• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2012

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was actually a pretty highly touted prospect for the fish before his injury, so it isn't really fair to call him a sleeper, IMHO.

In an in-game interview with Romo on MLBTV, Romo was really singing Correa's praises. Big lanky kid with a very live arm.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So what would you think if he's hitting 260/330/420 with 8 HR and 35 RBI at the halfway point?

Huff? I'd think the Giants are better served to have Belt and Posey get the bulk of the AB at first.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We'll see about Correa. I'm thinking the guy to watch (besides Crick) is Osich.

We're counting on you to give us a scouting report when you get down there.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what would you think if he's hitting 260/330/420 with 8 HR and 35 RBI at the halfway point?

If this ^

Huff? I'd think the Giants are better served to have Belt and Posey get the bulk of the AB at first.

Then this ^

If Bochy is resigned to give Huff the bulk of the starts at first, then I'd prefer to have Belt down in the minors (so I can watch him in Fresno ;)) so he can play everyday and rake. If Huff starts looking like last years version, then send down Blanco and bring up Belt.

Here's what I want the lineup to look like assuming a healthy roster:

CF - Pagan
2B - Sanchez
3B - Pablo
C - Posey
LF - Cabrera
1B - Huff/Belt (if Huff starts hitting more Huffers)
SS - Crawford*
RF - Schierholtz*

Bench:
Fontenot
Theriot
Pill
Blanco
Whiteside/Stewart

* I was with you tzill with having Nate ahead of Craw, but I liked gp's assessment. Crawford doesn't have to feel like he has to go out of his comfort zone by expanding the strike zone in front of the pitcher. Also, I'm not sure if it was just a hot streak or not, but I think Nate hit pretty well out of the 8 spot for quite some time either last year or the year before.

When Posey plays 1B, I'd like to see this:

CF - Pagan
2B - Sanchez
3B - Pablo
1B - Posey
LF - Cabrera
RF - Schierholtz
SS - Crawford
C - Teh Suck

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
BTW, today's game against the dodgers will be broadcast on the mlb network at 7pm. Chance to see Zito's added movement on his fastball!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, but sunk cost and all, if he puts up those numbers I think you have to leave him out there. Interestingly, Baggs was asked what Huffer would need to do to lose the job (which AB says is Huff's to lose) and he said "he'd have to no longer be able to get around on the fastball."

Bears watching.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're counting on you to give us a scouting report when you get down there.

If I see him I will report back. Two fucking days...

[YOUTUBE]v_Yx0X-eHn8[/YOUTUBE]

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this ^

Then this ^

If Bochy is resigned to give Huff the bulk of the starts at first, then I'd prefer to have Belt down in the minors (so I can watch him in Fresno ;)) so he can play everyday and rake. If Huff starts looking like last years version, then send down Blanco and bring up Belt.

Here's what I want the lineup to look like assuming a healthy roster:

CF - Pagan
2B - Sanchez
3B - Pablo
C - Posey
LF - Cabrera
1B - Huff/Belt (if Huff starts hitting more Huffers)
SS - Crawford*
RF - Schierholtz*

Bench:
Fontenot
Theriot
Pill
Blanco
Whiteside/Stewart

* I was with you tzill with having Nate ahead of Craw, but I liked gp's assessment. Crawford doesn't have to feel like he has to go out of his comfort zone by expanding the strike zone in front of the pitcher. Also, I'm not sure if it was just a hot streak or not, but I think Nate hit pretty well out of the 8 spot for quite some time either last year or the year before.

When Posey plays 1B, I'd like to see this:

CF - Pagan
2B - Sanchez
3B - Pablo
1B - Posey
LF - Cabrera
RF - Schierholtz
SS - Crawford
C - Teh Suck

All hail Teh GP (and I hadn't considered the pressure on Stamos) but I'm not sure you want Nate bunting as 8th hitters sometimes need to do in front of a PH.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, today's game against the dodgers will be broadcast on the mlb network at 7pm. Chance to see Zito's added movement on his fastball!

Crouchgate?

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys know about Gregor Blanco? Any chance his speed helps us at some point down the road? He has great speed as well, and apparently tore it up in the Venezuelan winter league.

Edit: Well, it appears Blanco has had his fair share of "cups of coffee" at the major league level. Looking at his limited numbers, it appears he does a decent job at getting on base but has no power and hits for a low average.

I wonder if his defense is shaky. What else is there to explain why the Royals and other teams have never given the guy a real shot at the major league level?

T: I fucked up and deleted your message. Apparently I need more sleep. Please re-post.

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys know about Gregor Blanco? Any chance his speed helps us at some point down the road? He has great speed as well, and apparently tore it up in the Venezuelan winter league.

Edit: Well, it appears Blanco has had his fair share of "cups of coffee" at the major league level. Looking at his limited numbers, it appears he does a decent job at getting on base but has no power and hits for a low average.

I wonder if his defense is shaky. What else is there to explain why the Royals and other teams have never given the guy a real shot at the major league level?

He's my 25th guy on the roster. I have Belt going to Fresno:

SP: Timmy, Bum, Cain, Song, Zeets
RP: Beard, Romo, Casilla, Lopez, Affeldt, Mota, Hensley
C: Buster, StewyIF: Belt, Franchez, Stamos, Panda, Riot, Swamp Thing
OF: Melky, Pagan, Nate, Blanco

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blanco Winter League numbers: fourth in the league in batting (.337), first in runs scored (47), sixth in hits (66), fifth in doubles (14), second in triples (5 ), sixth in total bases (102), fifth in extra base hits (23), first in walks (47), third in slugging (.520) and first in on-base percentage (.478).

Blanco played for three seasons in Atlanta (2008-’10), where he batted .252/.361/.309 in 204 games with the Braves.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What do you guys know about Blanco? Any chance his speed helps us at some point down the road? He has great speed as well, and apparently tore it up in the Venezuelan winter league.

Looks like a legit player to me, but it's a toss up whether he makes the club out of ST.

I'm assuming Belt and Burriss (as the Velezian supersub), make the team, so I think it comes down to Pill and Blanco for that last roster spot. Weigh the need for a right-handed bat vs. another speedy OF. Perhaps if Posey is kept out for extended spring training they both make the club.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He's my 25th guy on the roster. I have Belt going to Fresno:

SP: Timmy, Bum, Cain, Song, Zeets
RP: Beard, Romo, Casilla, Lopez, Affeldt, Mota, Hensley
C: Buster, Stewy
IF: Belt, Franchez, Stamos, Panda, Riot, Swamp Thing
OF: Melky, Pagan, Nate, Blanco

Thanks. And anyone but Whiteside. Apparently Sanchez's Defense is not MLB ready huh?.

More Blanco info.:

Blanco's Winter League numbers: finished fourth in the league in batting (.337), first in runs scored
(47), sixth in hits (66), fifth in doubles (14), second in triples (5 ), sixth in total bases (102), fifth in extra base hits (23), first in walks (47), third in slugging (.520) and first in on-base percentage (.478).

Blanco's three seasons in Atlanta (2008-’10): .252/.361/.309 in 204 games.

So the "Belt" in the inf lineup must be Pill? Who is Swamp Thing? Huffer?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the "Belt" in the inf lineup must be Pill? Who is Swamp Thing? Huffer?

Brain Fart, I meant Huff not Belt. Swamp Thing is Fonty.

whiteside's fault.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fontenot! The loan Ragin' Cajun. Don't let him too close to Crawdaddy.

Riot is also from Louisiana, and he, Swampy and The Beard all attended LSU.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lineup for the stinkin' doyers:

Cabrera - CF
Burriss - LF
Schierholtz - RF
Pill - 1B
H. Sanchez - DH
Fontenot - 2B
Gillaspie - 3B
Crawford - SS
Whiteside - C

We get the $20MM Crouchmeister and Burriss in the outfield.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly (per the Merc/Twitter) Barry Zito's first pitch came in at 82mph. I'm down on bended leg hoping he can get that mph up.....