• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sous Vide..

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone on here have this or do this.. Sounds like something i want to try..
Any recommendations?

Wunder.Noid

All your trophies are belong to Bama
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any recommendations?
I personally have not but know a lot of people who do. They all swear by it if that's any help.

My personal reason for not hoping on board is that I don't really care for the ideal of cooking food in plastic bags any more than I have to.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s a whole thread on it in here somewhere.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love it.

Just did a bottom round roast for 36 hours, then finished it on the grill for 8 minutes. It ended up nearly as tender as a prime rib, but still had that good meaty roast beef chew not all falling apart like a pot roast or something.

I have the anova wifi enabled cooker. I can throw a frozen steak in ice water in the morning and start it from work to come home to a perfectly cooked steak that just needs searing on a grill or xast iron skillet.

Made the best mashed taters ive ever had this past Thanksgiving, and it let us free up a cooking space. Since my family likes to bake stuffing, and fresh yeast rolls, and nac and cheese, and that nasty geeen been casserole, and some creamed corn thingy. We already kicked the bird out of the kitchen so everybody could make their own special whatever.

I've heard from a ton of peopke that its literally the very best way to cook eggs. Soft boiled, poached, scotch eggs, etc. Ive never trued any of those yet though.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love it.

Just did a bottom round roast for 36 hours, then finished it on the grill for 8 minutes. It ended up nearly as tender as a prime rib, but still had that good meaty roast beef chew not all falling apart like a pot roast or something.

I have the anova wifi enabled cooker. I can throw a frozen steak in ice water in the morning and start it from work to come home to a perfectly cooked steak that just needs searing on a grill or xast iron skillet.

Made the best mashed taters ive ever had this past Thanksgiving, and it let us free up a cooking space. Since my family likes to bake stuffing, and fresh yeast rolls, and nac and cheese, and that nasty geeen been casserole, and some creamed corn thingy. We already kicked the bird out of the kitchen so everybody could make their own special whatever.

I've heard from a ton of peopke that its literally the very best way to cook eggs. Soft boiled, poached, scotch eggs, etc. Ive never trued any of those yet though.

I have the Anova as well.... Bought it during black Friday for almost half price... I have only used it a couple times so far but the flank steak and the sausages I cooked with it turned out perfectly cooked and tender as hell....

I have also been meaning to try soft boiled eggs... maybe tmrw I'll give it a shot

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I cook this way, the more i get used to it and the more i love it........

There is def a learning curve, but it only takes a couple tries to get over it.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I cook this way, the more i get used to it and the more i love it........

There is def a learning curve, but it only takes a couple tries to get over it.

Same. The more I cook with it, the more I look to cook with it.

Theres a YouTube channel called sousvideeverything. Between Kenji Alt-Lopez the food scientist guy who helped develop the Anova app and built in recommended guidelines, and that channel I have found either good starting points or exact recipes for pretty much everything I've wanted to do. The sousvideeverything mashed potatoes are the ones my family loves.

fear and loathing

American Idle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any recommendations?

I just recently got the All-Clad sous vide and the FoodSaver quick vacuum marinader.

61V63Mj6ucL._AC_UL654_QL65_.jpg
71hMjyGebZL._AC_UL654_QL65_.jpg

Both work great.

What it works for:

* chicken breast: marinaded in teriyaki; moist; not stringy

* Mahi Mahi, sous vided with a pat of butter and the zest of a lemon; outstanding

fear and loathing

American Idle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just recently got the All-Clad sous vide and the FoodSaver quick vacuum marinader.

61V63Mj6ucL._AC_UL654_QL65_.jpg
71hMjyGebZL._AC_UL654_QL65_.jpg

Both work great.

What it works for:

* chicken breast: marinaded in teriyaki; moist; not stringy

* Mahi Mahi, sous vided with a pat of butter and the zest of a lemon; outstanding

* forgot to mention: I bag the ingredients using the FoodSaver vacuum sealer:

81sKNy3287L._SL1500_.jpg

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
* forgot to mention: I bag the ingredients using the FoodSaver vacuum sealer:

81sKNy3287L._SL1500_.jpg
I have a food saver.. mines a little older than that one.. it's white.. i bought it a few years ago.. idk.. it sounded interesting at the time

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a food saver.. mines a little older than that one.. it's white.. i bought it a few years ago.. idk.. it sounded interesting at the time

:csb:

fear and loathing

American Idle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been noticing that sous vide-ing meat yeilds a "juicy" product.

I'm pretty sure it's not merely a matter of not drying out the meat, but rather, the melting of connective tissues into gelatin (which is "juiciness").

It's quite noticeable with chicken breast and sea scallops.

I should note that my wife didn't particularly like the somewhat gelatinous sea scallops. I loved them.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been noticing that sous vide-ing meat yeilds a "juicy" product.

I'm pretty sure it's not merely a matter of not drying out the meat, but rather, the melting of connective tissues into gelatin (which is "juiciness").

It's quite noticeable with chicken breast and sea scallops.

I should note that my wife didn't particularly like the somewhat gelatinous sea scallops. I loved them.

Any reason you couldn’t give them a quick sear on very high heat afterwards? Might address the texture issue for her.

fear and loathing

American Idle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any reason you couldn’t give them a quick sear on very high heat afterwards? Might address the texture issue for her.

I'll just sear/baste them in brown butter from now on.

The sous vide'd chicken breasts are to die for: Just pounded the thick end a bit with a rubber mallet, trimmed the tenders off, heavily salt-and-peppered them, vacuum bagged them, sous vide'd them (150ºF; 45 minutes).

Used them for green chili enchiladas: perfect.

The other 3 bags went right into the freezer, for down the line...