• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Ball 2012.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
a few more tweets from AB about the scrimmage:

A few non-participants tonight: James Gayle, J.R. Collins had classwork. WR Marcus Davis had a hamstring issue. #Hokies

If you didn't know, it was cold tonight. CB Donaldven Manning, a south Florida guy, said he had four or five layers on. Was still freezing.

Lots of talk tonight about the d-line. A few players brought up the New York Giants as a model. Athletic, play-maker types at all positions

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few thoughts on the WR's...

Any word on Davis' hammy?? I would imagine it isn't of the "end of the season" kind.

Is Corey Fuller looking good in the scrimmages or what (haven't been to any). Maybe I am reading into his stats too much, but they are about as good as anyone's thus far.

Nice write-up on Robert's by Bitter a few days ago. I am really pulling for that guy this year. He was a total beast a few years back on KR and had a lot of potential at WR. Hopefully he can stay healthy and be a real contributor at WR. I think Roberts, Davis' and, Coles will make for a formidable first 3 if they can continue to improve and they stay healthy...

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few thoughts on the WR's...

Any word on Davis' hammy?? I would imagine it isn't of the "end of the season" kind.

Marcus Davis ‏ @MDavis_7 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Time off is the only way to heal this... So I will be back soon... Appreciate all the support !!

Marcus Davis ‏ @MDavis_7 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
@Corderoknows nah ima just chill and rehab and see how it feels later on this week!

If he's talking about 'later this week' I would think it would be fine come season time. His spirits seem pretty high

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sheewww .. That would've sucked.

Logan Thomas 7-13, 90 yards, TD. Corey Fuller 3 catches, 56 yards, TD. Demitri Knowles 2 catches, 64 yards, TD <<< cause for optimism for sure. If Fuller and Knowles can contribute, that will give us 3 big contributors in Roberts/Coles/Davis and then these two. Fuller and Knowles are burners. Haven't heard much about Asante so I don't figure him to be much of a contributor.

With the flexibility in the secondary (somewhat) and the DL flexibility, we stand to give offenses fits this upcoming season. Hopefully we can stay healthy. It's nice to hear that Manning is getting reps and holding his own, even with his lack of size.

This may warrant a new thread but read a few articles yesterday that were interesting and could open good conversation here on the pistol formation/offensive identity crisis

Identity Crisis: Another Offensive Makeover in Blacksburg | The Key Play

How the Pistol Formation Would Look at Virginia Tech - Gobbler Country

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish we would stick with 1 set. I prefer a pro style myself but that is just me

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm looking at the pistol as the next step in the evolution of Tech's offense.

A couple of years ago Tech was much too predictable on offense. We improved a good bit between the 20s last year, but bogged down in the Red Zone. If the pistol formation allows us to be more unpredictable and more explosive in the Red Zone, I'm all for it.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
This may warrant a new thread but read a few articles yesterday that were interesting and could open good conversation here on the pistol formation/offensive identity crisis

Identity Crisis: Another Offensive Makeover in Blacksburg | The Key Play

How the Pistol Formation Would Look at Virginia Tech - Gobbler Country

I looked and cant find anything about it but im almost 100% sure we ran some pistol TT soph and JR years, so its not like it wasnt already in the playbook. We have been a "multiple" offense for some time now so i dont look at adding (bringing back) the pistol as a drastic change as much as just adding a wrinkle. FWIW i know they are showing a lot of it now but that is what the sping is for, i would guess during summer practice and fall prep that you will see less and less of it and only see it a couple times per game (at most) during the season.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I looked and cant find anything about it but im almost 100% sure we ran some pistol TT soph and JR years, so its not like it wasnt already in the playbook. We have been a "multiple" offense for some time now so i dont look at adding (bringing back) the pistol as a drastic change as much as just adding a wrinkle. FWIW i know they are showing a lot of it now but that is what the sping is for, i would guess during summer practice and fall prep that you will see less and less of it and only see it a couple times per game (at most) during the season.
The coaches expect to use it quite a bit especially with jc behind lt

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AndyBitterVT- Favorite figure from the Donaldven Manning post: Listed at 155 lbs, he's 64 lbs lighter than Antone Exum, who moved to CB this spring.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not an advocate of going full-blown towards this kind of offense (in the long run -- it would hurt recruiting) ... but based on the players at our skill positions and the types of QBs that we're recruiting, sounds like a good wrinkle to be able to use. I could see a lot of read-options out of a pistol.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The coaches expect to use it quite a bit especially with jc behind lt

I guess we will see, but i look at it like the spread going into TT's senior year: we heard what a big part of the offense it was going to be all spring but really only ran it a few times per when the season actually rolled around. I honestly think we will be a spread first team this year with wrinkles of the power and pistol mixed in.

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like sparko, I have mixed feelings about going to this set enough that it is a fixture in the offense. In terms of recruiting, I think it is a gamble because it could either lead to great results (i.e. a national championship) which would certainly boost recruiting, or we could do about the same but deter quarterbacks and other skill players that want to be a in a pro style offense.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Great analysis and I agree. First, we did run some pistol with Tyrod, I recall in an attempt to get him away from the line faster. It had mixed results and ultimately the staff moved in favor of the full shotgun snap.

I especially agreed with the comment regarding multiple offensive sets. I'll add that formation isn't the sole identity of an offensive style. The pistol can give the offense as much flexibility as a single back shotgun, and perhaps more than under center with the same personnel.

Our offense only changes so much. I'd expect a similar offensive base to what we've always had, perhaps tweaked to the players' collective skill sets. As long as ole Frank is around, we aren't going to wake up one Saturday watching a Paul Johnson or Mike Leach style offense.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Maybe im wrong but i dont get the feeling that we are in any way converting to a "pistol" offense (would be totally against that!). I think it is just another set that we are adding to our playbook. Again maybe im wrong but i dont see this as any different than putting in the spread a few years ago, the wild cat with Boone, or any other tweeks that we have made over the years.

I agree that if we were to totally switch the offense it would most likely have a negative impact on recruiting but i think having a couple wrinkles that put you in the EZ a little more often could also be a big boost to our recruiting.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
highlights and interviews from last wkends scrimmage courtesy of HayleyVT@twitter: <----FWIW Im surprised they let this much film get out.

(if you couldnt be there its worth watching)[/B].

[YOUTUBE]30l-ot6mS6E[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Great analysis and I agree. First, we did run some pistol with Tyrod, I recall in an attempt to get him away from the line faster. It had mixed results and ultimately the staff moved in favor of the full shotgun snap.

I especially agreed with the comment regarding multiple offensive sets. I'll add that formation isn't the sole identity of an offensive style. The pistol can give the offense as much flexibility as a single back shotgun, and perhaps more than under center with the same personnel.
agree and its not like our identity is that of a high powered offense so i think having a few wrinkles that can lead to big plays would only help.

Our offense only changes so much. I'd expect a similar offensive base to what we've always had, perhaps tweaked to the players' collective skill sets. As long as ole Frank is around, we aren't going to wake up one Saturday watching a Paul Johnson or Mike Leach style offense.

exactly, you pretty much summed up what i was trying to get at with one paragraph. haha