• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2021

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious Mingo, being that you never lived in or near Chicago, what made you become a White Sox fan? Most non-Chicago, Chicago fans usually go with the trendy, stinking Cubs, because they're so "adorable". Fuck the Cubs.
I grew up in Denver prior to 1960 the closest ball club to Denver was the southside of Chicago - simple as that. It also happened to coincide with a 1959 world series. I didn't know at the time - that the Sox get to the World Series once every 45 years.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up in Denver prior to 1960 the closest ball club to Denver was the southside of Chicago - simple as that. It also happened to coincide with a 1959 world series. I didn't know at the time - that the Sox get to the World Series once every 45 years.
and wasn't denver a white sox affiliate for a time?
btw i lived in lakewood for almost two years back in the late 70's.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and wasn't denver a white sox affiliate for a time?
btw i lived in lakewood for almost two years back in the late 70's.
Not as far as I know Iddy - in 57 and 58 the Denver Bears were affiliated with the NY Yankees - Tony Kubek was a guy I saw come up. By 1960 the Tigers had a long run with the Bears as their AAA affiliate - which brought Dick McAuliffe - Phil Niekro - Joe Niekro - Sandy Alomar - Bill Freehan - Denny McLain - Mickey Lolich, Don Wirt, Willie Horton and Jake Wood. In the later 60s the Bears were a Twins affiliate.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as far as I know Iddy - in 57 and 58 the Denver Bears were affiliated with the NY Yankees - Tony Kubek was a guy I saw come up. By 1960 the Tigers had a long run with the Bears as their AAA affiliate - which brought Dick McAuliffe - Phil Niekro - Joe Niekro - Sandy Alomar - Bill Freehan - Denny McLain - Mickey Lolich, Don Wirt, Willie Horton and Jake Wood. In the later 60s the Bears were a Twins affiliate.
So i checked it out. The “sky sox” from Colorado springs were affiliated with the sox from ’50 to ’58. The denver bears in ’75, ’83 and ’84 included … if I read this right. List of Chicago White Sox minor league affiliates - Wikipedia

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt iddy you are the unofficial White Sox historian on this board. Good stuff!!
i remembered they were there at least for a time because i met some of the players there when i played in denver (continental hotel). was surprised it was only the one year in '75.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a little bit of an update here makes it sorta good news/bad news, with a healthy lean on the good news side:

Reigning American League MVP Jose Abreu will be away from the White Sox for the time being due to a positive Covid-19 test, the team announced Wednesday. GM Rick Hahn told Daryl Van-Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times and other reporters that Abreu is asymptomatic and “believes he contracted a mild case of the disease in January, which is reinforced by the presence of COVID antibodies in additional testing.” Abreu is expected to join the White Sox “in the not-too-distant future,” Hahn added.

The immediate good news is obvious - Pito is asymptomatic. He won't suffer any negative effects such as what Moncada experienced. However, just because he's asymptomatic, doesn't mean he couldn't be contagious, so therein lies the somewhat bad news aspect of it. He'll have to test clean before he can rejoin the team. Hopefully, that won't take too long.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here's an even better breakdown of Abreu's covid situation - it's all in the protocols, baby:

Very well detailed. Look to see Pito back in action 4-5 days tops. :hammer:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burger emotional after arduous journey (mlb.com)

Here's your feel good story of the spring. I had to take a double take on a photo of Burger - who crushed it in college - as he was thinner than his draft weight. This guy can hit a ton. He may not make this team, but if he can establish himself in AA or AAA he will not be far behind joining the 26 man roster.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burger emotional after arduous journey (mlb.com)

Here's your feel good story of the spring. I had to take a double take on a photo of Burger - who crushed it in college - as he was thinner than his draft weight. This guy can hit a ton. He may not make this team, but if he can establish himself in AA or AAA he will not be far behind joining the 26 man roster.
Two hitters I'm gonna follow this Spring are Burger and Sheets. As you already alluded, Burger is indeed the feel-good story of this Spring. The man can rake and I suspect might be a bit better with the glove than perhaps his rep currently carries. And what I like about Sheets is he's dedicated himself to try and be more than just another 1b/DH player in this organization - he sees that we already have enough of those. He wasn't invited to the alternate training site this past summer, so he dedicated himself on his own practice time to hone his OF skills to at least offer a bit more versatility to the team.

Neither player stands much of a chance at breaking with the ballclub, but perhaps what they show in AZ and early on in the minors will keep them on the team's radar in the event there's any opportunities for a call up.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two hitters I'm gonna follow this Spring are Burger and Sheets. As you already alluded, Burger is indeed the feel-good story of this Spring. The man can rake and I suspect might be a bit better with the glove than perhaps his rep currently carries. And what I like about Sheets is he's dedicated himself to try and be more than just another 1b/DH player in this organization - he sees that we already have enough of those. He wasn't invited to the alternate training site this past summer, so he dedicated himself on his own practice time to hone his OF skills to at least offer a bit more versatility to the team.

Neither player stands much of a chance at breaking with the ballclub, but perhaps what they show in AZ and early on in the minors will keep them on the team's radar in the event there's any opportunities for a call up.
This explains why @Jiddy often posts 3 sheets to the wind. If Vaughn doesn't make it at DH to start the season Sheets is a likely candidate -being a coveted lefty.

I did see a video this AM with Vaughn in live batting practice - crushing six pitches in a row. So there's that.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This explains why @Jiddy often posts 3 sheets to the wind. If Vaughn doesn't make it at DH to start the season Sheets is a likely candidate -being a coveted lefty.

I did see a video this AM with Vaughn in live batting practice - crushing six pitches in a row. So there's that.
I'm still not convinced that Vaughn goes north with the team when the season begins. But as that video indicates, it's not due to lack of talent by any stretch. The Sox will have to prove to us fans that they'll disregard the service time issue. And unless they sign him to a Jimenez/Robert type of extension which would take any service time issues out of the equation, they'll have to forgo an extra year of having Vaughn under contract by taking him north immediately. I find it hard to believe that they'll take this latter course.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still not convinced that Vaughn goes north with the team when the season begins. But as that video indicates, it's not due to lack of talent by any stretch. The Sox will have to prove to us fans that they'll disregard the service time issue. And unless they sign him to a Jimenez/Robert type of extension which would take any service time issues out of the equation, they'll have to forgo an extra year of having Vaughn under contract by taking him north immediately. I find it hard to believe that they'll take this latter course.
I used to feel this way and I suspect the Hahn is trying to get Vaughn to sign a contract, but he may go north anyway - as he is already staggered a year down the road from the rest of the roster which is almost as important as the years of control. Another factor is the league will have to come to agreement with the players union by next year and the player's union will address this issue and may free Vaughn anyway with the agreement.