• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2020

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, let's play ball. Just kidding. Waiting is the prudent thing for now. Hope the players are working out diligently every day, while avoiding beer and weed.
While I don't like all that has been suspended, postponed, cancelled or altered because of this virus, I'm starting to agree that it is the right thing to do. Maybe this isn't as bad as the flu, but why find out the hard way that is wrong?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I don't like all that has been suspended, postponed, cancelled or altered because of this virus, I'm starting to agree that it is the right thing to do. Maybe this isn't as bad as the flu, but why find out the hard way that is wrong?
Definitely.

Any time something new pops up that we do t know everything about, we should put the entire economy on hold for a month. What’s the harm, after all? Better be safe than sorry, right?

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if the panic shoppers will chill out...

89669771_10159407253928572_4196828611841359872_n.jpg

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely.

Any time something new pops up that we do t know everything about, we should put the entire economy on hold for a month. What’s the harm, after all? Better be safe than sorry, right?
This could be a situation where we are screwed no matter which way we go. Shut down and the economy tanks. Keep going as normal and see upward of 3 million deaths. Okay, okay, that number is extreme, I know. But if this virus is as contagious as some say it is, and the death rate is 3%, there could be 100 million infected if we operated as we normally do. I'm not saying that would happen but that it could happen. Yeah, it really stinks to see the economy go south and it could be pointless to allow it to do so, but do we want to gamble on the virus only affecting maybe 500,000 and see 5,000 deaths and move forward with no precautions, only see that those numbers be spectacularly wrong? I don't know, and that is why I'm not in charge.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could be a situation where we are screwed no matter which way we go. Shut down and the economy tanks. Keep going as normal and see upward of 3 million deaths. Okay, okay, that number is extreme, I know. But if this virus is as contagious as some say it is, and the death rate is 3%, there could be 100 million infected if we operated as we normally do. I'm not saying that would happen but that it could happen. Yeah, it really stinks to see the economy go south and it could be pointless to allow it to do so, but do we want to gamble on the virus only affecting maybe 500,000 and see 5,000 deaths and move forward with no precautions, only see that those numbers be spectacularly wrong? I don't know, and that is why I'm not in charge.

I think it has been here since December. They just didn't know what it was.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just came out that the Giants released Jerry Blevins and Brandon Guyer before the transaction freeze (FZ had to do SOMETHING when he still had the chance). Blevins I had penciled in to make the team but then the Giants picked up Jarlin Garcia and Blevins had an awful spring before the shutdown. I expected Guyer to not go far but a bit surprised he got as little action as he did in spring.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess we can resurface this thread, Spring Training 2.0 (or Summer Training) is a go for July 1.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some details are coming out about Summer Training. Teams can bring up to 60 players, but only those 60 players will be eligible to play in the season.

Active rosters will be 30 players, and the remaining 30 will be 'taxi squad' players. Farhan deeply approves of this.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some details are coming out about Summer Training. Teams can bring up to 60 players, but only those 60 players will be eligible to play in the season.

Active rosters will be 30 players, and the remaining 30 will be 'taxi squad' players. Farhan deeply approves of this.
I thought I read somewhere that teams may have an option to hold "summer training" for the 40 man in one facility and assign the other 20 to another facility.

There was also talk about opening up transactions on Friday. FZ must have that date circled on his calendar, with about 50 possibilities of transactions he'd like to do that day.

I think that teams have to have their active roster down to 26 within the first month of play. Wonder what the likelihood that we see all 60 players in a game by the end of the first two weeks of regular season play?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I read somewhere that teams may have an option to hold "summer training" for the 40 man in one facility and assign the other 20 to another facility.

There was also talk about opening up transactions on Friday. FZ must have that date circled on his calendar, with about 50 possibilities of transactions he'd like to do that day.

I think that teams have to have their active roster down to 26 within the first month of play. Wonder what the likelihood that we see all 60 players in a game by the end of the first two weeks of regular season play?

Farhan:

Challenge-Accepted-Meme-07.jpg

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Where would they put the other 20 players? Some college baseball field? Put the rest of the players up in USF or something?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants corner infielder Pablo Sandoval and lefties Tony Watson and Tyler Anderson will all be good to go for camp’s return, Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle tweets (1, 2). Catcher Aramis Garcia could be ready to come back in mid- to late August, meanwhile, and reliever Reyes Moronta may be set by then or in September. Sandoval had Tommy John surgery on his right elbow last September; Watson dealt with shoulder issues before spring training shut down; Anderson underwent a procedure on his left knee last summer; Garcia’s still recovering from February hip surgery; and Moronta’s on the mend from the right shoulder surgery he had in September.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how service time for guys with no service time will work. For example, if the Giants call up Bart, do they lose a year of service time? Do the same rules apply where if they wait a few days, they get that extra year of control?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how service time for guys with no service time will work. For example, if the Giants call up Bart, do they lose a year of service time? Do the same rules apply where if they wait a few days, they get that extra year of control?
I would guess that they are still hammering out the details of service time for guys with no prior service time. I'm sure that whatever is decided will have a strong impact on whether guys like Bart even get to play this season.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess that they are still hammering out the details of service time for guys with no prior service time. I'm sure that whatever is decided will have a strong impact on whether guys like Bart even get to play this season.

It'd be very cool to see guys with no service time accrue no service time for this year, but I admit it's wishful thinking.

Still, I see speculation that the Giants could keep their top prospects on the taxi squad all year, just to have them close by and learning from their coaching staff. Mean we could be hearing a lot about them.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Source: Giants to carry top four prospects on taxi squad

"The future is arriving at Oracle Park a lot sooner than expected.

With the minor league season cancelled and a taxi squad added for the 60-game season, the Giants plan to carry their top prospects throughout the summer and get them crucial developmental work, sources tell NBC Sports Bay Area. The taxi squad will include Joey Bart, Marco Luciano, Heliot Ramos and Hunter Bishop, the organization's top four prospects.

For Luciano and Bishop in particular, this is a huge leap. Luciano, a shortstop who widely is considered one of the top 25 prospects in the game, is only 18 years old and has just 179 professional at-bats. Bishop, who turned 22 on Thursday, was a first-round pick just 12 months ago."