highly unlikely last year.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Health is huge. I don't believe Mark Sanchez has ever played a full season either. So that's a variable that may really come into play this year.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Sanchez is smart he will stay healthy at all cost ... If he ever leaves the game I doubt he ever gets back in other than injury ..

Broncos: 13-3
Chiefs: 12-4
Chargers: 9-7
Raiders: 5-11 I say they still stink .

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos: 13-3
Chiefs: 12-4
Chargers: 9-7
Raiders: 5-11 I say they still stink .

Bold. I like it. Three teams over .500 and the Chargers turning it around. That would look a lot like the 2013 standings actually.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Health and depth and luck. As mentioned in earlier posts, Denver was more able to avoid major injuries due to having such good depth ( on the D side ) and being able to rotate players on a regular basis and rest guys more during games than many teams. That is key component in being able to contend for a playoff spot toward end of year. I think Denver is once again in similar position on the D side but pretty vulnerable again on the offense if they get key or even moderate ( missing weeks ) injuries.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders are going to be good.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This scene reminds me of mark Davis, when he calls him a pumpkin pie hair cutter freak