• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heading to the game today. Anyone know who's pitching?

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Late the this thread. Lets just use it for spring training talk.

RDLR shit the bed again today. Archie didn't look much better either. Although he was getting strikeouts.

Beef, Drury, & Gosselin continue to hit. Beef 3-4 with a HR, two 2b, & 5 RBIs. Drury with a 2-run HR.

Marshall pitched a scoreless inning. Starting to take hold of the last BP spot if a LHP doesn't show up.

Segura, Pollack, Goldy, & Tomas all got the day off.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RDLR shit the bed again today. Archie didn't look much better either. Although he was getting strikeouts.

Beef, Drury, & Gosselin continue to hit. Beef 3-4 with a HR, two 2b, & 5 RBIs. Drury with a 2-run HR.

Marshall pitched a scoreless inning. Starting to take hold of the last BP spot if a LHP doesn't show up.

I got to see Corbin start. He got hit pretty hard. O'Brien was abysmal in left field. Lamb looked really good. Lots of Cubs fans as expected.

Salt River Field is a great place to see a game.

RDLR may just be working himself into the pen...or worse.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RDLR finally had a good outing on Saturday. I watched this game. Four innings, zero runs with five strikeouts. He gave up hits to the first two batters of the game & then retired the next ten batters in a row. He looked efficient & in control.

Bradley pitched well today as well. Three innings while giving up just a single earned run.

After two weeks of spring trainer, what is the most obvious takeaway so far is that this team continues to hit & score runs.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona is just dominating the spring. Tops in almost every offensive category and I think they're 11-3.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona is just dominating the spring. Tops in almost every offensive category and I think they're 11-3.

And that is without Pollock or Tomas playing & Goldy barely getting more than a single AB when he does play. Lots of competition in the lineup.

But the overall record during spring really doesn't mean or tell much in most circumstances. Case in point, the Phillies have a nearly identical spring record. They are going to struggle to win 65 games. Or on the opposite end of the spectrum, you have the Royals & Cubs near the bottom record wise. Both teams are expected to be in the WS chase.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is without Pollock or Tomas playing & Goldy barely getting more than a single AB when he does play. Lots of competition in the lineup.

But the overall record during spring really doesn't mean or tell much in most circumstances. Case in point, the Phillies have a nearly identical spring record. They are going to struggle to win 65 games. Or on the opposite end of the spectrum, you have the Royals & Cubs near the bottom record wise. Both teams are expected to be in the WS chase.
Yeah I know most spring success usually has a hard time translating to the regular season but it's still exciting.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Peter Obrien consistent enough to be an everyday player? It's too bad we have a logjam in the OF because that dude can mash. Maybe we should move him back to catcher.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Peter Obrien consistent enough to be an everyday player? It's too bad we have a logjam in the OF because that dude can mash. Maybe we should move him back to catcher.

I don't think so. Not in the OF. But...I think he's earned his right to possibly be the backup catcher this Spring. The potential at the plate is clear. If he's decent enough calling games, etc...seems a no-brainer to give him a shot over known quantity Tuffy G (as in it's known he sucks).

Sad to see the 5th starter spot probably going to Rubby by default. He's sucked, but so has just about everyone else that could have replaced him.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt O'Brien breaks spring with the big league club. He just doesn't have a position, yet. He has been working mainly in left & a little at 1B. I could see him being an early call-up if an OF gets hurt.

Tuffy or Herrmann will be the backup. Herrmann is guaranteed to make the roster as a utility LH bat. He can play C, 1B, RH, & LF. Herrmann is also out of options.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt O'Brien breaks spring with the big league club. He just doesn't have a position, yet. He has been working mainly in left & a little at 1B. I could see him being an early call-up if an OF gets hurt.

Tuffy or Herrmann will be the backup. Herrmann is guaranteed to make the roster as a utility LH bat. He can play C, 1B, RH, & LF. Herrmann is also out of options.

O'Brien was terrible defensively in LF the few games I saw this year. He has no business out there. But catcher...I'm all ears.

BPNAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big shock who was absolute shit again today

Rhymes with booby de la shitta

What a trainwreck he is vs almost any left handed hitter. One of the worst ever vs LHH

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big shock who was absolute shit again today

Rhymes with booby de la shitta

What a trainwreck he is vs almost any left handed hitter. One of the worst ever vs LHH

We are just going to have to live with the fact that RDLR is going to be in the rotation. Name me someone who has pitched better that deserves the spot & can pitch 150+ innings. Bradley? No. Godley? No? Wagner? No.

And he is the 5th starter even though he is slotted 4th in the rotation. Hale wants a break between lefties Corbin & Ray. Having a mid 4 era as the 5th starter isn't really that bad as long as he is pitching deep into games.

What should really be a concern to everyone is how bad Collmenter has been this spring. He gave 5 earned runs with another HR in 3 innings today. I know he is a slow starter because he relies mainly on his change-up, which is the last thing to come around for pitchers, but his velocity has dropped 3-4 mph too. If he didn't have a decent track record, I would say he has pitched himself off the roster.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O'Brien was terrible defensively in LF the few games I saw this year. He has no business out there. But catcher...I'm all ears.

He is pretty terrible everywhere on defense. That is why I don't see him breaking spring with the big league club. He needs work out in the field so that if he does get called up, he can do more than pinch hit. The best thing that could happen is that he starts off the season in Reno mashing home runs. Maybe then his stock will have risen high enough that an AL team trades a good prospect for him.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have the D-Backs in an affiliate league....was wondering who "Beef" is referring to.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope at some point Ruby can be converted to a set up man in the bullpen. Throwing 99 mph out of the bullpen would be nice.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope at some point Ruby can be converted to a set up man in the bullpen. Throwing 99 mph out of the bullpen would be nice.

That has potential written all over it. Reminds me a bit of the Roberto Osuna conundrum in Toronto. Worked out pretty well converting him to be their closer last year.