• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2012

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you sense the baseball gods have stopped frowning on the Giants? And is that a hint of a smile on their faces?

Well they crapped on em so hard last year it's an improvement just to have a normal season.

I'll believe they are smiling if we win some April ballgames. Let's take 2 in AZ to start, shall we?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Switch Panda and Posey. They may not do that but they should.

Was Nate 'hosed' or is he just not good enough to be a starting corner outfielder in the majors?[/QUOTE]

Poh-tay-to, poh-tah-to....

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, since it will be a SSS up to the All-Star Break (which I think would be a better time to evaluate Nate's worth to the org vs. Belt's major league development), I wouldn't think extended slumps. I'm thinking more along the lines of an awful May or below average June. Of course, if he is in Fresno up until that point, all bets are off. I like the idea of letting Belt and Sanchez gain some more confidence in Fresno.

The other important aspect of this is that Huff will not be on the team next year. Nate becomes much more valuable in that scenario. Granted, I would never advocate holding onto Nate if I thought getting rid of him would help the Giants win. I might feel that way at the ASB or near the trade deadline, but I don't feel that way now. All in all, this is a good "problem" to have, and I certainly understand the possible benefits to waiving Schierholtz. I just think the potential negatives (and inevitable injuries) outweigh those benefits, for now. I can't wait to see the final rosters.

In other news, Emmanuel Burriss has not impressed me enough to completely understand waiving Fontenot, but I'm keeping an open mind (mostly because I have always wanted Burriss to be a consistent major leaguer).

This. I assume the FO knows 100x what I do, but I just can't see keeping ManBur over Swampy....ManBur has NEVER shown he can hit.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with Franchez on the DL, I felt the OF depth was more of an issue because Melky's defense worries me and Huff's and Belt's OF D routinely scare me. Keeping Schierholtz and Blanco instead of Arias or Fontenot is what pushes the depth question in favor of the OF, while maintaining good D in the IF. Certainly, Franchez will (hopefully) balance things out nicely upon his return.

Why would that be?

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whiteside's fault he hurt his throwing elbow...

;)

Whiteside jokes never get old. :)

To respond to Mays...I don't think any of us actually hate him. Last year we were just trying to laugh through the pain of having to watch such a horrible offense. Whiteside should have never been thrown into a everyday-player role at the major league level.

Let's hope it never happens again.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whiteside jokes never get old. :)

To respond to Mays...I don't think any of us actually hate him. Last year we were just trying to laugh through the pain of having to watch such a horrible offense. Whiteside should have never been thrown into a everyday-player role at the major league level.

Let's hope it never happens again.

I remember being specifically livid at him for swinging at the first pitch when the bases had just been loaded by a walk (late in a close game of course). I think he did it twice. Mr. Can't Hit Anyfuckingthing can't take a fucking walk in that situation?

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember being specifically livid at him for swinging at the first pitch when the bases had just been loaded by a walk (late in a close game of course). I think he did it twice. Mr. Can't Hit Anyfuckingthing can't take a fucking walk in that situation?

Evidently swinging at the first pitch provided some pain relief to his sore elbow. And provided just simple pain for Giants fans.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember being specifically livid at him for swinging at the first pitch when the bases had just been loaded by a walk (late in a close game of course). I think he did it twice.

Pedro Feliz???

:whistle:

:heh:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
DeRosa (Nats), Torres (Mets), Ross (Sox), and Keppinger (Rays) made their respective opening day lineups.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would that be?

Strange routes and a very strong, but not always accurate arm. His speed helps him recover nicely in left field, where his glove-hand saves him with shots down the line. A loopy route in Teh Phone Booth's right field can too easily lead to a triple or double that should have been 90 feet less. Granted, the glove hand helps in Triple's Alley and he has Pagan to help him with the toughest part of the ballpark, but if a couple of doubles in the corner lead to errant throws and extra bags (EDIT: Baggarly pun not intended), I'll be wanting Melky to head back to left and Belt/Huff to go to first (with one of them going to the bench, obviously). That doesn't even take into account the mistakes that the Water Buffalo and Giraffe could make, and even though we're discussing Cabrera's defense, the whole team is affected by having to stick him in right. Nate certainly makes his mistakes, but I haven't witnessed him take many bad routes to balls. He has had his fair share of overthrows, but I think he has grown out of thinking he doesn't need to hit the cut-off man. Hopefully, Melky has, too.

At the beginning of the year especially (and maybe all season), I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of D for some always much-needed O (plus, M-Cab has looked great in left this spring [haven't seen him play right at The Booth, yet]). Also, Melky can definitely prove me wrong. As stated above, his speed and arm strength are phenomenal. The other stuff might just be a focus issue. The Giants couldn't get rid of one headcase without picking up the potential for another one, could they? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeRosa (Nats), Torres (Mets), Ross (Sox), and Keppinger (Rays) made their respective opening day lineups.

Good for them. I can honestly say that I like all 4 of those guys and wish them nothing but the best. DeRo was a waste as far as playing time went, but supposedly he was good on the bench. Keppy had some plane troubles, but he hit admirably while here. Ross and Torres will get a free pass for any bad baseball played due to their 2010 contributions.

A little surprised by Ross being the opening day LF'er. Is Crawford injured? EDIT: yup, had wrist surgery and is presumed to be out for a month or so.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow. Good for Cody and Mark. I expected Torres and Kep to start, as they would be starting for the Giants tomorrow had they remained in SF (and Bochy continued to avoid the Nate in center idea that I agree with you on). I'm assuming DeRo and the Boss only got nods due to injuries. If not, the BoSox and Nats didn't have as good of an off-season as I thought.

jingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Maybe he was trying to swing early on the second pitch and his timing was a little off? Or maybe he was told to take a strike before he swings and he wanted to be efficient and get both things out of the way early in the at bat?

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe he was trying to swing early on the second pitch and his timing was a little off? Or maybe he was told to take a strike before he swings and he wanted to be efficient and get both things out of the way early in the at bat?

Splash.

Thread over. jingo wins.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for them. I can honestly say that I like all 4 of those guys and wish them nothing but the best. DeRo was a waste as far as playing time went, but supposedly he was good on the bench. Keppy had some plane troubles, but he hit admirably while here. Ross and Torres will get a free pass for any bad baseball played due to their 2010 contributions.

A little surprised by Ross being the opening day LF'er. Is Crawford injured? EDIT: yup, had wrist surgery and is presumed to be out for a month or so.

I was a huge Crawford fan, and had hoped that the Giants might have been in e running for him. But man, what a disaster he has been in Boston! Not Adam Dunn disasterish, but still. All that money for lousy stats.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ross 0-4
DeRosa 0-4
Torres 0-2, 1 BB, 1 R
Keppinger DNP

0-10, 1 BB, 1 R .000 BA, .090 OBP

Sounds like the Giants from last year...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ross 0-4
DeRosa 0-4
Torres 0-2, 1 BB, 1 R
Keppinger DNP

How dare you bring that small sample size! I mean, what were the Giants thinking letting those guys go, eh?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ross 0-4
DeRosa 0-4
Torres 0-2, 1 BB, 1 R
Keppinger DNP

...and one strained calf. He's headed to the dl.